Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just met the man of my dreams. He's had lots of different dogs over his lifetime, I've had Rotts (which I'm partial to) but he wants 2 Dobermans. We have plans to be on a 105ft. yacht traveling. Can the dogs do this? I know we want puppies and we'll start them off on the boat but does anyone have an opinion on this?

I have a son that's 19 and I remember when he was little freaking out about a pool. I think with the pups having them grow up on the boat then they will be used to it and I will devote all my time to making sure they are safe.

Anyone have them traveling on the high seas? All help would be appreciated. I want a dog, I want a puppy and he wants to travel so it has to be a combo.

Thanks.

Bella

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
oh wow- thats a good question. Wouldnt you prefer a dog more suited to water in case of an accident or rough seas and it needing to swim? Many dobes like water but their build doesnt make them natural swimmers... (no webbed feet, tails that can act as rudders and protective coats). I would look more into a breed that was made to be around the water.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I know someone with a dobe who live on their boat in the winter, Tas has adapted well to "life on the seas", I do believe they have a life jacket for him and he wears it as needed. They did ensure he learned to swim, started him off early. Not sure about 2 of them, would definitely need a play area, but 105ft is a lot longer than my house! Be careful where you get them from, and do a male/female pairing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I couldn't think of anything better than sailing around with my boys! The first thing that comes to mind is exercise though - obviously your feet will be on dry land when you stop off at places so you can let the dogs have a run around then... but how long will you be sailing in between? If Bruce doesn't get a good couple of hours of exercise a day i can really tell the difference!! Might be something to consider - especially seeing as they are not the most natural swimmers so may not be able to burn off energy that way.

It might not be too safe having 2 big energy filled dogs on a yacht!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't think of anything better than sailing around with my boys! The first thing that comes to mind is exercise though - obviously your feet will be on dry land when you stop off at places so you can let the dogs have a run around then... but how long will you be sailing in between? If Bruce doesn't get a good couple of hours of exercise a day i can really tell the difference!! Might be something to consider - especially seeing as they are not the most natural swimmers so may not be able to burn off energy that way.

It might not be too safe having 2 big energy filled dogs on a yacht!!!
Every port we would be at ...I'd take them off the boat. No ands if or butts about that. I would definitely get them on shore. They would have an area for "them" to do their business, etc. but when we were near land I'd take them with me. I just want to make sure they would be ok for short periods of time on the seas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every port we would be at ...I'd take them off the boat. No ands if or butts about that. I would definitely get them on shore. They would have an area for "them" to do their business, etc. but when we were near land I'd take them with me. I just want to make sure they would be ok for short periods of time on the seas.
Ok...I'm trying to define "short periods of time at sea" with the man of my dreams and it's a little bit of a misnomer....but if we have the dogs in our hearts....I'm thinking we can make this work unless you all think that the small space would drive them nuts.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Do you mean literally "the high seas", or was that just a figure of speech? If literally, that means you'd be outside coastal waters and going for long periods without on-shore breaks.

My worries would be exercising two large, boistrous dogs, and the fact that Dobes aren't great swimmers.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'd say it could work, life jackets are a must, soft seas you could let them swim a bit with supervision,and walk them at ports for exersise. My query is were will they go to the potty?
Question,are dogs allowed in every port of call you'd be attending? Are you going to other countries,as some require a quarintine to set foot in public on foreign shores. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No far out to sea

I just spoke with him and he said we'd never be that far off-shore so we'd always be able to go to port fairly easily.

They'd have free run and it's a motor yacht not a sailing yacht.

I'll have to do some checking on the "international" ports and how that would work.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
That sounds appealing... hey, where should we go today, honey?

I agree with Bleh... why do you feel that 2 are necessary?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
A 105' yacht is simply devine!! We have a 61' Hatteras motoryacht and have 2 dobies. The guys have been on the boat since they were puppies and they love it. We have life jackets obviously for them. You have to make a first aid kit for them, lots of toys to keep them active and stimulated, have their crates aboard, lots of food, treat, chewies, and other provisions needed. I carry vitamins and medicine for almost every problem. Don't forget heartworm and flea & tick pills. I don't know how young you want to start them, but don't forget, if you have their ears cropped, you'll need to see a vet. I'd wait until this was done and they had all their shots before attempting any longterm travel.
We have a place for them to eliminate while we are at sea and it did take a little while for them to accept another place to go besides the grass. A trick I tried was to buy artificial grass and put it on the deck (not a teak one!!). This helped them to realize that it was ok to do their business there. It is easy to rinse off. I have seen portable potties for sale in dog catalogs. People have even trained their pets to eliminate in the water. I wish you good luck and I am jealous of your traveling so far with the cost of diesel being what it is. We have really scaled down our itinery for this summer! May you have sunny days and the wind at your back!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My only recomendation would be to keep their vaccination and medical records in a notebook to have in case anybody asks to see them.

Every place Mensa and I have stayed on our trip this summer has said they require proof of rabies vaccination, but so far none have asked me to show it. BUT if anyone ever does, I'm ready.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts