Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Chevy is sitting and not putting any weight on her front feet, she turns bends her left front ankle out. When she was a puppy doing it the vet said it meant she may have issues with arthritis later on, but at 8 1/2 she still doesnt. It that just a poor bloodline thing? She was from a byb for $300, and though akc registered I dont know anything about her bloodlines or anything.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You can see it in this pic. Yeah I know akc really doesnt mean anything except she isnt mixed with anything. I know it doesnt take good bloodlines to register. I can try to find a few more pics if yall need. It has never bothered her or anything and she has always walked and ran normal, I am just wondering.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
It looks kind of like a couple of puppies on here who were "knuckled over". There is a really good thread about it, with a lot of information.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Is it always like that? I know Keira will sometimes bend her leg the same way when she sits. Not for any particular reason, and she sits normal most of the time. She seems to do it just when she's feeling lazy or tired. Except I don't think Keira's is that exaggerated, but it could just be the angle of your photo. Ripley knuckled over as a puppy briefly, so I've experienced that also, and this is not the same thing.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She does it almost every time she sits when there is no weight on her front feet. i would say about 60-70% of the time. It isnt the angle of the photo, it is pretty exaggerated when she does it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That looks similar to how Axel was when he was younger. I found that carpal supports, like those from DogLeggs.com, have really helped to straighten his legs. Here's his thread: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-c...-deformity-aka-knuckling-over-bowed-legs.html

I've never seen it in a dog that is 8.5 years old, though. But I suspect that even with as much treatment as Axel got, his legs will continue bend a little inward. He's 7 months old now, and his legs still look the same as in the last photo in the OP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts