Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nobody ever understood why Ferrets are not legal in CA. However, we at the ferret forum came to the conclusion that CA has more laws than any other State. Even most automobiles are required to meet CARB standards even if they're not going to be in CA. To leave and enter CA, you must also go through a check point where they search your car. Like driving into Mexico. I think it's stupid. California is its own country. Always has been right back from the days of the West. I don't believe it to even be an American State :) (we argued this point for about 8 pages in a thread at the ferret forum) :)

However, even though they are not legal, a large portion of the population has ferrets. They even have secret driving routes to get them in and out of the state so they are not discovered by "border patrol".

And Ferrets do like cat food as that's what ferret food is, feline food. The best food you can feed them is Innova Evo Cat & Kitten. You can also feed them any cat or kitten food from the store.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Was there ever a rabies problem associated w/ ferrets and that's why they are considered 'illegal' in CA? That's the main reason most 'wild' animals aren't considered pet material. Rabies is a horrible disease to die from if you're not treated in time.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, anyone can own any pet and not get it vaccinated properly. Why pick on ferrets. My ferrets have all their shots, just like Yogi. A ferret is no different than any other pet.

That's like saying if someone gets bit by a dog and gets rabies because the dog didn't have shots, then make ALL dogs illegal. That's silly.

Yeah, Ferrets can get rabies just like any other animal.

Here, Raccoons are known for rabies. But, you can still have one for a pet if you'd like :)

· Registered
3,942 Posts
DaKari said:
Thanks okie, I actually put it all together, I got the house picture in my email and already had the pictures of the dogs so I cleaned them up, resized them to fit and put them in the picture and then added the snow to make the animation.
I really like it too! Very nice

· Registered
421 Posts
I think they are illegal there because they were afraid they would be tunred loose and destroy the natural species there. I think hedgehogs are illegal there for the same reason.

I love ferrets and have taken in three sets over the last couple of years and miss them when they are gone,but I've never quite gotten use to that ferret musk. every time they have come to me thats why they were given up to,I wonder why theses people think they don't smell at the pet store they get them from?

If I really found a way to keep the smell down I'd definately have some-but I have heard form people try this or that food and mine don't stink,but then I go visit them and it smells the same.

I always kept mine away from all the other animals mainly because I think the ferrets would have attacked:tongue23: I had one that would absolutely loose its mind when it heard a squeky toy. it was the weirdest thing.

And remember only in california does pool stick chalk cubes cause cancer. I about died when I read that on the box.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
That's Cali for ya :)

Odors affect people in different ways. Some people smell things that other don't. Some smells are offensive to some and pleasant to others. One persons trash is another persons treasure. That's just how it is. If you don't like the smell then that's completely okay. I have friends that say the same thing about dogs. They absolutely HATE the smell of dogs.

Me? I HATE the smell of human babies. And believe me, human babies smell 10 times stronger than ferrets.

It's all a matter of personal taste.

And when you love something, it can be the most beautiful thing in the world. If you have an ugly child, you would still think that your kid is the best looking kid around.

I love my ferrets to death. They are my family. I absolutely love their smell and will stick the ferrets up my nose and deeply inhale their musk.

Again, personal preference. Everyone has one and everyone is certainly entitled to have one.

I love my ferrets more than Yogi and they would certainly come first if I had to choose.

I love them.

http://www.longofinancial.com/ferret_pictures.htm

· Registered
16,117 Posts
Yogi said:
I've been slowly introducing them to Yogi so they can be friends and play together. But, Yogi is HUGE compared to them. Today, I let them all out to play and they did GREAT together.

Tom,
It can be done with supervision. My first dobe loved everything I brought home. Guinea pigs and bunny. She protected the gps from everyone she didn't approve of, including my cats, and played with the bunny. When she was around a yr old she brought me a wild baby bunny. I was not happy but managed to raise it to turn loose.
A lot will be determined how you handle the situation with them. The main thing I would worry about would be a quick snap and the paw slapping hurting the ferrett. I think you can handle the situation.
Boy, has he grown as much as he looks like? What was his last weight?
You will really start to notice that tail if you have a coffee table with anything on it!!!

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ha ha ha ha ha............the coffee table. My GF and I joke about that all the time. He wacks everything off onto the floor :) :) Funny as heck but you can't put a glass of water on there. Plus, you can only eat standing up right now :)

He is up to 37 pounds (still lite I think) from 33.5 pounds from 3 weeks ago. You think that's a lot for 3 weeks? He's an estimated 6 months old right now (at least according to the Rescues paper work). I'm guessing he really should weigh more than 37 pounds at 6 months. What do you think?

· Registered
16,117 Posts
Yeah, he should weigh more, but we have already discussed this before. If you get him on the good food, sunlight and excercise, you have done all you can to help him.
I do know they have good stools with the candidae, don't know about the innova. (afterthought)
I saw his pic in the dog park on another post and he looks really good. Just wonder how tall he is now. You got a yardstick??
Got to leave will try to get back tomorrow when you have his height. :tropthy:

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'll try to measure him Linda, but I've gotta tell you that he's Mr. Bouncy and it will be hard to get him to stand up straight when I'm goofing around with a tape measure :) I'll try and have my GF hold him tomorrow and see. He's definetaly getting taller, that's for sure. I'm hoping for a massive SPURT.

And yes, you and I have talked this to death already :) hee hee

He will be what he will be and I will love every crooked inch of him :)

I do have one question though, even though he's really bouncy and springy, he seems to have rear leg weakness or something. For instance, when he climbs up on the couch, it seems like he has a hard time pushing himself up with his rear legs. And when he gets into the truck (which is rather high) he doesn't seem to JUMP into the truck. Actually, he can't get into it at all. He puts his front paws on the sill and just stands there until I lift him up and put him in.

Is this natural for a puppy of his age, or should he easily be able to BOING onto the sofa?

· Registered
16,117 Posts
Been a long time since I had a pup this age, my last one is 10 or 11 now. My guess is that if you don't see a weakness when he is running and playing, sharp turns full blast, etc., then he is just uncertain of himself in these situations. Actually I would be glad that he is not jumping up and down a lot at this age. I would prefer the stepping up with the hind legs on couch and needing a boost up in the truck.
I'm sure others that have recently had pups can help you on this one.
Try the table standing or try stacking him. Are there any dog shows close that you could attend. Interesting, plus you could learn how to stack him. If nothing else he needs to learn to give you this control over him.
I am leaving now!!

· Registered
16,117 Posts
It's not that hard to teach.!! But dang hard to explain

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.