Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting one doberman, realizing how much you love them, and then wanting more!! I think I may have a problem..... :roflmao:

Anyway, on a more serious (but not too serious) note. Just wondering, how many of you out there have little kids and two dobermans? Is it crazy?

If you could do it again, would you wait off on the second dobe (or kid? :lol2:).

I'm not saying we're going to, but we have started thinking about adding another doberman to the family, this time it would be more of my husband's dog, but we'd be going in on this venture together obviously. But the other side to this, is in the next 2-3 years we've also started thinking we may want to start a family. But how crazy would that be to have a one 3-4 year old dober boy, possibly a 2 year old dober girl AND a baby? Financially, we could do it but emotionally...??? LOL

So I just wanted anyone's experiences on the matter. Would it be better to plan for a 2nd doberman AFTER kids, that way Angus would be older (probably just as much of a nutter though :roflmao:) and then we'd know for a FACT if we could handle 2 dogs and a baby....

I guess what I'm saying is...
help me...

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Most people don't have enough time to take care of multiple dogs plus their own newborns.

If you can pull it off while not holding back on the amount of attention your current Dobe gets then sure, go for it but it wont be a walk in the park.

Personally, I would wait until the kids are much older. Save the aggrivation that is bound to come.

·
Shark Wrangler
1,089 Posts
Well, I have 2 young kids (who both have autism), and 2 dogs, but only one is a Dobe (the other is a wild Lab lol). Sometimes its chaos, but I love it.

When my son (my oldest) was born I had my old Lab boy, and my female border collie mix who was 1 (and extremely reactive/insecure you name it, she had issues, taken from her byb litter at like 5 weeks old, and then dumped at my clinic, she was never right). Having Quin with my newborn was easy, he was great with him (and years later great when my daughter was born), but Cash was hard to manage because of all her issues. She had to be kept separate from my son at all times (although she did seem to really like children it was NOT a risk I was willing to take). She ended up being euth'd at 3 for her issues (her reactivity got much worse in spite of trainers, behavioral vets, all sorts of medical testing, and she bit me badly more than once).

I'm rambling, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's doable, but if I were you I would focus on Angus, his training etc and wait until you have older kids to add a 2nd dog. Babies are a HUGE change, and while my experience with a newborn and 2 dogs was not the average one, I know it would have been way easier if I had just had Quin when my son was born. When my daughter was born, it was just Quin (and later a foster Basset), and it was so much more pleasant. Quin was in love with my kids, and never gave me an issue (although he was pretty old, and had started into liver issues when my daughter was born so I was making him homemade meals and lots of meds/vet trips with a newborn in tow). After he passed I waited almost 4 yrs for my next puppy because I didn't want to raise a puppy with little kids. My kids were 7 and 4 (now 8 and almost 5) when Bruce came home, and we just added Annie this summer, and while it was still tough to raise a Dobe puppy with them, it has also been fun and I feel they were at good ages for it. So...there's my experience, in amongst a bunch of rambling...sorry, need more coffee lol.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said, I'm not saying we're going to 100% add another dog yet... we've just been toying with the idea.. It's hard not to when you're on a forum like this and you keep seeing beautiful puppies/dogs and your own dog is a doll too (well, most of the time anyway).

I know it won't be easy, which is why I thought I'd ask about experiences. I also figure there must be other people who are in the same boat (or close to) as I am and may learn from a thread like this too.

Shell81 you're not rambling lol!! ...And if you are, its welcome on this thread :)
I enjoyed reading your story. I have been told by another person to do it the way you did later... add a second after your kid is 5+ years old so that the two of them can grow up together. I can't imagine having a reactive dog too while trying to juggle a baby and another dog.. but I guess that's also something to think about -- sometimes (or most times) things just don't go according to plan! WOW to you for ever wanting another dog again!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Shell81, I'd also like to point out that that's amazing that you had 2 dogs and were able to raise 2 children with autism. You deserve something better than a virtual thumbs up... but that's all I've got right now lol :nicejob:

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Hey Kayree. I also kinda have dog-fever right now. Considering another one, but probably not a Dobe.
I talk myself down by saying that, just because Roxy is so great, and we love being a dog family, it doesn't mean adding another dog with make things MORE perfect...in fact, it may mess everything up. For instance, what if a second dog is not a good dog-park candidate? (We love our dog park rambles!) Or what if he is highly prey-driven and can't be let loose at the cottage? (Just when we've got Roxy's boundaries perfected.)
Having said that, if it's meant to be, the next one just may find you...and me ;)

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
Shark Wrangler
1,089 Posts
Shell81 you're not rambling lol!! ...And if you are, its welcome on this thread :)
I enjoyed reading your story. I have been told by another person to do it the way you did later... add a second after your kid is 5+ years old so that the two of them can grow up together. I can't imagine having a reactive dog too while trying to juggle a baby and another dog.. but I guess that's also something to think about -- sometimes (or most times) things just don't go according to plan! WOW to you for ever wanting another dog again!
Cash kind of just fell into my lap. I was into showing Labs, co-owning my boy, and then she wound up at our clinic needing a home so...it was tough, and she left many scars (emotional and mental mostly) on me. I will never forget the day I had to euth her, holding her in my lap feeling like I failed her. It was hard to remind myself that I was helping to free her from her demons.

Oh Shell81, I'd also like to point out that that's amazing that you had 2 dogs and were able to raise 2 children with autism. You deserve something better than a virtual thumbs up... but that's all I've got right now lol :nicejob:
Aw, thanks :) My kids both love dogs, I guess you have no choice when your mom is a tech and you're around them a lot lol. Autism is all I know when it comes to raising kids, so I don't know. I find it mostly pretty "easy" because I'm used to it, I guess. Bruce has a very calming effect on both kids, and he "helps" me quite a bit. He will get me, and bark if they are doing anything unsafe (ie climbing for my daughter, or trying to unlock the doors to get out alone etc). In the backyard or on walks etc, he won't leave their sides. He is their self appointed service dog, and he's darn good at it lol. Annie just likes to cuddle them, but they both love that, and it's nice and calming for them too.

Having said that, if it's meant to be, the next one just may find you...and me ;)
That's how Annie came to us. We had talked about a 2nd dog (I've always loved having two), but weren't actually looking. Then it just kind of happened, and she has been perfect for us :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have five kids, a niece and two nephews who lived with me (but now are here only about 50% of the time), and four dogs - dobermutt, doberman, maltipoo/chi, doxie.

It's only hard when my niece is here because she's only a year old. My youngest is almost 4 and it's do-able, but then, I am very accustomed to the chaos. :D

Even though most of my kids are a little older, I do not plan to get a oberman puppy till they are high school age, or grown. Plus I don't want a pup till my current dogs are gone, which hopefully won't be for a very long time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...I talk myself down by saying that, just because Roxy is so great, and we love being a dog family, it doesn't mean adding another dog with make things MORE perfect...
LOL - I actually tell myself that too!! Not as much as I should but.. you know ;) But it's true, that's one thing to always keep in mind is just because Angus has been the way he is doesn't mean another dobe will act the same way. I always have to keep that in mind... There is definitely a lot to contemplate!

I hope you find your dog (or your dog finds you) Dobedream. I read your other thread and was sad that the one rescue would decline you so rudely! You'd think it would be bad enough to be told "no" without the rude comments.
That being said, obviously your dog wasn't/won't be at that rescue!! Good luck, and I hope to be told about what it's like with 2 dogs once you get your second one ;)

... I will never forget the day I had to euth her, holding her in my lap feeling like I failed her. It was hard to remind myself that I was helping to free her from her demons.
You almost made me cry. That's one of the saddest things I've read! I hope you now realize that you did the best you could and finally let her have peace. I don't think anyone could ever judge you for that ...

I have five kids, a niece and two nephews who lived with me (but now are here only about 50% of the time), and four dogs - dobermutt, doberman, maltipoo/chi, doxie.
HOLY! What a busy household you have!! How do you find it with the four year old and the dogs? At that age do they really understand how to behave with the dogs??? (Sounds silly I know, but again, I don't have children so.. :) ). I know you're probably constantly with them when they're with the dogs, but even still children will be children :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
387 Posts
HOLY! What a busy household you have!! How do you find it with the four year old and the dogs? At that age do they really understand how to behave with the dogs??? (Sounds silly I know, but again, I don't have children so.. :) ). I know you're probably constantly with them when they're with the dogs, but even still children will be children :rolleyesww:
I do supervise everyone, but luckily, my kids have been around animals since birth so its pretty ingrained in them. And I have tolerant dogs. :D

Lucky (the doxie) is borderline obsessed with my 5 year old - they're the best of friends. Which is so funny to me because they're both like grouchy old men. My 7 year old nephew is super bonded to Bugs, he's had a lot of terrible hurts in his life and I think she sense that. When he's not here, she gravitates to my 12 year old. Bruno (dobermutt) just adores my 9 year old, and will do anything she asks, but hardly listens to anyone else lol. And the maltipoo/chi, Nightmare, loves my 6 year old, but he also literally loves everyone and everything. I wish I could be like him. He even lets kittens nurse on his armpit. He is really an exemplary soul.

The only issue I ever really have with kids and dogs is that they all get rambunctious at the same time. Dinner time sucks, because everyone decides its time to race through the house and act like jerks. That's when I send the kids outside and the big dogs out back, so Mama can cook in a little bit of peace.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
Whenever I think about wanting to become the crazy Doberman lady, I just think about the cost of heartworm meds for additional dobes :rolleyesww: I plan to add a male in a couple years. I think two is a good number for me!

Reactions: Kayree

·
Shark Wrangler
1,089 Posts
You almost made me cry. That's one of the saddest things I've read! I hope you now realize that you did the best you could and finally let her have peace. I don't think anyone could ever judge you for that ...
Aw, thanks :) I am mostly at peace about it now, its been quite a few years, but there are still times that I think about her, and cry. I'm sure she's at the bridge with my Quin though (she was very bonded with him), having a blast.

You asked about 4 yr olds with dogs...my daughter was 4 when we brought Bruce home (he was 8 weeks), and it was a bit chaotic at times lol. As BrunoNBuggers also said, my kids have been around animals right from birth, so I'm sure that helped in my home too.

I obviously supervise everyone too, and it helps that I have a baby gate in my hallway (one of those mounted swing gates) so the kids can play without the dogs, and the dogs can have space to play without the kids. They all play together a lot, but being able to separate everyone helps too, especially when they all start to get just a little bit wound up lol.

My kids aren't the poke, prod, maul the dogs type either, which really helps. Their favorite thing to do with the dogs is cuddle with them on the couch. They respect the dogs, and the dogs respect them. I think most people think I'm insane, 2 kids with autism, and 2 dogs, but our house runs pretty smoothly. Plus I left my job as a tech to be home with the kids (I'll go back one day, I love it too much), so that really helps too, I have time to give everyone lots of attention and love. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Kayree - I will type my thoughts (honestly)...just what comes out of my head.
- I read your post #1 only...not wanting to be influenced/jaded or miss a true thought here
- sometimes, this is a fun answering approach (for me)

Getting one doberman, realizing how much you love them, and then wanting more!! I think I may have a problem.
^^^^ We had our 1st puppy girl born in 1977, 2nd girl in year 2000 and current girl in 2012 (last year)
(never a multiple dog family, unless we babysit our sons YorkiePoo Trevor...:sweat:)
- one dober was always enough here, and it gets full human love, till the day it dies
- I try over the years to treat each one very special & build a unique humanized intelligence/bond, in them
- I don't need a 2nd dog to play & entertain the other / that's my job

Anyway, on a more serious (but not too serious) note. Just wondering, how many of you out there have little kids and two dobermans? Is it crazy?
^^^^ Not my experience...but kids take up a ton of mentoring/shaping, once they come.

If you could do it again, would you wait off on the second dobe (or kid?).
^^^^ FYI...our dobe was 5 y/o when our one & only son arrived
- our 1st puppy was a human baby replacement, for the interim / still a good learning experience

I'm not saying we're going to, but we have started thinking about adding another doberman to the family, this time it would be more of my husband's dog, but we'd be going in on this venture together obviously.
^^^^ If your current dobe is not your husbands dog now (said lightly)...adding another may not change much

But the other side to this, is in the next 2-3 years we've also started thinking we may want to start a family. But how crazy would that be to have a one 3-4 year old dober boy, possibly a 2 year old dober girl AND a baby? Financially, we could do it but emotionally...??? LOL
^^^^ When our human baby came into this world, our dober girl was still loved very much & still included in everything.
- but our son, for the following years was the center of our plans & universe / taking up fulfilling time & energy / glad dog was a mature adult

So I just wanted anyone's experiences on the matter. Would it be better to plan for a 2nd doberman AFTER kids, that way Angus would be older (probably just as much of a nutter though) and then we'd know for a FACT if we could handle 2 dogs and a baby....
^^^^ Our second dober was a heart dog, and we waited till she passed of old age, before acquiring a new puppy, very soon after.
- never wanted to share our love with another and make the old dobe ever feel older or replaceable

I guess what I'm saying is...help me.
^^^^ Good thread btw, and opinions are just that...what works for one, may not work best for another.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
:poster_offtopic: I had to laugh at your post, just the way your graphic and your signature pic are on my screen it looks like angus has a WTF look on his face, looking up at the cartoon pic

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kayree - I will type my thoughts (honestly)...just what comes out of my head.
- I read your post #1 only...not wanting to be influenced/jaded or miss a true thought here
As always Beaumont I appreciate your honesty, and am not offended by anything. I asked because I wanted people to tell me truthfully :)
Like I said too, it's nice getting perspectives in general about families with their dogs... I guess as a non-child person I underestimate just how many hours in a day a kid can take up...I guess crating them isn't an option then? :D

:poster_offtopic: I had to laugh at your post, just the way your graphic and your signature pic are on my screen it looks like angus has a WTF look on his face, looking up at the cartoon pic
LOL I went back to look at it, and I totally see it!! ... Maybe Angus is trying to tell me something through the forum... "WTF Mom? Another dog???? There is only room for one doberbutt to sit in your lap!"

Whenever I think about wanting to become the crazy Doberman lady, I just think about the cost of heartworm meds for additional dobes :rolleyesww: I plan to add a male in a couple years. I think two is a good number for me!
That's exactly it! I want to be that crazy doberman lady!! hahahaha
The price it costs to have 2 dobermans is a good deterrent though!!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
There was a really good link on here just recently about someone with kids and what to consider before getting a dog. In that post the dog was first then 3 kids later. blahblahblah. It was a sad post.
Anyway, I wish you luck in whatever you decide. I didn't read everyone's posts. I have to log out for now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts