Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we go to the park almost daily... It is about a 4 mile stretch of mainly fields and some wooded parts, runs along side the river and there are tons of dogs there etc. He thoroughly enjoys this along with the other million parks we go to, but after about 1-2 miles, he quits running and lazily walks by my side.

3 months ago (while he was still hypothy.) we went hiking to Max patch in North Carolina, and he acted about normal. Today we took him on a very difficult 2 mile hike. It had a narrow trail the entire way, many rocks, creeks and a bit of climbing near the top! The entire way up the mountain, he would run about 20 yards in front, the run back to me, and repeat. He ran and/or trotted the entire way up the mountain. His recall was PERFECT and he would bolt down to catch up with us every time I called. As we continued the climb, we assumed he would eventually tire out, but boy were we wrong! Despite his awkwardly long legs and seemingly lack of balance, the small boulders my bf and I climbed to sit on top of, Zeus found a way up too. He LOVED jumping from rock to rock. When I found out his love for rock jumping, I had to keep him closer by me to prevent an accident, but no matter how steep the climb got, he somehow made it to the summit. The other dogs there stayed on the trail, but none of them climbed the spots big ole' Zeus did.

When we finished, he ran the entire way down as well. Despite this being seemingly normal for a doberman, Zeus' size along with his lazy, laid back personality makes this much enthusiasm an extremely rare occurrence. On a side note, I was also able to point him to logs and fallen branches, and with the 'over' command he actually chose to jump rather than go around! A huge turn around for him. So so so glad the new vet listened to me and ran his thyroid tests, he was the happiest dog for those 3-4 hours that I've ever seen. And since he ate dinner, he has been passed out in his mini-pillow bed like a rock. Oh, and we also taught him the 'pull' command ;) so he doubles as a walking-aid. Got one picture at the top of one of the summit rocks.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Don't they just scare you when they climb rockfaces and jump on and off those rock piles, Toby does this on a couple of our walks and my heart is in my mouth I swear at some of his antics.

Looks like Zeus had a wonderful day and what a lovely place you have to walk him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What a great story. Seems there is nothing a doberman can't learn. He looks so happy to be there with you in the picture.

I'm hoping to teach my future doberman puppy to do things like that. Hopefully I can teach him to run singletrack with me while I mountain bike.

Reactions: Asmit

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't they just scare you when they climb rockfaces and jump on and off those rock piles, Toby does this on a couple of our walks and my heart is in my mouth I swear at some of his antics.

Looks like Zeus had a wonderful day and what a lovely place you have to walk him.
Yes!! He usually isn't quite that adventurous, and he's not exactly close to the ground, so boy did he give me a heart attack!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts