Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it, Zeus finally got his CGC! Or should I say I finally had him evaluated....

I was amazed with how good he was. I watched numerous people before me who repeated multiple exercises etc, and Zeus got everything first time through. The evaluator loved him, and said he was the only dog she's evaluated so far that was perfect in every category. The biggest amazement for me was the 'distraction tests'. At first we were supposed to walk away from her as she made loud clanking noises with a food bowl and collar. He did not even turn around, flinch, move his ears, nothing. He was entirely focused on me. He also cared less about people running around him, again focused on me.

This is the first time he's done more than a couple commands without 'rewards' (treats) so I;m very glad that I know what to expect from him now without having treats on hands (He's extremely food motivated). And she was also very impressed that when I said come, he gave me a perfect front. Anyways, just had to share my excitement, and I'm happy to announce we're officially rally trialing March 18th!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Congrats. Good luck at the rally trial! Have fun.

Jackpots after the rally course have worked well for V.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jackpots? Explain please lol. The trainer after the evaluation took out a treat and commented on how well he 'lit up'. She advised me to try a routine of something along the lines of: have the dog come, give a treat, then have the dog sit, then come, then give a treat, then have the dog do two exercises, then come, then treat. So that he starts waiting for/anticipating the treat as long as he keep doing what is told. I think we are going to try that for his food motivation!

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Congrats!

:chlead:

Reactions: Asmit

·
Got mutt?
13,822 Posts
Congrats on the CGC. Lucky passed at age 11, and at 2, Ilka has flunked twice, because she just can't follow the "four on the floor" rule, but the noise distraction didn't phase her. Good luck in Rally. It's fun, after you get over the initial fit of nerves (at least I had a fit of nerves).

By the way, I know you are getting a PAL, so I was wondering what is his "official" name is going to be? Just "Zeus", or did you elaborate? One of the best names I've seen for PAL dog was a Sibe named "Susan's Roadside Rescue".:)

Reactions: Asmit

·
sandy2233
2,472 Posts
Yeah for your CGC! And yeah again for you going out for rally. I hope you have a good judge that can help you feel comfortable in the ring. That helps immensely! Good Luck.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rosemary, I'm actually not sure yet! I didn't realize people getting their PAL would create names, however I don't think 'Zeus' is very appropriate :p

I may have to just ask my horse trainer for ideas, she is fabulous at making show names. If anyone else had good names ideas, I'd love to hear some!

·
Got mutt?
13,822 Posts
Rosemary, I'm actually not sure yet! I didn't realize people getting their PAL would create names, however I don't think 'Zeus' is very appropriate :p

I may have to just ask my horse trainer for ideas, she is fabulous at making show names. If anyone else had good names ideas, I'd love to hear some!
Yes, you can pick out your own name. They have the naming guidelines on the page with the application. If you pick out a name that is unacceptable for some reason, the will send you letter requesting you pick another name. For instance, I originally put "Rosehill's Ilka Of Pear Orchard" as Ilka's name. Turns out that "Rosehill" is a registered kennel name, so I couldn't use it. Her official name now is "Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery", because Pear Orchard Cemetery is where I found her.

The sooner you get the application sent in, the better, because it can take a few weeks to proccess, and until you have his his number, you can't enter him in AKC trials.

ETA I grew up in a cemetery, you think I'd know how to spell it by now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts