Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack wanted up on the couch but I wouldn't let him (which happens sometimes), but he kept pushing it and ignored my 'off' when he had climbed up on top of me for a snuggle. I got a little upset and quickly pulled him off the couch by the collar...now he's hiding in the corner and has he tail tucked too (his tail is never down there!)

Did I just hurt my dog's feelings? When I go over and see him he slowly gives me a paw...it's weird. Now I just want him on the couch!

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Quite possibly....

I have a good friend with Giant Schnauzers, and like Dobes, giants just wanna be in your face/lap cuddling all the time... Unfortunately for them they have long beards that trap large quantities of water, so every time they try to climb into my lap I push them away, they make verrry sad faces, try a little harder, then eventually give up and sulk in the corner! Poor babies! If only they stopped getting their beards wet!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no. Well, do they get over it? I've never been here before. I love Jack up in my face, even on the couch, but he wasn't listening to me so obviously off he goes.

It's like he's sulking. And the tail...I just wanna tell him "you know, if you leave your tail down there, it will stay like that!"

How should this be handled?

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Dobermans = BIG babies

The epitome of sensitive and pushy all at once. Most people don't get it until they see it. :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Dobes are sensitive breeds, and mine sure knows how to sulk!

Why not redirect him next time? When he climbs on the couch, say 'no', gently pull him off and make him lay down on his dog bed. You can also offer him a toy to play with, or a treat dispenser to keep him occupied.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have found Dobermans have the most "humanistic" personalities of any dog. The paw thing is killing me. I can just pickture it! He will be fine. I always try to think.... what is the dog thinking about this. He probably feels... "why wouldn't someone want me on their lap? I am so cute and cuddly." Dogs have no idea what a couch is. HAHAHA poor guy! Too funny.

Lisa

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, they are really smart and sensitive dogs, so sooner or later it's going to happen. Give him time to sulk and then I would act totally normal when he snaps out of it. Give him lots of love and he'll figure out that you still like him :)

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I can't believe he's still sitting over there...
I'm not a fan of a sulking dog so I would try to redirect him from his pity-party. I would call him to me and ask him to perform some commands for me so I could reward him for desired behavior.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My girl gets her feelings hurt quite easily... Especially when she gets something new! If she gets a new bone/toy/learns a trick etc. she has to show you, and damn, you better tell her how cool/pretty/awesome/etc. her new xxxxxx is lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
99% of the time my girl is just the opposite... Not overly sensitive but very pushy. If she doesn't get her way she's up in your face voicing her disgust. It is comical at times and downright ridiculous when your trying to get something accomplished. She plays the game very well!

Edit: I too redirect and do a quick training session and all is well.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds like you just scared him to me.

On one hand he has to know you mean business, if you ask him to do something.

On the other hand, you probably don't want your doggy to feel threatened by you, so definitely don't let him act like that for too long.

Normally, when something like the couch thing happens and my boy won't listen, I'll try a deeper tone first, if that doesn't work, I'll stand up and posture. If that still doesn't work, I'll simply go to him, pick him up and place him on the floor.

Sometimes the deeper tone and posturing make him scared...head down, ears laid back, very sad looking eyes...so I'll try to remember to just go over and pick him up and place him on the ground, with an accompanying command. That way there is no scaring him and he is usually still himself afterwards.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oliver is very pushy and demanding at times and when we tell him no, he throws himself down and kind of a growl + whine, with his legs clawing the floor. He looks like a 2 yr old toddler in a store that has just been told no. I want to laugh, but I don't, just redirect.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Well he's probably super smart and knows he can play you. Now go take him for a ride in the car and buy him every toy he wants at Petco. Don't forget to pick up doggie movies on the way home and a good raw bone. Get his mind off feeling sad and sorry for himself.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Okay, ummm dogs aren't people. Your dog was getting pushy and not listening, nothing wrong at all with pulling your dog off the couch. Ignore HIM, you are making it worse by looking at him with concern. Be confident, let him sulk, he knows you are serious. I don't understand being worried about it. Eli is a very, very pushy dog who is also sensitive. I find consistancy works better than anything. For example if he wants on the couch when I'm there I must invite him. If I don't want him on the couch and he is sitting in front of me staring I'll tell him to go to his place which is his dog bed by the couch. It took over a year of consistant putting him back on his bed but he eventually got it, when I say place, he goes to place. I had to teach him first of course with treats etc. Eli can be the most stubborn dog I've ever had so training him to listen has been a real trip. He is very good now but when he was 1 1/2 I was often in despair. Eli at this point always gives that very sad dejected, tail down look when I make him do something he doesn't want to do, like hey, get off the couch. LOL.

I guess what I am trying to say is basically if the dog doesn't listen, don't feel badly that you had to be more proactive. You didn't hit him, you just pulled him off the couch. Goodness, not really a big deal. He sure has your number. LOL LOL LOL. I am editing to add there are times Eli needs to know I mean business and if he is a bit threatened so be it. I think he and I are extremely bonded at this point, he is the best but if I say wait he better wait.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yes, Kyrah does this. When we fuss at her and believe me its normally no more than "hey! Stop that, you know your not suppose to do that!" the tone is different as we are upset. I think it may be the energy we give off also. B/c its definately not yelling. She goes off to her dog pillow to sulk. She will lay there with her head down. After a while depending...maybe 15-30mins. She will in slow motion get up walking as if she is in slow motion with her head held low to the couch to lay there. This is one time she doesnt follow me around as much. I go from living room to kitchen to living room to bedroom to livingroom. Dont ask why its just real hard to sit in one spot for long until I am down for the evening. So on one of my trips she will follow me slowly. I tell her "whats up? Are we making up? Come here and give me some love." She comes over to get a rub and pat on the side. Then I say something like lets go outside or come on lets go in the back. Then everythings fine. She does this to my husband also. First time she did it to hubby he was in shock. He has never seen a dog do this. He felt bad and I told him to just act like nothing was going on. Then to later just call her to come and give her a pat to let her know everything was ok. After he pet her she was fine. She is so sensitive!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts