Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family has owned pet stores most of my life. Ferrets have always been our "staple". I've always owned them. I have 3. Roxy, Homer and Sophia.

I've been slowly introducing them to Yogi so they can be friends and play together. But, Yogi is HUGE compared to them. Today, I let them all out to play and they did GREAT together. I hoping that they will develop a great and long friendship.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why I'm introducing them now, in the "hopes" that they will become good friends. I am aware, however, that this may not work and in the worst case I'll just let the ferrets out when Yogi is sleeping. I usually only leave them out about an hour per day.

As far as them smelling? No. If you feed them Marshalls food? Yes. Marshalls food has Scrod in it and that makes the ferrets skin smell. I feed them Innova Evo Dog Dry and a mix of other foods.

What DOES smell is their litter. So, if you are a clean person and you clean the littler pan regularly, they are fine. But, if you let it go, it will smell.

Depends upon whether you're a clean person or not. My ferrets have no more "ferret smell" than my dog has "dog smell" :) :)

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My ferrets are used to playing with doggies. My ferrets were just little kits when my GF's bostons were puppies. So, they grew up together and they play together til' day's end. It's so cute and funny.

You want to see Homer and Prada playing in action? This is how cute and funny it is http://www.longofinancial.com/hpim1284.mpg It takes a while to download cuz it's a large video file.

I just hope that the ferts and Yogi can play together just as well. But the ferrets are no stranger to rough dog play and can handle themselves pretty good. But, Yogi will be big enough to swallow them whole in a few months :)

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never actually smelled a non-decented ferret, as they all come that way from Marshalls. Neutered as well.

What did you feed it? Did he/her live a full life? Or did he die from his own smell? :) ha ha ha

I've had skunks as well. Here's Charlie below.

He was decented as well and had no smell. Charlie was great.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Charlie was a lap dog. The problem with skunks is that they require TO much attention. Every where I went, there he was. And they do NOT like being left alone at all and do not train to accept it. They shriek beyond belief. He was more tough than raising Yogi. But, he was the life of every party. Litter trained and all, no cage necessary. They aren't chewers or anything. Fantastic pet. If you're ever curious, type up "pet skunks" on a search engine and you'll be shocked at how many people have several of them with pictures of them laying all over the place. They get big to, like large Raccoons.

As far as ferrets, did you know that they ranked as the 3rd most popular pet? Very good pets they are. Keep their environment clean and feed them food with NO FISH in it and they'll never smell. Actually, Innova just came out with a ferret specific food now.

Great signature picture DaKari!!!

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nobody ever understood why Ferrets are not legal in CA. However, we at the ferret forum came to the conclusion that CA has more laws than any other State. Even most automobiles are required to meet CARB standards even if they're not going to be in CA. To leave and enter CA, you must also go through a check point where they search your car. Like driving into Mexico. I think it's stupid. California is its own country. Always has been right back from the days of the West. I don't believe it to even be an American State :) (we argued this point for about 8 pages in a thread at the ferret forum) :)

However, even though they are not legal, a large portion of the population has ferrets. They even have secret driving routes to get them in and out of the state so they are not discovered by "border patrol".

And Ferrets do like cat food as that's what ferret food is, feline food. The best food you can feed them is Innova Evo Cat & Kitten. You can also feed them any cat or kitten food from the store.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, anyone can own any pet and not get it vaccinated properly. Why pick on ferrets. My ferrets have all their shots, just like Yogi. A ferret is no different than any other pet.

That's like saying if someone gets bit by a dog and gets rabies because the dog didn't have shots, then make ALL dogs illegal. That's silly.

Yeah, Ferrets can get rabies just like any other animal.

Here, Raccoons are known for rabies. But, you can still have one for a pet if you'd like :)

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
That's Cali for ya :)

Odors affect people in different ways. Some people smell things that other don't. Some smells are offensive to some and pleasant to others. One persons trash is another persons treasure. That's just how it is. If you don't like the smell then that's completely okay. I have friends that say the same thing about dogs. They absolutely HATE the smell of dogs.

Me? I HATE the smell of human babies. And believe me, human babies smell 10 times stronger than ferrets.

It's all a matter of personal taste.

And when you love something, it can be the most beautiful thing in the world. If you have an ugly child, you would still think that your kid is the best looking kid around.

I love my ferrets to death. They are my family. I absolutely love their smell and will stick the ferrets up my nose and deeply inhale their musk.

Again, personal preference. Everyone has one and everyone is certainly entitled to have one.

I love my ferrets more than Yogi and they would certainly come first if I had to choose.

I love them.

http://www.longofinancial.com/ferret_pictures.htm

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ha ha ha ha ha............the coffee table. My GF and I joke about that all the time. He wacks everything off onto the floor :) :) Funny as heck but you can't put a glass of water on there. Plus, you can only eat standing up right now :)

He is up to 37 pounds (still lite I think) from 33.5 pounds from 3 weeks ago. You think that's a lot for 3 weeks? He's an estimated 6 months old right now (at least according to the Rescues paper work). I'm guessing he really should weigh more than 37 pounds at 6 months. What do you think?

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'll try to measure him Linda, but I've gotta tell you that he's Mr. Bouncy and it will be hard to get him to stand up straight when I'm goofing around with a tape measure :) I'll try and have my GF hold him tomorrow and see. He's definetaly getting taller, that's for sure. I'm hoping for a massive SPURT.

And yes, you and I have talked this to death already :) hee hee

He will be what he will be and I will love every crooked inch of him :)

I do have one question though, even though he's really bouncy and springy, he seems to have rear leg weakness or something. For instance, when he climbs up on the couch, it seems like he has a hard time pushing himself up with his rear legs. And when he gets into the truck (which is rather high) he doesn't seem to JUMP into the truck. Actually, he can't get into it at all. He puts his front paws on the sill and just stands there until I lift him up and put him in.

Is this natural for a puppy of his age, or should he easily be able to BOING onto the sofa?

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yeah, it's that really stiff and alert stance. Like an Irish Pointer kinda. Sanding straight up and pointing with their nose while leaning forward a tad or have most of their weight on the front legs. Head and tail up, like a "attennnnnnnnnnntION!!!!!!!!" military type.................

Right? Good explaination? huh? huh? did I get it? huh?

We're going to try Christmas photos for Xmas cards with me, the GF and the 3 doggies. Should be fun. I'll set my Sony up on the tri-pod and try and take a few......this will be fun :)

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yogi DOES wack the ferrets with his paws. He has a habbit of standing on them to. Then, he'll wrap his entire mouth around them in play. But, when he grows up....one quick turn of the head and he may draw blood.

Right now, I watch them extremely closely when they play and I only let them play in the ferrets room.

If you know ferrets though, they are quite indestructible. It would take a lot to do one in. And they can fend for themselves pretty well. In fact, when Yogi is throwing is body weight around and pisses one of the ferrets off, they WILL bite him. And a ferret bit on the lip hurts like heck. Certainly makes Yogi yelp very loud. But that's okay, the ferret is just protecting himself and playing at the same time.

My ferrets are used to playing with dogs as they have been since babies. having these large mouths lunge at them is a familiar sight to them. They've also learned to protect themselves by biting the face and lip of the dogs. their teath are extremely long and razor sharp. When they bite, Yogi backs off.

I may never be able to let them play without direct supervision, because of Yogi's weight. But, that's okay. We'll work out a schedule, I'm sure. Perhaps he can have a few minutes to toss them around and then I'll put him in the bedroom for a nap and let the ferrets play alone for 45 minutes. We'll work it out. As long as Yogi is not deliberately eating them then we can work out a simple schedule :)

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Linda H said:
Alright, I know you stacked him out and measured him last nite, so how tall is he (at the shoulders)?
You might try measuring that garbage can in the pic. It only looks like maybe an inch or two taller than him.:jonkel:
Ahhhh, okay....the shoulders. Gotcha. I'll have a measurement tonight, I promise.

Ah, and that's not a garabage can. That's a 30 LB food container filled with Innova for my ferts. Yes, they get treated like royalty. I'm getting one just like it for Yogi. Air tight locking lid with a 1 1/2 cup scooper. And it has wheels so you can just roll it around.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I can see all of you upside down now!!! ha ha ha

sounds like fun :)

As far as the food? I've always poured the Innova into the container. I do it because I mix 3 high quality foods together. It's easy if you dump all three bags in there and then just shake up the container. I've never had a problem with food drying out and that food takes MONTHS for the ferts to finish. The dogs will only have to last 2 weeks.

But, whatever, I can leave the bag in it. It's certainly large enough.

Linda, what height SHOULD he be at for 6 months?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.