Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure what to do with this. The SO likes Zac and Zac likes the SO until the SO and I are close to one another. Zac doesn't get protective but he gets jealous I think. He starts to cry and tries to sit between us. Has anyone else ran into this issue? I kick him off the couch and tell him no but its doesn't seem to help. Zac isn't allowed on the couch or bed anyway so it shouldn't be that only when the SO is here he isn't allowed to do certain things. Zac also decides that he has to pee about 100 times while the SO is here as well and cries to go out (assuming its an attention thing).

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but maybe you could have your SO do some training/treats and play time with Zac, so he associates your SO with FUN stuff? Then maybe he'd see your SO coming over as a positive thing, rather than 'hes going to steal all of momma's attention'

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert by any means, but maybe you could have your SO do some training/treats and play time with Zac, so he associates your SO with FUN stuff? Then maybe he'd see your SO coming over as a positive thing, rather than 'hes going to steal all of momma's attention'
Good point...I didn;'t think about that! They play sometimes but not a lot.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Sounds like resource guarding to me. I'd hire a good trainer to walk you through how to fix it. For now, I'd crate him when SO comes over.

Reactions: Chelse

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Not really sure what to do with this. The SO likes Zac and Zac likes the SO until the SO and I are close to one another. Zac doesn't get protective but he gets jealous I think. He starts to cry and tries to sit between us. Has anyone else ran into this issue? I kick him off the couch and tell him no but its doesn't seem to help. Zac isn't allowed on the couch or bed anyway so it shouldn't be that only when the SO is here he isn't allowed to do certain things. Zac also decides that he has to pee about 100 times while the SO is here as well and cries to go out (assuming its an attention thing).
^^^^ Completely normal, from what I read in your comments...if I was your dobe, I would be jealous to.

Maybe Zac feels like a second class citizen, when SO visits, because his life changes to a tad bit of being rejected.

Now on the other hand, if your sitting with SO (getting close) on the couch and he invites Zac on the couch beside him...and gave both of you guys attention...I think you would have a dobe that would welcome and long for your SO.
- all Zac needs is to touch his side (SO) and receive an occasional pat on the butt...to feel special and needed, once again

·
Registered
412 Posts
Moose used to do this when my husband would hug me. He would get up from the deepest sleep on his chair.. walk into the room we were in and shove his long nose right between us.

What I ended up doing was putting one hand down and just lightly petting the top of his head and down his ears. Husband would do the same. Now he doesnt try to split us up but always knows we are hugging and will come over to join in lol.

I think its a Dobe trait.. you know.. the attention whore they can be?? Pet me pet me!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think people put to much human emotion in regards to dogs and jealousy and feeling the needs for attention. To me if a a dog is in my space or my wifes or the kids its a problem and it needs to be addressed. I agree crating is a good non disciplinary action you can take until you can correct the problem.

In reference to a dog being a second-class citizen, well in my house they are. I love him I treat him with the utmost respect and kindness. Point being he is a dog and we are humans. If I want to sit on the couch the dog WILL let me sit on the couch. This is just not an area of question to me.

Now how to get to that point. Obedience, Obedience, Obedience.

You do obedience with him, the guy does obedience with him. This should make some headway with it. If this does not improve it, get some help.(dog behaviorist, working dog trainer, ect..)

Dobermans as a breed want to be in your face all the time. IT is impossible to say over the internet but he could just be a whiney doberman. It is not necessarily an aggressive behavior. But like I said its the internet. I'm over here your over there. IF it is something you think the dogs has the possibility of reacting toward you or the SO consult a behaviorist first. If its more a nuisance whiney I want attention thing try the obedience work.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys I dont think its agression...I think its only whiney attention seeking. We will work on more obedience and crating see how that goes! thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I claim my space if it is being invaded and I dont want it to be by any of my dogs. I back them up, tell them to go away/go lay down or put them in a down stay. I do this also when I am petting/loving on one of them and another one comes and thinks they can push their way in. Its not going to work!

Then there are times we play with Tippy & Kyrah about hugging and them trying to get involved. Cujo could care less about it.

About him having to pee 100 times. Kyrah did that with her bell. Anytime I would do something she didnt want me to do like clothes, dishes, computer, etc... She would ring the bell telling me to come! It did take me a bit to figure it out. Then I started paying attention. If I knew she didnt really have to go I told her to knock it off! I know you dont have to go. That eventually stopped once she knew I figured her out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts