Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My dobe pup came home a week ago, she’s 10 weeks today and cropped. I’ve tried a few posting methods so far and am stuck between the backer rod and zip tie methods.

I’ve seen many people say that the Backer Rod methods produces a better shaped ear but I’m not entirely sure that I can see the difference. Does anyone care to elaborate?
Photos showing the differences are encouraged!!

here’s my Ezra, currently with zip ties in.

·
Super Moderator
22,848 Posts
Both methods work fine. I don't think one produces a better shape than the other. I think sometimes zip ties work better for certain thinner, long show crops where it's harder to fit backer rods in the ear. I posted my male with backer rods, female with zip ties (their photos are below in my signature). Both methods work just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both methods work fine. I don't think one produces a better shape than the other. I think sometimes zip ties work better for certain thinner, long show crops where it's harder to fit backer rods in the ear. I posted my male with backer rods, female with zip ties (their photos are below in my signature). Both methods work just fine.
Thank you! Your dogs are gorgeous, and I love the sweaters.

·
Big Lil pup
7,333 Posts
What MC said^^^^ So... What ever you and Ezra find easiest and most comfortable! From the pic on your other thread, it seems Ezra's crop is not particularly long and they appear to have a good head start. IMO, you will end up with a good result whichever way you go.

Great photo, BTW.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
8,915 Posts
I use backer rod for regular posts that go down in the base of the ear, and zip ties when I start doing posts that don't go down in the base - they sit on the little knob that sticks out. Lots of methods for posting!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What MC said^^^^ So... What ever you and Ezra find easiest and most comfortable! From the pic on your other thread, it seems Ezra's crop is not particularly long and they appear to have a good head start. IMO, you will end up with a good result whichever way you go.

Great photo, BTW.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
thank you, we both definitely prefer the simplicity of the zip tie method - I also feel more comfortable with it as it allows more air flow to the ear. Her ears are definitely taking well to it and already stand on their own between postings.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I haven't and I've used both and posted other peoples puppies by either depending on what they want. Realistically what controls the ultimate shape is the basic shape of the ear (the uncropped ear) and exactly how the crop is done--and the pinna (the ear leather itself) is cropped. The posting itself just enables you to get a standing ear. It really doesn't control the shape at all.

dobebug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't and I've used both and posted other peoples puppies by either depending on what they want. Realistically what controls the ultimate shape is the basic shape of the ear (the uncropped ear) and exactly how the crop is done--and the pinna (the ear leather itself) is cropped. The posting itself just enables you to get a standing ear. It really doesn't control the shape at all.

dobebug
This is great! Thanks a bunch for clearing this up. I definitely wondered how the backer rod could make such a drastic difference, this makes much more sense.

·
Super Moderator
22,848 Posts
I agree with Bug. You can't really change the "shape" of the ear through posting. It's shaped by the crop itself. The only thing you really have some control over is how straight the ears are (and even then, it's not 100% within your control, if you have very heavy ear leather, or something like that). You can also change the shape slightly if you accidentally tape the "flap" at the front incorrectly. But you really can't change anything substantial - you are far beyond that point once the ears have been cropped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agree that the overall shape of the crop isn't really going to be affected by the posting method much if done well.
But, the ear does seem to conform to the rounded shape of the backer rod. I thought that the rounded shape might help produce a sturdier or more rigid standing ear if that makes sense.
To sort of verbalize what I'm visualizing, if you took a strip of paper, say 1" by 6", and just held the end, that strip of paper would fold right over. But if you were to bend the bottom to add some curvature, that strip would stand.
My pup is 13 months old, when we were full posting all the time, the ear seemed to maintain that curvature. we later(too early) tried switching to breathrites for the tips. one of the tips sort of flattened out because of that and even after going back to full posts it never really retook that form. but the other ear still has that shape. we are still posting.
So, now I'm curious, were my assumptions incorrect?
For you that posted full time with backer rod or similar, do the ears eventually loose that curved form from the shape of the backer rod overtime?

Reactions: L&E

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree that the overall shape of the crop isn't really going to be affected by the posting method much if done well.
But, the ear does seem to conform to the rounded shape of the backer rod. I thought that the rounded shape might help produce a sturdier or more rigid standing ear if that makes sense.
To sort of verbalize what I'm visualizing, if you took a strip of paper, say 1" by 6", and just held the end, that strip of paper would fold right over. But if you were to bend the bottom to add some curvature, that strip would stand.
My pup is 13 months old, when we were full posting all the time, the ear seemed to maintain that curvature. we later(too early) tried switching to breathrites for the tips. one of the tips sort of flattened out because of that and even after going back to full posts it never really retook that form. but the other ear still has that shape. we are still posting.
So, now I'm curious, were my assumptions incorrect?
For you that posted full time with backer rod or similar, do the ears eventually loose that curved form from the shape of the backer rod overtime?
Well analyzed and great question, I too am now curious.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Again, the crop also affects the shape of the ear. The better Dobe croppers take a little wedge out at the bottom of the ear (that's where the sutures that are usually left in 2 to 5 days longer than those that go up the edge of the pinna (those usually are removed at around 7 or 8 days.

That wedge actually enables the cropper to put a bigger curve in the pinna--which does make it stand more easily.

What I've found over years of posting crops by a variety of croppers (most of them people who were doing show crops on Danes, Dobes and Boxers) that when you first take down a posted ear that was done by using backing rod (or something like it) it is more curved and slowly straightens out a little. But it doesn't really retain the more curved look of an ear just unposted. I don't think the tip flattened out because you used a breathe-rite strip I'd suspect that it was on a very long show crop and they tend, because of the length to have tips that really don't curve.

But you're right about thinking that the curve in the ear from the skull to the tip definitely helps it to stand. Cartilage hardening (a normal process as the dog matures) is what stiffens it.) Sometime check out what an ear standing well on a puppy feels like and then find a dog who is four or five years old and feel those ears. The cartilage is much stiffer and more rigid.

dobebug

·
Registered
21 Posts
L&E, I’m curious what method you ended up going with? What a cutie and I like the look of the zip tie on Ezra. I’m currently doing the tampon, her bell is pretty tight. Can you direct me to instructions on the zip tie method you did? Thanks in advance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts