Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night and today I noticed that when Ruger would get up from laying down, he would wimper. Not much, almost like he wanted attention. This afternoon he just seems "off". I noticed that he is holding his head funny. I took a treat and held it to his left and he followed it with his head movement. I changed to his right, and he will not turn his head.

He is very active, He gets the zoomies ALL the time. Appetite is fine, drinking water is fine. I have him in agility classes, but at low heights for jumping. Max I think has been 14", maybe 16". (He is a rescue, and I am guessing around 15 months old)

I have an appointment tomorrow to have him checked out, along with his regular shot regimen. I am trying to keep him from getting too energetic tonight. Keep your fingers crossed that he just has a sore neck or a pulled something. I'll post what the vet says tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hope it is nothing serious and an easy dx that is also easily fixable. Be sure to keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Probably he has done something stupid to himself that will resolve with rest, but there are some illnesses which can cause pain. If there is the least little possibility that he is unwell, I would hold off on the vaccinations until he is better.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably he has done something stupid to himself that will resolve with rest, but there are some illnesses which can cause pain. If there is the least little possibility that he is unwell, I would hold off on the vaccinations until he is better.
You have a good point with the vaccinations. He seems to be better tonight. He wants to play tug. I'm not letting him do that though. Hope the vet has some answers tomorrow.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Not moving the neck to one side can be a wobblers symptom, hope the best for your diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, we went to the vet to check out what's up with Ruger. She didn't give any shots, but doesn't think it's more than a sore neck from excessive shaking toys. I hope he is right!
No ex-rays, just a through exam. Blood work panel including vWD. Of course he wasn't exhibiting any symptoms at the office.

I guess we will give it a few days to see what happens.. Blood work I'll be in on Saturday, and the vWD in next week. I feel much better having him looked at. i'll post hi results when I get them....

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the blood work back on Ruger yesterday. All are normal except the liver. Just a tad elevated. We will recheck in a few weeks. She put him on Rimadyl to help his sore neck out. I hope this works. The vWD results will be in next week. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the results back on the vWD test. His test result number is 57. Looks like he is a carrier. They did also check the clotting since his number was on the lower side, and he clots just fine. He is a rescue and has already been neutered.

His neck seems to be getting better too. The rimadyl is doing its' job. We held off on agility for a week and a half. We went to class last night, and he was ok. We didn't do the weave poles just for GP. Glad he is on the mend.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
ake him to a chiropractor immediately - He most likely has a pinched nerve and unless it is corrected can lead to serious neck problems. Pain meds and waiting will only mask the underlying problem. The body had tremendous power to withstand a lot of problems until it is too late.

The chiro can correct the underlying problems not just mask the pain.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Poor baby :(

You should have cervical xrays taken IMMEDIATELY!!! (with a digital machine, not old school) If its wobblers or any narrowing in the cervical region/ discs, you need to know now rather than later. Do not let him play tug of war- if it is any cervical problem, the stress of tuggie will make it worse.

P.S. Rimadyl isnt really the best choice for a dog with already elevated liver enzymes? Even if they are elevated "only a little" Good luck to your baby, please keep us updated

Reactions: doberdeer

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My little guy is totally normal! I think he was saving up his energy for Super Bowl Sunday. I went to my agility class last Wednesday night, and the trainer watched him practice prior to class for a bit. She didn't see anything that was off at all. I still didn't want to do the weave poles. She agreed with me on that one too. Low jumps too.
I will still watch him very closely, and right to the vet with any issues. Retest on blood work in a few weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts