Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family has owned pet stores most of my life. Ferrets have always been our "staple". I've always owned them. I have 3. Roxy, Homer and Sophia.

I've been slowly introducing them to Yogi so they can be friends and play together. But, Yogi is HUGE compared to them. Today, I let them all out to play and they did GREAT together. I hoping that they will develop a great and long friendship.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Hehehe, cute pics! Ferrets are cute, but I have heard they are kinda smelly. I cant have any more animals after the new puppy. So I should not even be able to look at pictures of cute animals.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Remember the high prey drive in Dobermans!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why I'm introducing them now, in the "hopes" that they will become good friends. I am aware, however, that this may not work and in the worst case I'll just let the ferrets out when Yogi is sleeping. I usually only leave them out about an hour per day.

As far as them smelling? No. If you feed them Marshalls food? Yes. Marshalls food has Scrod in it and that makes the ferrets skin smell. I feed them Innova Evo Dog Dry and a mix of other foods.

What DOES smell is their litter. So, if you are a clean person and you clean the littler pan regularly, they are fine. But, if you let it go, it will smell.

Depends upon whether you're a clean person or not. My ferrets have no more "ferret smell" than my dog has "dog smell" :) :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Those pics are cute! The way they are looking at eachother in that last shot is so funny, like they can't believe what they're looking at.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My ferrets are used to playing with doggies. My ferrets were just little kits when my GF's bostons were puppies. So, they grew up together and they play together til' day's end. It's so cute and funny.

You want to see Homer and Prada playing in action? This is how cute and funny it is http://www.longofinancial.com/hpim1284.mpg It takes a while to download cuz it's a large video file.

I just hope that the ferts and Yogi can play together just as well. But the ferrets are no stranger to rough dog play and can handle themselves pretty good. But, Yogi will be big enough to swallow them whole in a few months :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I'm not sure I trust that look in Yogi's eye: 'Hey, a stuffie....and it MOVES'! Had Java @ PetSmart this weekend and the prey drive kicked in when she was nose to nose with the guinea pig cage - ears straight up, eyes tracking every move the critters made. She didn't growl but she was certainly checking out the seams in the glass to see if there was a way to get in....

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Cute. I Love ferrets. I used to have them for years. I had one that I rescued that didn't have his glands removed. Talk about smell. His oils were out of this world. No bath could control it.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Yogi said:
Oh yeah, not descented? Fugettaboudit :)
Yup. Totally smelly. He was older when I took him in and didn't want to put him through anymore. Poor thing was starved half to death. I managed to work on the smell and keep it down. When you were done handling him, your hands would smell like ferret from his oils.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never actually smelled a non-decented ferret, as they all come that way from Marshalls. Neutered as well.

What did you feed it? Did he/her live a full life? Or did he die from his own smell? :) ha ha ha

I've had skunks as well. Here's Charlie below.

He was decented as well and had no smell. Charlie was great.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Charlie was a lap dog. The problem with skunks is that they require TO much attention. Every where I went, there he was. And they do NOT like being left alone at all and do not train to accept it. They shriek beyond belief. He was more tough than raising Yogi. But, he was the life of every party. Litter trained and all, no cage necessary. They aren't chewers or anything. Fantastic pet. If you're ever curious, type up "pet skunks" on a search engine and you'll be shocked at how many people have several of them with pictures of them laying all over the place. They get big to, like large Raccoons.

As far as ferrets, did you know that they ranked as the 3rd most popular pet? Very good pets they are. Keep their environment clean and feed them food with NO FISH in it and they'll never smell. Actually, Innova just came out with a ferret specific food now.

Great signature picture DaKari!!!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
DaKari said:
Oh my goodness, Charlie is so cute!! Haha, a pet skunk. Marvelous!

Where did you find that picture of the dobies in the snow DaKari. I love it!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Yogi said:
I never actually smelled a non-decented ferret, as they all come that way from Marshalls. Neutered as well.

What did you feed it? Did he/her live a full life? Or did he die from his own smell? :) ha ha ha

I've had skunks as well. Here's Charlie below.

He was decented as well and had no smell. Charlie was great.
Awww. Now that is just Too cute. I think that may work better for burgulars than a dog would if they got into the house. No?

He did live a pretty long life. I had him for some years. He enjoyed to sneak my cat food and hide it for later. That was his favorite treats. They have always loved the cat food. I always got those yogurt bites for them. Some liked them and some didn't. I fed them ferret food from the pet store. I think they got more cat food though then anything.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
"As far as ferrets, did you know that they ranked as the 3rd most popular pet?"

And they got to #3 while being out-lawed in California.

I don't understand why they're illegal here. Weasels run the State, the least they could do is legalize ferrets.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Chaz...make sure Yogi doesnt invite mensa over to play with the ferrets! lol We all know what that would lead to right? :) haha.

mensa is the little brave rat catcher on the forum :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
Where did you find that picture of the dobies in the snow DaKari. I love it!

Thanks okie, I actually put it all together, I got the house picture in my email and already had the pictures of the dogs so I cleaned them up, resized them to fit and put them in the picture and then added the snow to make the animation.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts