Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How and when did you go about getting him/her

IT started last December, when I saw an ad (yes I know) but I went out south to look at the puppies, only two in the litter, Gunner and a female who was a runt. Well we were talking to the guy and we said we wanted a good gaurd dog as well as a pet, he said "you want a good gaurd dog?" he made the parents get out of the Kennel(which he gave to us) and started walking up to it and trying to open it, well these two itty bitty doberman pinschers come waltzing out barking with these little bitty raspy voices, it was adorable. Well we went back home to discuss it and decided we'd do it, so we went back out there on that cold night and bought him and he was a cute little fur ball. He rode in my arms all the way back. He got to meet my grandmothers Dachsund, which was a sight to see, and i was like what a great little puppy and was sitting there with it on my shoulder, then all of a sudden i felt this warmth cover my shoulder .... :eek2: yep he peed...ugh thats when i said to myself "Here we go"

·
Registered
421 Posts
My mom knows a couple people involved with them so they set me up through a friends of someones that was having an unplanned litter. She regularly would have charged a ton but when the pups were due was right in the time they were switching jobs and they ended up moving the week they were twelve weeks. so it was hectic for her but they were great pups. Not a bark or growl and not a single one of the pups was mouthy. There dad was absolutely gorgoues! She was doing conformation with them but she was going to start obedience with him. I would have taken him in a heartbeat. My boy turned out a lot like him though so its ok! She hadn't planned on breeding that female to that male but when it happened anyway her co owner decided thats what they wanted anyway. Seemed like a messy situation to me but all I cared were the dogs were in great condition they had had tests(although I had no clue what theywre at that point, thats what my moms friends was for!) and they had the greatest temperments.

I can't remember were he was from but it was a long drive. She gave us a diaper for the way home! He held it :haha: I talked to my moms friend awhile ago and she heard she is getting into weims now instead. So I figure I'll start researching my next breeder soon! Only another four or five years till I get another one!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
When I was a kid (like 5 years old) we had a dobe, his name was Eric...man oh man would he tick my mother off!! He was an outside dog, and he would bark and bark and bark!! When she would poke her head out the door to tell him to Zip it, he would run in his house and be quiet, as soon as she closed the door BARK BARK BARK.. IT was actually pretty funny looking back she would get sooo mad at him! In the winter my dad put a horses halter on him as a harness and he would pull my sis and I around in a sled. He loved his family..... Then we had shepards from there on out after him while I was growing up, I love them too....

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's a long story so I'll do my best to trim it up a bit. :)

About six months after my Lab had passed away, my husband was kind of giving me the nudge to get another dog. I guess I was annoying him with constant talk about Dobermans because he said, 'Well what are you waiting for?'

So I filled out an application to adopt a Doberman through DRU and by that time I was so excited about finally bringing one into my life, I couldn't wait. I had a telephone interview with a volunteer but at the time they were having a hard time finding me a young female that was cat safe. I waited for a week or so(long time huh?) before I started looking to breeders. I must say I never realized how picky I was til it came time to find a pup. I talked to several breeders and not one I was satisfied with. I either didn't like the look of their dogs, or they didn't do enough health testing and some did none at all. It was very discouraging and even upsetting at times when I talked to some of these people who called themselves 'breeders'.

Anyhow, I came across an ad in the paper and while at first I sneered at, I took a second look and told myself I would call and the worst that would happen is that I would not buy a puppy from them. Once I spoke with the breeder and asked if she had any females, she started grilling me off the bat. She wanted to know if I owned my own house, what kind of dog I had already, what experience have I had with dominate type dogs, why I wanted a Doberman, ect. In fact she had started to refuse me because at the time, we didn't own our house even though we were planning to in the next 8 months.

Once we got over that hump, this woman talked at length about her dogs and her lines. Their health, their accomplishments, their looks... she knew each dog from the inside out and was very passionate about them. She invited me to her home to talk some more and she told me not to feel obligated about buying a pup, she said at the very least I would leave with a good education about the breed. So we went and talked for over an hour(she talked, I listened lol) about her dogs and my puppies lineage. After I met Ava's grandparents, aunt and mother, we got to see the puppies. I picked Ava because she was the only puppy who kept comming over to me and when I picked her up, she gave me a little kiss on the nose. I was sold.

So that's my story and believe me... That is the short version. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts