Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My newest member to the family. Was essentially given to me for the price of a crate! Wonderful, kind 2 1/2 yr old boy. Just melted into the family like he had been there forever. Can you tell I am just TOO proud?! He is the black in between the Euro and the Rescue boy. He is Ch sired out of a Catriel btch, and the quaity shows! But maybe not so much my photography! And yes they are ALL boys!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm not sure why you would be happy they are all males? This breed is known for same-sex aggression, especially with males. Its not a matter of IF, its a matter of WHEN- and when it happens, it can be devastating. I hope you're doing some serious research and are prepared to crate and rotate.

Good luck, OP.

Reactions: LVdobe and akturbo

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm not sure why you would be happy they are all males? This breed is known for same-sex aggression, especially with males. Its not a matter of IF, its a matter of WHEN- and when it happens, it can be devastating. I hope you're doing some serious research and are prepared to crate and rotate.

Good luck, OP.
Thank you so much for your concern but as you may not have know, this is the fifth male into my home. Varying in ages 9, 8 7. 5 and now 2/12. I feel very comfortable in this addition and the manners in which the other dogs behave. Male on male aggression may very well be the NORM for some Dobes but I must admit I am fortunate to have had MULTIPLE males for more years than I would want to remember! But again thank you for your input! I merely wanted to show what a handsome "li'l man' he is!Certainly is not meant as to a testament to the average person BUT I have been successful and enjoy my boys!Just one more question? I have never had to crate and rotate, just can't imagine how that would be beneficial for the well being of the dog or for me and my sanity? Sometimes SOME people are capable of doing things that others are not prepared to attempt.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great looking dog(s)!!! Congrats on the new addition....
THANKS...I take a lot of pride in them! First time, I needed to get a hiarcut and yup, they all wanted to go, so they all went! Laying in the back of the car like perfect gentleman. I was soooo proud!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The great thing about this site is we try and warn you about the dangers and joys of dobermans.........keep a heads up with males all together.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Emily and I certainly agreee with you! Multiple of any SEX is not necessarily a good idea! However, Consider it Cocky, or just experience but there are all too many things that I cannot do nor would I ever venture into doing but having the boys has worked for me! Is it easy? Sometimes, sometimes not so much, you have to understand your dogs and the way communciate ad interact within the dynamic! Many of the people who have a negative reply are basically on their first dobe and have read the issues on mutltiple dogs of any sex and therefore respond accordingly. And so you are definitely entitled to your opinion. Just a simple question HOW many times have you seen obedience dogs project male to male aggression compared to breed dogs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The great thing about this site is we try and warn you about the dangers and joys of dobermans.........keep a heads up with males all together.
Thanks and a heads up to those with multiple males of any beed and of multiple females as well! Big concern should be age, temperment, training and status, altered or entire. I DO NOT advocate multipel dogs of any SEX and certainly this thread was not intended to turn into that debate! Sorry if it was mis-constrewed as that and Thank you!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thanks Emily and I certainly agreee with you! Multiple of any SEX is not necessarily a good idea! However, Consider it Cocky, or just experience but there are all too many things that I cannot do nor would I ever venture into doing but having the boys has worked for me! Is it easy? Sometimes, sometimes not so much, you have to understand your dogs and the way communciate ad interact within the dynamic! Many of the people who have a negative reply are basically on their first dobe and have read the issues on mutltiple dogs of any sex and therefore respond accordingly. And so you are definitely entitled to your opinion. Just a simple question HOW many times have you seen obedience dogs project male to male aggression compared to breed dogs?
Bold emphasis is mine.

Erm, are you suggesting this is a trait that can be trained out?

Because I know lots and lots of OB dogs, Rally dogs, and Agility dogs, who do not get along with other dogs, particularly same sex dogs.

I think the problem some folks had, reading your posts, was the braggart-sounding stuff about how you can do this, but maybe others do not have the capacity.

You go on to suggest the folks posting warnings about this trait are "on their first Dobe." That sounds like you think experience alone mitigates this breed trait. So not true, and until you've had a dog who carries this in their temperament, I think humans sometimes tell themselves pretty little lies, or think they're too "alpha" or too "pack leader" for THEIR dogs to ever snark and fight. That's not realistic.

Yes, there is management, and strategies to enhance success, but it's not something to throw out there like it's easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

In fact, since you don't seem to credit the possiblity of male-male issues--that makes some of us reading wonder if you've just never had a Doberman who was real drivey. Which is okay, certainly, but the point is, a mention of keeping multiple males is probably best done with caveats, not in a braggy, how-cool-am-I kinda way.

And that's from someone who's housed multiple males, over the years, including bully breeds and Dobermans, some fairly drivey, and some very troubled rescued dogs.

When these mentions of male-male aggression start on a thread, I'm not usually one of the more vocal folks about it. I think it *can* be done successfully, under the right circumstances, with the right person, but again--don't think it's something to idealize or necessarily promote in general.

Btw, congrats on your new addition, he is very handsome.

I do have a safety concern, looking at your photo--your boys do not wear their chain collars as their everyday collar, do they?

I ask, since two of them have ID tags attached to the slip chains--a big safety no-no.

Of course, the other concern is possibly neck injury, even fatal strangulation, with those collars being left on loose dogs. Just FYI, as I hate to see the horror stories about these type situations.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thanks and a heads up to those with multiple males of any beed and of multiple females as well! Big concern should be age, temperment, training and status, altered or entire. I DO NOT advocate multipel dogs of any SEX and certainly this thread was not intended to turn into that debate! Sorry if it was mis-constrewed as that and Thank you!

We were typing at the same time.

This is good clarification. I think it's important to be careful not to, intentionally or otherwise, glorify risky situations.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I do have a safety concern, looking at your photo--your boys do not wear their chain collars as their everyday collar, do they?

I ask, since two of them have ID tags attached to the slip chains--a big safety no-no.

Of course, the other concern is possibly neck injury, even fatal strangulation, with those collars being left on loose dogs. Just FYI, as I hate to see the horror stories about these type situations.

I agree with the chain comment. I let my father baby sit Chevy while I went on a cruise one year and he left her choke chain on her the whole time. It had gotten stuck on something, he couldnt or wouldnt tell me what, and it had dug into the back of her neck. I had to take her to the vet to have them remove it from the back of her neck and clean up the wound. They had to put her under as she was very aggressive when they tried to touch it. She wasnt aggressive when I would touch it, but wouldnt let the vets touch it. Needless to say, I was PISSED and my father has never watched her again. She healed up with no scar or anything, thank goodness.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am also at a bit of a loss of words. I really do hope that all these males can get a long for a life time; I know you are thinking they are fine but I can probably speak for everyone about being concerned. Please know we are not trying to jump on you or attack you, more worried than anything. We have seen this scenario too many times..

He is definitely a great looking guy!! I love the shot of just him. He is a looker for sure. I would love to see more pictures of him. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I will let others who are more knowledgeable than I discuss same sex aggression. Just had to say, love the looks of your new guy. Stunning! In fact all your boys are very handsome. Good Luck.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I'll admit it's probably none of my business but since you mentioned it...he was given to you for the price of a crate? And he's champion sired and out of a Catriel bitch...does his breeder know where he is?

I only ask because he's an adult, so I'm guessing he was a rehome of sorts, and if he's from a good breeder I have a hard time believing a good breeder would rehome a male dog to a home with 4 other males for the price of a crate. If I were a breeder I would hate to have one of my dogs being sold or bounced around without my knowledge or approval of the home(s) they go to.

Just curious.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'll admit it's probably none of my business but since you mentioned it...he was given to you for the price of a crate? And he's champion sired and out of a Catriel bitch...does his breeder know where he is?

I only ask because he's an adult, so I'm guessing he was a rehome of sorts, and if he's from a good breeder I have a hard time believing a good breeder would rehome a male dog to a home with 4 other males for the price of a crate. If I were a breeder I would hate to have one of my dogs being sold or bounced around without my knowledge or approval of the home(s) they go to.

Just curious.
Absolutely! I spoke to the breeder at length last year concerning this dog and then once again when he was currently offered to me by his owner. As a matter of fact I had the ooportunity to speak to her just recently for a short period of time. The breeder would fall into reputable and ethical category. Without disclosing his breeding beyond what I have stated, his sire is an Am. Ch with his grandsire being an Am/Can/Intl CH. TDI NA RN and I believe WAC also. The dog was not obtained directly from the breeder but the breeder was and is aware of the situation. His breeding is not relevant with the exception that I can say he is not only a handome lil man but has a excellent manners and a wonderful disposition. This can be attributed to his breeder as well as his previous owner. At almost 3 he was NEVER registered and came with signed puppy papers, pedigree and all vet records, crate food, toys, collar and a comfy bed. He was delivered to me so that his owner could see his living conditions.
He melted into the household very easily. I am so very PROUD of how easily my dogs accepted this newcomer, this also includes the recent senior addition to the family. After almost 2 weeks he shares the toy box and they eat together in the same room and I have already spoiled him to the point that he prefers my bed over his own.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts