Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If a breeder, whether reputable or merely claims to be reputable is given a dog back for whatever reason, does the breeder refund the purchase price? Resell the dog? alter and place in hopefully a forever home? What is the general take on this. I have seen so may dogs on advertsing mediums indicating that they have returned and yet are asking the same price over and over again? How many times does a breeder sell a dog? It just seems too sad for the dog!

·
Extraordimary
4,988 Posts
It varies. Widely.

I have it in my contract that I'll take any of my dogs back for any reason at any time, and will try to rehome it if I can on a consignment basis. Obviously, that might not be possible with, say, a 9 year old. It's not like we have people banging on our door looking for 9 year olds, so it's unlikely to be rehomed at all and will need to stay here. I'm certainly not going to give back the purchase fee on an old dog. If it's a younger dog that can more easily be rehomed, I try to charge a reasonable fee and pass it along to the orginal owner. I might deduct a bit for food and whatnot depending on how long it stayed with me and what it needed while here.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It varies. Widely.

I have it in my contract that I'll take any of my dogs back for any reason at any time, and will try to rehome it if I can on a consignment basis. Obviously, that might not be possible with, say, a 9 year old. It's not like we have people banging on our door looking for 9 year olds, so it's unlikely to be rehomed at all and will need to stay here. I'm certainly not going to give back the purchase fee on an old dog. If it's a younger dog that can more easily be rehomed, I try to charge a reasonable fee and pass it along to the orginal owner. I might deduct a bit for food and whatnot depending on how long it stayed with me and what it needed while here.
Thank you, that was pretty much what I had thought as well. However, I have seen all to many breeders resell and resell the same dog and it thoroughly disgusts me. It appears as if a time would come to just have the primary concern be the dog,,,not the $$ in the pocket. Please to not think that I feel dogs should be placed FREE, but a fair amount of investigation should be done into the proper home so that a return is not viable after the first placement!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
I always take back my dogs anytime for any reason.

over the years i have taken back and rehomed 4 of my dogs.

I do not refund the price of the pup. All puppy buyers were told this when they bought their pups.

I never charged the new owners anything for one of my rehomed pups. Most of my rehomed pups went to homes that already had one of my dogs. :)

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
May I ask what breeders you have seen sell and resell the same dog over and over??? Is there facts to back that up I guess is what I am asking.

We do get dogs back occassionaly and usually because a family is getting a divorce or they are having other problems. We take them in becasue we love them and do not want them thrown from pillar to post as you say - Breeders are not revolving doors. We stand solid to protect our own

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
We also don't know what the breeder may have paid to get the dog back. I know a Vizsla breeder who moved across the US and at 1 yr a dog needed to be rehomed. He paid the fees to get the vet check and fly the dog out ASAP. I think that was about $500. He also had to buy the crate, etc. Vizslas usually for for $1500. He considered re-selling the dog AND giving the money to rescue. I'd hae no problem with tha tmyself. In the long run, he ended up placing the dog for free and just taking a $500 or so loss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts