Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
16,117 Posts
I wasn't thru with that last post. I was trying to add this

http://groups.msn.com/YakimaValleyKennelClub/placingthelegsampstackingtips.msnw

He will do it with a little practice. It will help to start him on a table or countertop first. Can't get away from that table can I?? Reward good behavior with treats.
It would be better to just get him to stay still in any old stance first, then work toward stacking him. This will help his behavior when you or your vet need to examine him.
Its not that hard at all, just be calm and firm.

· Registered
99 Posts
Aww How cute is that? This household is also ferret/dobie domain. I actually posted a couple pics of Trinity with the boys when she was 8 weeks. She would alway let them chase her and study their every move with the "What the hell?" look going on lol. Now that shes getting bigger (Almost 6 Months) she feels the need to lightly nip and stomp her "big brothers". So....no ferret/dobie playtime for a while. But they were the best of friends when she was itty bitty.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yeah, it's that really stiff and alert stance. Like an Irish Pointer kinda. Sanding straight up and pointing with their nose while leaning forward a tad or have most of their weight on the front legs. Head and tail up, like a "attennnnnnnnnnntION!!!!!!!!" military type.................

Right? Good explaination? huh? huh? did I get it? huh?

We're going to try Christmas photos for Xmas cards with me, the GF and the 3 doggies. Should be fun. I'll set my Sony up on the tri-pod and try and take a few......this will be fun :)

· Premium Member
8,050 Posts
OK how do you keep Yogi from smacking the Ferret with his front feet playing??? Buddy is almost 8 mos. old weighs 72#. I sometimes think he is a Boxer he wants to smack Patches (Long Haired Minnie Doxie) with his feet he is playing but he plays way too rough. I'm too chicken to turn them loose together scared Buddy might accidentally hurt Patches because he is so BIG. I just wonder if I will ever be able to let them loose in the back yard together Patches wants to play with Buddy so much. I have let them play in the house Patches can get under the couch to get away from Buddy. Being a true Doxie she can get mad at Buddy and she will go right after him if he bites too hard.Her favorite place to play bite with Buddy is his huge mouth.She rarely will back off she wants to play,play he wants to play too but recently has been Boxing at Patches with his long front legs.
Patches Mom

· Registered
1,752 Posts
Doxies are tough!

My sister's miniature doxie stays here when she is traveling. DeDe (the doxie) lays down the law as soon as she shows up, then everything runs smooth the whole time she's here.

Three of my dogs are 100+lbs and Mensa weighs in at about 75. DeDe is less than 10 lbs, but she runs and plays with the big dogs just fine.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yogi DOES wack the ferrets with his paws. He has a habbit of standing on them to. Then, he'll wrap his entire mouth around them in play. But, when he grows up....one quick turn of the head and he may draw blood.

Right now, I watch them extremely closely when they play and I only let them play in the ferrets room.

If you know ferrets though, they are quite indestructible. It would take a lot to do one in. And they can fend for themselves pretty well. In fact, when Yogi is throwing is body weight around and pisses one of the ferrets off, they WILL bite him. And a ferret bit on the lip hurts like heck. Certainly makes Yogi yelp very loud. But that's okay, the ferret is just protecting himself and playing at the same time.

My ferrets are used to playing with dogs as they have been since babies. having these large mouths lunge at them is a familiar sight to them. They've also learned to protect themselves by biting the face and lip of the dogs. their teath are extremely long and razor sharp. When they bite, Yogi backs off.

I may never be able to let them play without direct supervision, because of Yogi's weight. But, that's okay. We'll work out a schedule, I'm sure. Perhaps he can have a few minutes to toss them around and then I'll put him in the bedroom for a nap and let the ferrets play alone for 45 minutes. We'll work it out. As long as Yogi is not deliberately eating them then we can work out a simple schedule :)

· Registered
16,117 Posts
Alright, I know you stacked him out and measured him last nite, so how tall is he (at the shoulders)?
You might try measuring that garbage can in the pic. It only looks like maybe an inch or two taller than him.:jonkel:

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Linda H said:
Alright, I know you stacked him out and measured him last nite, so how tall is he (at the shoulders)?
You might try measuring that garbage can in the pic. It only looks like maybe an inch or two taller than him.:jonkel:
Ahhhh, okay....the shoulders. Gotcha. I'll have a measurement tonight, I promise.

Ah, and that's not a garabage can. That's a 30 LB food container filled with Innova for my ferts. Yes, they get treated like royalty. I'm getting one just like it for Yogi. Air tight locking lid with a 1 1/2 cup scooper. And it has wheels so you can just roll it around.

· Registered
16,117 Posts
Well, just sit the bag in it, cause when I bought the canidae, somehow, I was informed not to pour the food into another container. Cannot for the life of me remember where I got this info, maybe, dogfoodanalysis.com. Said it exposes all the food to air which hastens decomposition.
How on earth could you forget the chore I gave you???
You might just bait him close to a wall and make a quick mark like you would a wild child.
Shoulders = top of shoulder blade, know where it is before you attempt this. I can see all of you upside down now!!!

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I can see all of you upside down now!!! ha ha ha

sounds like fun :)

As far as the food? I've always poured the Innova into the container. I do it because I mix 3 high quality foods together. It's easy if you dump all three bags in there and then just shake up the container. I've never had a problem with food drying out and that food takes MONTHS for the ferts to finish. The dogs will only have to last 2 weeks.

But, whatever, I can leave the bag in it. It's certainly large enough.

Linda, what height SHOULD he be at for 6 months?

· Registered
16,117 Posts
Just recently read that article about the food, I always thought dumping it into a closed container was a great idea, but the article made sense.
I don't know how tall he should be, Murreydobe would be a great one for that question or Maryanddobes as I know they have current experience with pups.
The pups growth rates can vary also, some grow to their permanent height quicker than others of the same litter.
Nineteen inches doesn't sound too terribbly small for six months though.
http://www.dpca.org/standard.html
I think he is catching up!!!

· Registered
16,117 Posts
Already checked that thread out, get him on the good food asap!!! He will do much better than he is now.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.