Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So I'm new to this page, but I figured here would be one of the best places to get an opinion on reputable doberman breeders. I am a young RN, living alone, and I've decided to start really looking for a companion.

I've had dogs my entire life, my mother was an AKC registered golden retriever breeder when I was born, so I have plenty of experience in the welping box (cuddles with the puppies was a bonus). I've always been very interested in adopting a doberman, but I'm aware of the health concerns, and the risk for brain abnormalities as they age (thank you ncbi, didn't realize they had information on dogs along with all of the nursing research), so I am leaning more towards purchasing a puppy from a breeder.

Right now I'm just in the looking process (scouring the AKC website and all they suggest). I live in NJ, so if anyone here can direct me towards reputable breeders I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
15,610 Posts
Welcome.

Have a look on the breed parent club's website Doberman Pinscher Club of America | Home There are some very informative public education articles there as well as a breeder referral listing by state. The AKC website is not really going to be much help. The whole brain growing larger than the skull thing is an old urban legend. There's not truth to it at all.

·
Zuko's Mom
191 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum!! You'll find great information here as well as lots of info about breeders. I'm in the Midwest so I'm not very familiar with breeders in the NJ area, but there are members from all over that will be able to help you.

Dobermans make excellent companions! W love our Zuko, a red male. Just the sweetest, goofiest boy ever. We got him from Cambria, a breeder in Indiana. They have great looking dogs. Hubby and I both work the same 8-5 schedule, and we stop at home over lunch every day to let him out, and then after work, spend a lot of time with him. In the future I'll be staying home full-time but for now we make it work!

As an RN, are your hours long? Just remember that when you're working, especially in a hospital setting with potentially 12-hour shifts, and you live alone, I'm assuming the dog will be alone at home? We found a great doggie-daycare centers where we live and though we don't use them except for when we go on vacation, it is a very useful place for the working owners out there.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hi and welcome to DT.

a young adult rescue Doberman would be a good choice. :)

If interested check out petfinder for your area.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
There are some excellent breeders in and near New Jersey. And I agree with greenkouki about going directly to the parent club site (Doberman Pinscher Club of America--DPCA.org.) for the most reliable information. Breeders listed there are generally pretty good. Breeder listings on the AKC site are simply paid advertisements. AKC requirements are only that the dogs be purebreds.

I'd check with Eastwick Dobermans, Sophia Koster DVM, Kerwynd Dobermans, Susan Kershaw or Niklby, Betty Cuzzolino. Phone numbers and e-mail address can be found on the dpca site--all are in New Jersey. None of them breed frequently so be prepared for a wait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts