Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Dobie has horrible cold tolerance for cold. Even the slightest chill will send her snuggling up to me shivering.

This morning at around 8am or so was 18*C outside (64.4 Fahrenheit) and I sleep with my window open (No wind, No rain). When I woke up I didn't find it cold at all, and I didn't sleep with a blanket and I don't sleep in pajamas either... Yet Rosie was shivering her ass-mask off and needed to come to the head of the bed and be covered up under a blanket until she could stop shivering.

I don't understand...I know Doberman only have a single short coat, but shouldn't she be able to stay a little warmer than I can without clothing? I didn't find it chilly at all, but she was making it out to be subzero. She's always lived in the Northern Ontario climate, so it's not something she isn't used to.

Dogs don't fake things either, so it's not like she's doing it for fun.

Do any of you have a Dobie who's that wimpy about 'cold'?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Odin is pretty good to be fair. Here in Germany we get both extremes of weather, like right now its 32C (89.6F) outside and he is fast asleep with only minimal panting but I do try to keep him cool by pouring cold water on his back and giving him ice cubes and whatnot. But winters here get down to about -18C (-0.4F) and about 2ft of snow so pretty darn cold and miserable and he was fine with a cold weather jacket on. We usually have to put it on him at around about 2-3C (35.6F) so I would say he isn't too wimpy about the cold.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The dogs are just like people - to me 65* is chilly and I would need a thick comforter, but my fiance would feel like you, that it is just perfect even without a blanket. We sleep with 2 different blankets on the bed for just that reason.

My two dobiegirls were the same way. Elly was always warm enough, like her 'dad', but Tia was often cold and needed a blanket, like me. Tia would let me know when she was chilly, giving little whines until I had covered her up just the right amount. Sometimes she wanted a blanket just up to her chest, other times she wanted to be totally undercover, with even her ears covered and only her eyes and nose sticking out. But Elly never wanted a blanket at all - ever. So I think each dog (and person) is just different that way.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby is fine in the cold, now, but as a pup he suffered terribly, what he can't stand is summer heat. It is 37 degrees today (103 Fahrenheit) and this past week we got up to 40 degrees (109 Fahrenheit).

On a side note, if this is something that has come on perhaps you might consider having her thyroid checked, daft as it may sound, when my thyroid started playing up I felt the cold terribly, even when it wasn't cold. Might be that dogs have the same symptoms, ofcourse folk more knowledgeable than me may say this is just pish posh, so perhaps you might like to wait and see if anyone else suggests it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here in India we normally have 32 to 35 Degree Celsius irrespective of the seasons and it will go upto 43 in summer, and 26 Degree Celsius is the minimum in Winter. So i have never had seen Ash shivering.

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a side note, if this is something that has come on perhaps you might consider having her thyroid checked, daft as it may sound, when my thyroid started playing up I felt the cold terribly, even when it wasn't cold.
She's just a wuss! It's always been like this since we've had her. She is going in for a full health test starting October. We where unsure of her age exactly and wanted to make sure she was 2, as some of the tests are worthless before then. I will keep that in mind though, and keep a watch on it. Thank you for the heads up about thyroid

The dogs are just like people - to me 65* is chilly and I would need a thick comforter, but my fiance would feel like you, that it is just perfect even without a blanket. We sleep with 2 different blankets on the bed for just that reason.

I live in Northern Ontario....18*C isn't cold at all! Our summers get to be about 40*C maximum with humidity and everything...But when it gets that hot here, people start to die :(
The normal for a hot summer day is about 30*C. I have personally seen (and walked to school in) temperatures that have been below -40*C

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It does get cold here for maybe a week and yes we are spoiled . We wrap up in blankets with footies on our feet. My female runs out does her business and then is waiting at the door to come inside...........:) 40 degrees is cold here at night and during the day maybe 50 degrees..............

·
joie de vivre
11,315 Posts
I would need a blanket too for 64* F first thing in the morning. It's one thing if I'm outside in direct sun and the mid-day temp is 64* F, but your body temperature drops naturally when you sleep and I don't tend to be warm natured as it is.

Both my girls could play outside in the mid-day sun in that temp but would expect pajamas or a blanket to sleep if the house were that temperature.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Malia seems to have a comfort range of between 55°F and 90°F.
Magnum's is between 70°F and 90°F.

That said, at 90° in full sun neither have much tollerance, 90° in the shade (sun down/night time) they go like gangbusters. But heaven help Mr. Wussypants if the temp drops below 70°, the boy will shiver like it was (literally) freezing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in Northern Ontario....18*C isn't cold at all! Our summers get to be about 40*C maximum with humidity and everything...But when it gets that hot here, people start to die :(
The normal for a hot summer day is about 30*C. I have personally seen (and walked to school in) temperatures that have been below -40*C
RedRosie - I admit it, I am a complete winter wimp! I used to live in northern Iowa, which is by no means Ontario but it does get quite cold for the US. We would get -20*F (-30*C?) or so for our walks to school - BRRRRRR!! You should see me when I go visit back home - totally wrapped up in coats/scarves/etc like the world is about to freeze over. :roflmao: I can't imagine how cold it must feel up there where you are in the winter! Makes me want to mail you a sweater right now! :D

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Elka has a hoodie for when it's in the 20's (Fahrenheit). Even in the summer, in bed, she'll nose us until we put her under the sheet, whether we're using it or not. I think that she LIKES being warm, but doesn't really need anything until it's validly freezing. There are times in the winter she'll whistle and whine until she's hoodied up.

·
Banned
919 Posts
Mine have no problem at all with the cold

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't imagine how cold it must feel up there where you are in the winter! Makes me want to mail you a sweater right now! :D
It's not so bad. I just wear light mitts, maybe a hat, coat with no liner and jeans and shoes haha. If I go snowboarding I throw on snowpants, but I trade the coat for a sweater. Unless it dips below -30*C, then I just stay home.

You guys must think Canadians are crazy.

Anything above 27*C or so and Rosie would be sweating if she could. At that point she's usually taking a nap to sleep through the heat

·
Da Boss
3,510 Posts
Brandy doesn't really like the cold either. There's times when I'm actually warm (and ask my husband, that's not the norm!) and she's bumping me to get under the covers. It seems she would rather be hot than cold!

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
You are all making me research coats & sweaters! The farmhouse has an oil heater, but we use the wood stove & leave the regular heat at about 60/65 when we are here.

I suspect Chanel's going to be living in whatever sweater I find & curling under the blanket on her cozy dog bed. :) If she's still having a tough time I'll put the bed in the bathroom. (It has an electric heater so our butts don't get chilly.)

I've been keeping the windows mostly shut at nights this week. If my dh was here & they were open I'd get the duvet out. It's not cold exactly, just not quite warm enough....
Kate

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Lottie has no problem with the cold. She gets a coat on if she goes out in the rain or snow, but doesn't mind either way. It gets to 0 or below in the winter most nights, the dogs sleep inside, never see them shivering.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Mine are wimps! I start the Pj's in early September when we still have the air on at night. I live in Bloomington, Indiana so it get a little chilly early in the morning. They love their pj's....they dance around at night when I pull them out....they can't wait till the are "dressed" for bed.

I work out of town "here and there" for a couple weeks at a time each year. In 2010 I was gone for about a month in the fall. My boyfriend was taken care of Huck (before I got Chloe) and let out one morning in his sweater. This sweater used to belong to Blueberry and was cut for a girl......Bob (the boyfriend) did not think about the cut....Huck pees all over himself and the sweater....because the sweater was covering the spout! He had one unhappy dog on his hands!:rotate1:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dogs don't fake things either, so it's not like she's doing it for fun.
You would be surprised. I heard story of other doberman owner, who thought that dobie can enjoy a dog house in the summer day. Dobie didnt want to stay there, so he attached him by the leash.
Next thing he ve seen was dobie laying in full sun and SHIVERING. His mother said to him t go immedately and free this poor puppie "don't you see he 's freezing?"
Dobie out of the leash stopped to shiver immediately :p

My dobies love to be covered for the night. We keep right now 72-75 F and they behave like they are freezing.
My dobies in Polish winter (down to -30C, sometimes -35C) were Ok as long as they were walking and playing. Well...Kora was always getting fatter for the winter..like a whale :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.