Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kano's personal couch
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I woke up to an email from someone I know that runs a pitbull rescue. In it was 2 photos of a red dobie tied up to a tree and her asking if I knew anyone that wanted him with a long story about owner neglect and all that fun stuff we just love to hear. Of course I immediately forwarded it to the Doberman Rescue Alliance to see if they could network the heck out of him. To make a very long story that involves a lot of back and forth short, they decided they would take him and were able to line up transport, so it was up to me to go and get him!

We headed out early this morning up to Rome, GA to get him. It was starting to rain a bit which made me super happy that we were getting him before it started to pour. It took an hour but we finally got the muddy mess of a pit he was living in with his only shelter being an igloo that was really too small for him. The man told us about how his son had decided to just not feed Zeus, so he confiscated him but had nowhere to keep him so he sent out emails to anyone he knew and it ended up making it's way to me.

Our first stop was the vet and miraculously, he had no worms or parasites of any kind. I almost asked them to check again I was so in shock since he had been living outside for forever. He's also heartworm negative! We got his health certificate for Transport so he'll be going on a trip to Florida tomorrow afternoon. Once he gets down there he'll be micro-chipped, neutered, and get a more extensive exam then be in foster for a bit before becoming available for adoption.

He's an INCREDIBLE dog. If I could have another dog, I'd take him in a heartbeat. He's 75 lbs of sweet, loving, obedient marshmallow...just not trained. All it takes is a quick verbal correction though and he stops whatever he was doing wrong. Wish I could say the same for MY dog lol. He's cropped and docked, but whoever posted his ears did a crappy job so one curls over on top and the other only stands erect when super alert. The crop itself though is a nice looking crop, so it makes you wonder about what happened in his past. All that matters now though is he's in the best of care and will find an awesome forever home soon!

All his is really just delaying the inevitable round of photos so...Here's some pictures of Mr. Zeus! And if anyone is interested in him, they can fill out an application at dobermanrescuealliance.org
He's not on the website yet, but will be in a few days most likely. Whenever I get the approval to put him up there :)

Before Rescue:

After Rescue:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
He's a nice looking boy, I expected the worse. Although, I know he was in a terrible place, he's out now and will find a foreverhome, maybe you'll be a foster failure! Why are there so many f'd up people with dogs? If my kid treated a dog like that, I'd turn them in.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
What a cutie pie. He's so lucky to have you for tonight! And you are so lucky to be his first taste of freedom! Such a special feeling. How often in life do you REALLY get to be a hero??

Sloppy dober kisses to you and Zeus!

·
Kano's personal couch
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's a nice looking boy, I expected the worse. Although, I know he was in a terrible place, he's out now and will find a foreverhome, maybe you'll be a foster failure! Why are there so many f'd up people with dogs? If my kid treated a dog like that, I'd turn them in.
I was also expecting the worst. His "home" wsa horrible and I had already resigned myself to the fact he probably had a minimum of intestinal worms and heartworks. He's resiliant though! if I had been fostering him for more than one night I KNOW I would have been a foster failure!

I can't believe people can be that sick either. After seeing what he lived in and bringing him home, cleaning him up, and spending time with him I can't ever imagine what goes throught he peoples heads that do things like that.

On the bright side, Zeus already has a forever home! The VP of the rescue decided to take him in. It's easily the BEST home he could ask for!

·
Kano's personal couch
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a cutie pie. He's so lucky to have you for tonight! And you are so lucky to be his first taste of freedom! Such a special feeling. How often in life do you REALLY get to be a hero??

Sloppy dober kisses to you and Zeus!
I was lucky to have HIM! I usually just do the website for the rescue since my one dog make sit impossible for me to foster long term (he's a jerk) but when they asked me to get him, I of course couldn't say no. and I'm SO glad I went. He just left a little while ago and I felt bad saying goodbye sine I know he was loving it here, but I figure leaving my nice place to go to the next nice place is probably the least horrible of the things thats hapened to him lol. I'll seriously be missing him though. He was a great snuggler!

And I think my favorite part is that when we first picked him up, he wouldn't give kisses, he'd just push his nose up against yours for a second. When I gave him his hug good-bye he started licking my face. I'm just so glad he gets to be a real dog!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts