Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and he'd been improving enough to convince myself he was ok & just a stress baby. (doing the mental head kick to myself now for not trusting my instincts and pushing the vet to do the tests I requested in the first instance! grrr @ me! ...there was a part of me that knew he still wasn't 'quite right')

This time I took him to a different vets (hospital) and immediately got a good impression that I have found a competant vet who knows her stuff & will do well for him. She immediately admitted him for bloods and ultrasound without me even having to ask (unlike the other vet who scoffed at my request and made me feel like an overprotective paranoid mother). The ultrasound was inconclusive due to gas in his tummy and x ray didn't pick up anything...so he's fasting then returning for second ultrasound today (afternoon) ...I'm not sure if I'm hoping it will be negative or not as either way surgery may follow, either exploratory or mass removal. :(

The biggest worry though is the blood results which are not good. Liver/gallbladder issues are indicated and readings quite elevated. He's a sick 'puppy' (he's 5 1/2 yrs but he's still my baby).
heart, lungs & kidneys all checked out fine and the vet has ruled addisons out despite the waxing/waneing presentation.

She's determined to work out what is causing his illness within his limits of quality of life vs risk of surgery, and the hospital is willing to offer me a payment plan so he can get the best treatment. It's a small comfort in a sea of worry that at least this time he has care I can trust and rely upon. :doctor:

he has already endeared himself to the vet and the staff by behaving in an exemplary manner during his day stay yesterday...not even requiring to be sedated for his shave and scans and no whiney agitation or distress. Typical dobe charm of love, sweet cuddles and stoic dignity has worked its magic yet again :)

I'm a bit of a mess from eyes leaking constantly yesterday and lack of sleep, but trying not to let him see how upset I am (doubt I've convinced him though ...him being a 'psychic' percepto empathy dog ;) )

He was almost back to 'normal' weight before this latest attack which presented as food pickyness and partial anorexia and back to excessive drinking during the week...then huge grass, water & remnant food upchuck Saturday evening, then Sunday morning food refusal, stinky burps and tremors leading to back or front legs giving way causing staggers or collapse. Had him at the animal hospital as soon as they opened!

2 more hrs to go until I can take him back to the vets...I think this is going to be a long and awful week :(
Aus :strong:

·
Registered
Jalyn Live in the Moment ‘Helo Agathon’ Harper x Godric DOB 3/4/2019
7,581 Posts
Sending healing vibes for Zillah and lots of hugs!

Reactions: Australdi

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
so sorry your boy and you are going through this.

I have never owned a dog with liver issues but i have know others who have.

Big Hugz to you and yours.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Best wishes for Zillah and hugs for you!!!

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
I'm so sorry! I hope they figure it out and get him fixed up soon. (((hugs))) for you and Zillah

Reactions: Australdi

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Prayers and Good Vibes to your Puppy!

No matter what age they are they are always gonna be our puppy's and baby's!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Can I ask how they ruled out Addison's? Was his cortisol (sp?) level ok? If they just looked at electrolytes that isn't enough. He needs an ACTH test to rule it out for sure. Just FYI.

Hope they figure it out. Poor boy & you too.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
back from the vets...forging into the future.

Ultrasound of stomach all clear, although some alterations in Liver surface evident but no obvious obstruction of gall bladder. It's all pointing towards Liver as the problem child at the moment...but how bad it is won't be know until the liver function tests return tomorrow (have to be analysed interstate). Supportive diet and prednisolone instituted and the next week will hopefully give us an indication of how he responds to the treatment. I've also had thyroid test done to cover all bases.

I don't believe the full addisons test was done, but vet seemed fairly confident it was not likely due to strong indicators towards liver disease....I'll query and confirm that tomorrow when I speak with her.

AST, ALT, ALP and billirubin are all excessively high and several other serums are also out of normal range. Liver biopsy is an option but for now have decided that risk vs benefit doesn't recommend it.

will know more tomorrow when liver function tests return.

not sure how Zil is going to like going (basically) vegetarian...he's not been number one vegie fan so far. Starting him off on Hills L/D then experiment with home cooked 'delights' ....it's going to be a challenge...but he's so worth the effort.
I'm just taking it one day at a time.

thanks for all the well wishes and good advice...it's all appreciated very very much.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pancreas has checked out ok...but I'm not fully convinced addisons is out of the picture...but it is on the list if all other avenues fail. The liver indicators are so strong that I understand why the vet is concentrating in that area. Surgery is unlikely and would only be considered if absolutely necessary and Zil could handle it and it is likely to yield information that would offer effective alternative treatment strategy. (neither I nor the vet support surgery at this time when other options are available) It has been ruled out for now as not offering sufficient benefit to risk.

Zil ate a small amount of the hills when he got home...but he's turning up his nose at it now. So now I'm thinking of ways to make it more palatable...I might have to do the gravy mask until the preds kick in. Diet wise there's going to be a lot of trial and refusals to find a menu he will eat. It's going to be a challenge, but one I have to work through.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Pancreas has checked out ok...but I'm not fully convinced addisons is out of the picture...but it is on the list if all other avenues fail. The liver indicators are so strong that I understand why the vet is concentrating in that area. Surgery is unlikely and would only be considered if absolutely necessary and Zil could handle it and it is likely to yield information that would offer effective alternative treatment strategy. (neither I nor the vet support surgery at this time when other options are available) It has been ruled out for now as not offering sufficient benefit to risk.

Zil ate a small amount of the hills when he got home...but he's turning up his nose at it now. So now I'm thinking of ways to make it more palatable...I might have to do the gravy mask until the preds kick in. Diet wise there's going to be a lot of trial and refusals to find a menu he will eat. It's going to be a challenge, but one I have to work through.
My internist says that liver dogs need good high quality protein. He recommends a cooked diet and so does Dr. Jean Dodds. She has her liver cleansing diet which focuses on fish. The liver needs protein to rebuild and produce glycogen to produce glucose. I have never heard about veggie diets before. Here's a useful link:

Liver | B-Naturals.Com Newsletter

and this one:

Dr Dodds Liver Cleansing Diet

Additionally, liver function is usually supported with SAM-e, Milk Thistle (Marin) (or use Denamarin for both), Zinc for copper storage and an antibiotic like Simplicef which will also help reduce the inflammation. Prednison will work to reduce enzyme levels if the cause of the disease is immune-mediated. If it isn't, there is a likelihood that the enzyme levels could rise. I would start doing more research and get a 2nd opinion since this seems a little different than most approaches to liver disease. Is the awaited test results a Bile Acids Test so you can see if there is a shunt involved or not?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My last Vizsla's alt values skyrockted to 1600 on a chemo drug. She had no physical signs but obvious clinical ones. We took her off the drug immediately and put her on Denamarin (Sam E and Milk thistle). We got her values down to 100-150 while still on pred. We were also able to go back to the drug at the very end of her treatment as a last alternative to see if it could fight the cancer and we kept her alt values at 150.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
google/read up on the Essiac tea, alterative or blood cleansing herbs too, and the Minor Bupleurum Formula (Chinese herbal formula Hsiao Chai Hu Tang ).

do you have a good homemade diet for liver problems? ask your Vet if green tripe is ok for dogs with liver issues. i think it is.

most dogs will eat anything with a little tripe added! :)

1 - 20 of 173 Posts