Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
just a member
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manufacturer of Pet Treat "Greenies"
Sued over Dog's Death

The popular dog treat sold under the name "Greenies" is the subject of a lawsuit filed November 30, 2005, with the Supreme Court of the State of New York. The complaint contends that the product, manufactured by Missouri-based S&M NuTec, is unsafe, inadequately labeled, and ultimately caused the death of the plaintiff's 4-year old dog, named Burt.

S&M NuTec has made claims that Greenies are "highly digestible," and the product comes with packaging statements such as "100% edible" and "veterinarian approved!" Given these claims, the plaintiffs were stunned by the cause of death of their family member Burt, a rescued Miniature Dachshund. Burt died this summer after an undigested portion of a Greenies dog treat became lodged in his intestinal tract. In an attempt to save his life, Burt underwent emergency surgery that resulted in the removal of over 3 feet of dead intestinal tissue along with the cause of the obstruction: an undigested piece of a Greenie. Despite the necessary surgical procedure, Burt died 48 hours after the surgery with the plaintiff's, Ms. Jennifer Reiff and Mr. Michael Eastwood, by his side.

Billed by S&M NuTec, as a way to "promote healthy teeth and gums," Greenies are an enormously popular dog treat sold by most pet supply stores. The plaintiff's have prepared the following statement:

"Our dog didn't choke to death on the product. He died from it not digesting and obstructing his intestines. We followed their instructions. Burt was always supervised and he always chewed his Greenies well. Yet he died a painful, horrible death. We believe that S&M NuTec chooses to blame the dogs or their owners instead of taking responsibility. Many owners have come forward and shared their similar experiences, leading us to believe that the company is very much aware of the problem."

Ms. Reiff and Mr. Eastwood allege the "benefits" of Greenies do not outweigh the risks associated with the product. The indigestibility of Greenies is a defect, and had the manufacturer adequately warned of its dangers, the couple would not have provided the treat to Burt, thereby avoiding the cause of his death.

Their attorney, Alan Sash, partner at New York law firm McLaughlin Stern, represents the plaintiffs. The lawsuit seeks damages to be determined at trial for each of the 4 Causes of Action which include: Design Defect and Failure to Warn (Strict Products Liability), Breach of Express Warranty, Negligence and punitive damages in excess of 5 million dollars.

Please visit www.burtscause.com to download a PDF of the filed complaint and other relevant information. For more information, contact The Romeo Group, Inc., at 212-362-5930, or contact the law firm of McLaughlin Stern, 212-448-1100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I have read a few of these, and it is 100% correct i know because it almost happened to Sasha. She was supervised when she was eating and happened to swallow about 2-3 inches and got it lodged in her stomache and she wouldnt eat or anything, took her to the vet and xrays. he induced vomitting to see if she could get it out the "easy" way and that did it. the last time i had remembered giving her one of these things was 2 weeks prior to having to go to the vets. I was so mad!! i called their corporate office and they told me that i needed to watch my dog closer and that it was my fault.

Let me tell you i now tell everyone i can to not give their product to their dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
I dont buy Greenies brand, because they are too expensive. My dogs eat DentaGreen, and they just fall apart while they are eating them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
wow that is a great articale..My trainer works for the plant in Kansas City, Missouri that makes Greenies.. i will have to ask her next time I see her.. i do not give greenies to my dogs but i know that my daughter gives them to her dog..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
I've heard several Greenie horror stories, and know that they are really getting some bad publicity in the news right now. I have never and will never feed a greenie. I hope they will discontinue the things. Used to feed rawhides, but have eliminated those too after watching the dogs vomit up swollen rawhide pieces.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top