Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for most of you who don't me, I live my 4yo doberboy in a primarily college student overpriced Townhome and apartment complex. Everyone in here is basically spoiled and stupid. Zeus is well known in our area of the complex as "the horse" and everyone loves him (cuz hes "big, black, and scary"). Last night, our neighbors through a party, in which one girl had her puppy with her....she was about a 6 month old what looked to be poorly bred GSD. upon talking to her, I found out his dad was a dobie, mom a german shepherd. She was happy to inform me that she got her dog half price! Any guesses why? Oh, its because the people she was going to buy a doberman from "breed both german shepherds and dobermans", and sometimes accidents happen where the german shepherds breed to the dobermans, producing halfsies. And because these babies are accidents you can even get them for half price!!!! only $150! (What a steal! lol) This poor dog was a horrible example of bad breeding. The dog did not even know her name, wouldn't come when called, was extremely skittish/fearful, and acted much like a ferret. The whole night she kept commenting on how "cool" and perfect zeus was, and that he was sooo well behaved and she proceeded to follow me around asking me how I made him so perfect all night...... UGH maybe so angry to picture this byb kennel that lets unaltered dogs of multiple breeds run around and mate with eachother (and produce dogs outside of the akc standard anyways).

THEN. she brought some guy to "see how cool zeus is". The guy said "Do his ears ever stand up?" I informed him that dobermans ears have to be cropped and posted at a young age in order to stand. He said "No they dont, I had one who looked like yours half the time, but some days they would stand straight up!" He ASSURED me that his dogs ears weren't cropped. I asked if he was sure about that and he was like "ya my grandfather use to breed tons of dobermans, he had blacks and reds, and they all stood up and he never did nothing to them".... It was then that I realized what I should say to stupid ignorant people like this anytime something like this is brought up. It's very simple, takes a small amount of time, and is only two words.................. a simple "Your right" is all that is needed......

oh the ignorance.

:roflmao:
Here's a picture of Zeus with his "floppy" ears

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Your boy is handsome!!

Now, onto the pertinent question... Leo is 4 and has natural ears. When can I expect them to stand? I wonder if it's age related? Wait, it must not have happened since he's neutered, right?? :D

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
So, for most of you who don't me, I live my 4yo doberboy in a primarily college student overpriced Townhome and apartment complex. Everyone in here is basically spoiled and stupid. Zeus is well known in our area of the complex as "the horse" and everyone loves him (cuz hes "big, black, and scary"). Last night, our neighbors through a party, in which one girl had her puppy with her....she was about a 6 month old what looked to be poorly bred GSD. upon talking to her, I found out his dad was a dobie, mom a german shepherd. She was happy to inform me that she got her dog half price! Any guesses why? Oh, its because the people she was going to buy a doberman from "breed both german shepherds and dobermans", and sometimes accidents happen where the german shepherds breed to the dobermans, producing halfsies. And because these babies are accidents you can even get them for half price!!!! only $150! (What a steal! lol) This poor dog was a horrible example of bad breeding. The dog did not even know her name, wouldn't come when called, was extremely skittish/fearful, and acted much like a ferret. The whole night she kept commenting on how "cool" and perfect zeus was, and that he was sooo well behaved and she proceeded to follow me around asking me how I made him so perfect all night...... UGH maybe so angry to picture this byb kennel that lets unaltered dogs of multiple breeds run around and mate with eachother (and produce dogs outside of the akc standard anyways).

THEN. she brought some guy to "see how cool zeus is". The guy said "Do his ears ever stand up?" I informed him that dobermans ears have to be cropped and posted at a young age in order to stand. He said "No they dont, I had one who looked like yours half the time, but some days they would stand straight up!" He ASSURED me that his dogs ears weren't cropped. I asked if he was sure about that and he was like "ya my grandfather use to breed tons of dobermans, he had blacks and reds, and they all stood up and he never did nothing to them".... It was then that I realized what I should say to stupid ignorant people like this anytime something like this is brought up. It's very simple, takes a small amount of time, and is only two words.................. a simple "Your right" is all that is needed......

oh the ignorance.
Why so bitter? This was a perfect opportunity to show a great embassador to the breed (Zeus) and to educate a lady who seems to be having difficulty in the training department.

BYB's suck, and its a shame she got sucked into it, but its done, and your words will probably fall onto deaf ears if you were to talk about the greeders. She showed a huge interest in Zeus behaviour, I would take this opportunity and at least give this pup a good start to life.

As for people who think they know it all...'you're right' is a great answer :D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Your boy is handsome!!

Now, onto the pertinent question... Leo is 4 and has natural ears. When can I expect them to stand? I wonder if it's age related? Wait, it must not have happened since he's neutered, right?? :D
I'm guessing about the time that his brain starts outgrowing his skull....probably the pressure from that will force the ears to stand up straight :roflmao:

Disclaimer...JOKING!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hahaha.

People are very uneducated about a lot of things, and dogs is one of them. People get so excited about having a puppy they don't think about things that was consider important. The breeder is obviously an idiot. But hopefully she gives her puppy a great home.

I have had that same conversation with people about the ears. Makes me laugh.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I have had that same conversation with people about the ears. Makes me laugh.
seriously? More than one person believes this? That natural eared dobes magically stand? I get there are natural "prick eared" dog breeds that do, but have they ever seen a dobes ears? Wait, scratch that, probably not. Still, that's pretty stupid. Almost MORE stupid than the brain swelling, since at least the ears are on display.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
People always ask about his ears, I think I will tell them they won't because I had him neutered. They ask this after they ask what kind of dog he is. The real dumb ones always say "are you sure"?

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DogsR4life, I did try to educate them about it..... THat is why I became so "razzled" about it. Despite the fact that I own a doberman, and do nothing but research about the breed, my words certainly fell to deaf ears.....

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the boy :p despite being 31" and most likely a BYB dog, I think he's pretty durn handsome myself!

Obviously people have never looked closely at the precision the Doberman's ears are cropped (done well at least) or thought to wonder how a dog could hold such beautiful large ears up like that. Oh well!

·
Registered
716 Posts
You know I saw your photo and besides Zeus being remarkable... you are very pretty too! Maybe the "guy in question" was just bewildered with your beauty and you made him sound like an idiot :D

A friend of mine is a police man with a retired K-9 german shepherd.. We joked around a bit about how bad a$$ a Doberman and a GS mix would be until we saw the pictures of a few of them.... not cute ;) but I thought they would still be smart lil things... Hearing about the puppy being so "lost" is a disapointment to me however I feel more so if they have a pack of pups they are bringing into the world...

I would like to believe everyone learns from the first mistake when getting a puppy.
I dislike the greeders in this post...

Kiss your dober boy for me!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Make sure you tell her that since her dog is only half Doberman, there is only a 50% chance that his brain will explode one day. Wait, don't. Someone might believe you.

Zeus is very handsome!

·
_______
5,102 Posts
OP thanks for the laugh.
Tough one dealing w/know it all goofuses who won't even bother to admit they don't know everything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts