Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few months or so (hot and cooler temps) my 2 dobes have started digging small holes in our yard. None are too big but they are also eating the dirt mostly everyday. They aren't digging to "dig" but to eat.

It started happening when we switched their food to TOTW. Ive had them of TOTW salmon for a year now. I switched from BB because it gave them too much gas. Even TOTW bison gives gas to them. Ive had 4 dobes in 15 years and 80% of those years mine were on Eukanuba. Until I read on here regarding the qualities of foods.

Anyway, is it possible that the TOTW is lacking something that they are needing and therefore they feel the need to eat the dirt? OR are they just digging to dig?

My backyard looks like the practice range on a golf course with divot size holes all over it. Lol.

Eukanuba = no gas no digging
BB = Bad gas no digging
TOTW Bison = Gas no digging
TOTW Salmon = no gas and eating dirt

Thanks for the help?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Over the last few months or so (hot and cooler temps) my 2 dobes have started digging small holes in our yard. None are too big but they are also eating the dirt mostly everyday. They aren't digging to "dig" but to eat.
Do either of them flank suck by chance? Dirt eating can be a sign of PICA. I have a Dobe that doesn't dig per se but rips big chunks of grass up to eat the dirt. She's know in a kennel run without access to it because it was getting dangerous.

Flank sucking can be related to PICA and both are becoming more and more common in our breed.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I wonder about it being boredom...I can see that being the problem, but I wonder about the dirt eating and the question of a mineral deficiency. I might not wonder so much if I hadn't fed that particular food to Parker and found it to be woefully lacking for him.

If your dogs switch foods easily, I would try another food like Acana Pacifica or one of the Acana lines to see if the digging stopped, just out of curiosity. It is a better food anyway, more expensive, but a much, much better food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts