Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I havn't posted any questions in a while (partly because all has been pretty good). I've had my pup since 6.5 weeks of age and she is now 13.5 weeks old. My problem is that she still crys for a while when put in her crate and constantly when company is over. Her crate is in the living room. I never let her out while crying. At what point can I expect her to back off on the yelling. As far as attention goes, she is let out for around 1.5 hours/day outisde and 3.5 hours/day insiden during the week. She has only had one accident inside and that was during her 1st week.

Also (I'm not sure if this is normal not having had a dobie before) on occasion when she is corrected she will growl and start running cirles around me as if she wants to pounce. When I tell her "NO BITE", she sometimes gets pissed. The most common correction occurs when she trys to grab peoples ankles with her hypodermic needle teeth and this is usually after she has been out for a while. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is a picture of Miss Callie at 12 weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sounds like silly puppy antics. Funny as it is, she can`t be allowed to bite ankles unless you want your company to go home. (just kiddidng)
Inwardly I am laughing though. Some pups are bad about that but with corrections they stop. Try giving her a toy to run around with befor she starts her sillies.
I had one dobie that was so bad about that as a pup. I think she should have been on ritland and was she persistent. On an encouraging note we did get her to quit and she became truly a great doberman.
Your potty training is going great though. I guess you can`t have everything at once.:)

·
Banned
675 Posts
I'm not sure I have the whole picture here. How much time is this puppy spending in her crate during each 24 hours? What kind of exercise does she get? Why is she crated when company comes over?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Growling at you?

Hmmm, maybe she thinks that you are not the pack leader and maybe is getting pushy? I have a female pup about the same age and she cries and even howls sometimes but she has settled down a lot now. Also when she tries to nip my ankles or those of my kids we all tell her no bite. Sometimes I have to hold her muzzle, firm but not hard to get her to stop. She then realizes that she can't do that.

But she has never growled or even acted like she was mad at us. Maybe some puppy classes would help you? She's just like a kid, all she wants to do is play but she'll eventually learn there's a time and place for everything. That's our job to teach her. However, there is never a time and place for biting, especially her family. Just my own .02 cents. Buy a couple puppy books and training books to help you out.

Best of luck

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Give the puppy something to do while in the crate...a bone, a kong filled with cheese....something to focus on. Small puppies should not be crated for long periods...not sure what your schedule is like but frequent trips out are important. When she is out try to engage her enough to tire her out a bit...that might help. Also a cookie reward to go in the crate helps to make crate time a positive thing.

I also have to say and please don't take offense but 6 1/2 weeks old is WAY too young to be removed from the litter. Puppies learn very important social skills during the 6 7 and 8 week periods. They are taught by littermates and their mother very important social skills...which could partly be the reason you are having a few issues.

I never place my puppies until at least 10 weeks old....anyone who lets them leave the litter prior to 8 weeks causes me as a breeder, concern.

Regards,

Elaine Hopper
Starlaine Dobermans
www.starlaine.com

Reactions: jdb0825

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably undershot how much she gets out. I let her out for a while before work and my mother and father (retired and living on the same street as I) let her and their lab out twice a day. When I say let out, I mean use the bathroom and play for around 30 minutes. After I get home at 6:00 give or take, I play with her outside for around 45 minutes then let her roam around the house for a couple of hours after that. Her bad behavior seems to occur at the end of her outings. I think she knows that I am the leader (I don't know where my parents or fiancee stand), but she is a very headstrong pup. I have several doberman books and other non-breed specific books. I was really wanting to see if this is more "normal" for dobermans. As far as when company is over, I usually let her play for a while. If my fiancee and I are watching a movie, I want her in the crate.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think it is normal puppy behavior.....and a tired puppy is a well behaved puppy. Training will come into play as well. In all honesty you haven't had her that long. She is after all a baby, why do you put her up when watching a movie? Mine have always spent more time out of a crate than in. These guys like to be with their people :) and that's what is sounds like to me.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I think she is spending too much time in the crate. I always have a crate for every dog, and I use them, but not as the dog's living space. IOW my puppies "live" in the house, they only go into the crate when I'm away from the house, or can't watch them, such as taking a shower or something like that. I don't put them in the crate when company comes, and I don't put them in the crate because I want to watch a movie on tv. I have Dobermans because I want to be with them and I want them to want to be with me. I've had two other breeds but neither of them had this degree of desire to share their lives with me. Some people don't like that kind of togetherness, for them probably another breed would be a better fit.

Your puppy's behavior sounds normal to me, not just for a Doberman, but for any young puppy with normal energy who's being relegated to a crate for too much of the time. If you keep her in a crate any time you think she will be "bothering" you, like while watching tv or when you have guests, she will have no way to learn the proper way to behave in those situations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Micdobe, I figured from your line of questioning that I'd have to go on the defense. Not everyone can be at home 24-7. When I'm home all day on the weekends and trying to cleanup, I'm not going to let my puppy out while I'm not giving her undivided attention. From what I read, if they are going to be alone for three hours, they would rather be in a "secure" crate than roaming around, not knowing what to do with themselves. Dogs have no concept of time. I figure that my dog gets more people/social time than 95% of owned dogs.

StarlaineK9, I appreciate your comments. I do think that her nawwing and nips are a product of her being taken home to early, but I knew that that was a possibility before I got her. The breeder wanted to get rid of the puppies at six weeks. If I hadn't got her, somebody else probably would have. I thought that she would have been better off with me than in a dog box 50 yards behind some jerks house. ..unless Micdobe was the next buyer in line of course.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
jdb0825, you are getting defensive over micdobe's reply, but you asked for opinions and advice, and that is what people are giving you.

Of course most people can't be with their dogs 24/7, myself included, but the only time my 13 week old puppy spends in his crate is:

1) when my hubby and I are at work - and we both work full time jobs (but there is about a 4-5 hour overlap when no one is home),
2) when we can't watch him for more than a few minutes - like when getting ready for work in the morning, and
3) at night.

Any other time, the dog is with us in the same room, or outside with us. We put up a gate in the house so the dog stays in the same room and can't wander off - we've found this EXTREMELY helpful for housetraining and acclimation to our 2 cats.

I'm not sure why you crate your dog when guests come over, as this is a prime time for socialization and learning to behave around other people.

Also, having a puppy means a certain amount of inconvenience, so if you have to keep a leash on her while you lay on the couch and watch a movie to keep her near you and keep an eye on her, then so be it. Dobes are "velcro" dogs and want to be with you all the time. If you wanted a dog that doesn't mind sitting in a crate when guests come over, or while her owners are relaxing watching TV, a Doberman may not have been the best choice. A little too late now, but I agree with the others that there are some situations that you mentioned that the dog would probably do better uncrated.

I'm sure my dog would hate the crate too if he was locked in it when people came over, or while we were hanging out in the house and he wasn't with us.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I don't think Micdobe was attacking you, just offering advice on how to socialize your dog. There is a lot to be learned here if you just take in what people have to say and tailor it to suit your needs. Everyone raises dogs differently, but being a first time Doberman owner there were characteristics in this breed that I did not know about and honestly had to learn. My pup came to me at 6 1/2 weeks as well, but I think that because I have two others they kind of taught him bite inhibition and what his mama would have taught him. I never used a crate and for me it was fine, that is not the case in most situations. I just kept asking, kept learning. Best advice I can give.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
My poop is now just about 7 months old.....we only crate him about 10 hours a week since getting him. I am lucky that I work only two days a week and my kids are High Schoolers so they are home early. We have our kitchen puppy proofed and completely gated....although we haven't closed two of the gates in over a month. I run my guy (since he was about 16 weeks old) for no less then one hour a day....rain or shine. Most days we hike for 1-3 hours and then he has a second run with a huge re voling pack of dogs for another 45 minutes to over an hour. As everyone has written, a tired Dobie is a good Dobie....and I have found this statement to be very true. They need far more exersize then I ever imagined! I have also found them to be very very demanding of your attention! Doing anything they can think of to get it!!! And boy can they think!!!! I love the high intelligence of this breed!!!! Your pup sounds like a normal little girl.

The folks on here only mean well, they want all of us to do the best for our dogs. I have learned a ton....especially about horrible crops :( and also about breeders who don't raise or breed puppies they way they should. Please don't take anything anyone says personally, they only want to help.

Carol & Petey! oxoxoxo

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thank God for this site. Everyone's advice has helped my pup and I SOOO much.. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't stumble upon this forum.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Well, okay, since you thought the appropriate response to my advice was to attack me personally, I won't answer any more of your questions or give you any suggestions, or take any notice of anything you write at all. My point of view is for the sake of the dog, more than the sake of the owner, I answer questions in order to try to help the dog, and the dog/human bond. But if you don't want any advice from me, you had only to write to me and say so, not to make an insulting post about me in public. Pretty rude and uncalled for, but you will get your desire.

"I thought that she would have been better off with me than in a dog box 50 yards behind some jerks house. ..unless Micdobe was the next buyer in line of course."

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
This reminds me of when a patient goes to his doctor because he has concerns and then tells the doctor now only tell me the good news. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
i agree with everyone that she is in the crate far too long. you bought a puppy and you have to deal with the puppy antics. of course she'll get annoying - she's a puppy! it's your time to shine as the leader and teach your pup how to handle situations. luna is in the crate for about 3.5 hours during the day and then at night for bed. any other time she's in the yard with me or in the house with me or we're going somewhere together. i am just now getting comfortable with leaving her unattended, but only for short periods of time. whenever i go to the grocery store or something, she also goes into the crate. but that's only for about an hour or so per week.

when luna was younger i used to have her follow me around the house with a leash. i did that until she was about 3.5/4 months old. it helped with potty training and with teaching her what she can/cannot do. you should try that. also, maybe station her with the leash when company is over. that way she can still be with you all and interact. she needs to learn these things. it's a very important learning period for her.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I never have crated Sadie and she does just fine. My man and I have gave up alot for our doggie(IE baby), we even went so far as to make sure we had alternating work shifts so someone could be with her almost 24/7. Puppies will be puppies and I have to say having a 40lbs ankle biter can be annoying, it can be trained out (unless she REALLY wants my attention lol). Dobermans are so wonderful, but they're like a perpetual 2 year old lol they're all gas and no brakes when it comes to playing, but in all honesty would rather be in your lap 24 hours a day.

Sounds to me like she's a little bored/lonely in her crate and trying to take advantage of the time she has out of it. Leashing her and keeping her with you is a really good suggestion, it truly does work.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
JDB,
I think you owe MicDobe an apology. You came and asked for advice, she did not attack you, she offered her take on the situation and sound advice - there was no reason for you to become defensive and attack her.
I'm with the crew that thinks your pup is crated too much. I know they can be a pain when you want to just chill on the couch and they're trying to pull the blanket off you, or dropping shoes on your head (a favorite trick of Chi's) but by just sticking her in her crate, you're depriving her of learning opportunities and socialization. If nothing else learn from my mistakes. I got Chi at about 6.5 weeks and have had my work cut out for me from day one. Poor breeding, leaving her litter and mother too early and my early mistakes created a nervous adult who is constant work. When she first started acting silly around guests at around 12 or 14 weeks, I took to crating her (big mistake) when they were around. If I had taken the time to work through those issues then, I wouldn't be working through them now. Every single thing that you do in and around your house can be a learning opportunity for your pup - take advantage of those opportunities now to ensure a well adjusted house companion in the future.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
I find your tone uncalled for. You were the one who posted a question and now seem to have a problem with the answers given. Not sure what your point was in the first place since it appears you really didn't want an answer after all. I commend those who actually took the time to write you a response/suggestion. Kudos to Micdobe in particular.

As for getting your puppy at 6 weeks...the (and I quote) "if I hadn't got her someone else probably would have" is exactly the line that keeps backyard breeders and petshops in business.

Good luck with your puppy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I apoligize for being hostile. I have no doubt that most advice being given is good. The problem is that its just not feasible for my situation. I really just didn't want to get the "I'm a bad father" thing when am doing basically all I can. Being on this website, trying to learn a few things should show that I am trying to improve. I am personally not home any more than about 5 hours a day. So mathematically I just can't let her out anymore than that during the week. I thought that by arranging for someone other that myself to let her out for with their dogs twice a day was probably above and beyond what most people (besides thoes on this website) are able to do during a workday. My refernce to her being crated some while at home was only in refernce to the weekend while trying to wash clothes and clean-up alittle. Okay, she should probably be out while doing anything else on the weekend like relaxing. My wife might be able to help once we're in the same location. Anyway, I know that people writing responses to my questions are generally trying to help and have know way of knowing the full situation and for that I am sorry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts