Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Dogs Name: Kelly
Titles: CD Obedience & Therapy
Dogs Age: puppy
Gallery Pics: 0 Visit Beaumont67's Gallery
Thanked 24,681 Times in 9,225 Posts
How did you teach your Doberman to not pull on a leash? Any particular methods did you use?
I first put a leash on my dobe at 3 months old, and let her drag it around on the grass behind her for a week...so her leash was not foreign to her.
When I leash-walked Amy (starting with baby steps), I would talk much, with comments like "stay with DadDa"....over and over / talking her into, being by my side.
If she pulled I stopped in my tracks, and the short steps grew into normal steps, and she learned to stay by my side, through voice communication.
At what age did you start to see any improvements? How often do they need reminders?
Roughly 3.5 months...probably took less than one week for Amy to get what i wanted.
What type of collar and leash do you use? (prong, harness, flexi, etc)
- choke chain, but only low level correction
- I pup a choke chain on my 8 week old pup...and if she is biting me or stirring in bed, I put my little finger in the ring (with light tug)...and make a clicker sound, from the chain link friction and noise
- therefore, almost from day1, puppy Amy has been conditioned...to know right from wrong, from the sound of a chain click plus my voice
What distractions are the hardest to overcome?
- fire hydrants and traffic light posts...that dogs had previously marked
- I trained Amy on our dead end road (in front of our house)...no neighbor dogs
- I also trained her to ignore squirrels
Are there any particular situations that you find more difficult to walk in than others? (Large crowds, parks, other dogs around)
- other dogs can be a challenge (in younger years), and I usually avoid much using a sit/stay helps
------------Kelly & (Amy - RIP @ 11.7 y/o)
Last edited by Beaumont67; 08-07-2012 at 07:22 PM.