Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!! A member here recently expressed some confusion about Zero's living arrangements. I thought I'd clarify for all you long term DTers who were there from the beginning!

Here's the original thread. Long story short, Zero was one year old when life intervened and I was no longer able to keep him.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/29096-sad-sad-turn-events.html

Luckily, a DT member (Kenya) expressed interest in adopting/fostering Zero. She actively rescues/helps/teaches all manner of Dobermans/animals/people in general. She graciously drove 5 hours to meet me halfway and take Zero into her home.

Kenya and I stayed in contact over the months/years (2 years actually), and I was finally in the situation I SHOULD have been in when considering a puppy in the first place. Great job, great pay, great hours, one bedroom apartment, 250 acre cultural park in my backyard.

Kenya approached me and brought up her former fostering offer. Re-re-homing Zero with me would allow her to foster/rescue other adult male Dobermans in the Texas area (apparently the kill rate is very high in TX).

SO we both set out for another 5 hour drive in August of this year. :)

He's been here a couple months now, and he's adjusted well! He loves all the attention he gets from the joggers in the park, and he loves visiting his mommy at work :).

So there! Everyone is caught up!

I cannot stress enough how grateful I am to Kenya. She stepped in and selflessly helped Zero and me when I made the uneducated choice to purchase a large breed dog without any steady income or living arrangements. People like her keep my faith in humanity alive!

Thanks, all! :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I am so glad to hear that you have Zero back in your home! I cannot imagine the heartache it was to have to let him go, but I am sure with the kindness of this person to take him in and give him a loving home while you took care of the issues in your life made it so much easier for you. And I thin it was wonderful you were able to keep in touch and keep informed of his life while you were apart. Sometimes people come into our lives that are special and they help us in ways that are so special to us that we just cant find ways to thank them, and it reinforces the belief that there are angels on earth. This is indeed a very happy end to a story that at one time seemed sad, and Im so glad to hear such a great outcome. Congrats to all of you and wishing you and Zero many happy years together! :heartforyou:

Reactions: Zero509

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
That's awesome! yay Kenya! Yay Zero getting to come back home!

Thanks for updating us!

:part4:

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Thanks Zero509 for your kind words. It was a tough decision to let Zero go, but knowing how happy the both of you would be helped me decide.

He was a joy to have around and I'm touched that you thought well enough of me to entrust him to our family. He was the nicest "wedding present" we received!

I miss him backing his butt up to the chair to be scritched and Margo misses her wrasslin' buddy.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
WOW, what an amazing story. Both of you are so wonderful. I'm sure giving Zero up was NOT easy, but the right thing (both times) and again probably such a hard thing to do.

This brings a big smile to my face. I bet the reunion was just wonderful!

·
joie de vivre
11,246 Posts
I am so happy this situation has worked out. It's amazing how things happen when people care and act on it.

Thank you for being able to act responsibly after making an irresponsible decision at the start. Hopefully you'll be able to help guide others how to practically prepare for a puppy and a Doberman at that.

Thanks to Kenya for selflessly stepping in and helping Zero so that he never had to set foot in a shelter or end up in who knows what kind of home, etc.

I look forward to continued updates on Zero!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was very hard giving up Zero, but it was even harder knowing how Kenya and her husband were going to miss him. (He really is a daddy's boy- became attached to my boyfriend THE MOMENT he met him lol) But Oliver now has a loving home and lots of playmates, and I'm sure many more sweet rescue Doberboys will benefit from Kenya's love.

I wish he had a playmate here! We met a fawn senior doberlady a couple weeks ago at the park, and they walked nicely next to each other for quite a while, but he needs a wrasslin' buddy! A friend of mine just moved back into town with a GSD, and I hope to meet her boy soon and possibly set up a playdate. We shall see!

·
Registered
345 Posts
So glad that you have Zero back home and things are headed on the right track for the both of you. I'm sure Santa Pup has something special for Zero this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts