Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Q loves to wrestle. He instigates it - sitting on the couch, then suddenly he'll poke me, roll over and kick me with that challenge open mouth dare ya look.... then it starts and we end up on the floor and the match is on.

people-dog legs/arms flying around.. noises... grunts.... me yelling... laughing (laughing always gets him madder)....

usually ends with me on my back, arm in his mouth, my glasses smooshed all over my face (thankfully I got those bendy frame glasses - but I never remember to just take them off)... and he's on top, clearly the winner..

just thinking.. shouldn't I win sometimes? just to send the message that hey, I'm the boss... :idea:

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I don't think it's an issue myself. And IF I had a dog I felt that needed me to win sometimes, it would NOT be a dog I'd wrestle with, etc. We play bitey games with Flirt all the time.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Really? It's news to you that Quincy's in charge? Really? ;)

I see no point in confusing Quincy by attempting to get on top. He knows his position, and I'm sure you, in your heart, do, too.

DH and Gracie play rough, too. She loves it and will instigate if she even thinks he might join in. Sometimes inconvenient, as he's not always dressed for dog play.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I see no point in confusing Quincy by attempting to get on top. He knows his position, and I'm sure you, in your heart, do, too.

DH and Gracie play rough, too. She loves it and will instigate if she even thinks he might join in. Sometimes inconvenient, as he's not always dressed for dog play.
Good point. I know my place. I'm happy there. :)

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Zeus tries to wrestle occasionally but his mouth/teeth or far too large for him to not actually inflict damage. Even when he tries to be gentle, he is just too LARGE! I have one scab just now healing from 3 weeks ago where he just barely got me with the corners of his canines, and another bruise on my butt.

He sooo doesn't want to hurt me and even if I make the slightest hurt sound he'll shut down and start licking me in the face, but the poor guy is just too darn big to be able to wrestle without arm sleeves. Even my 220lb bf thinks he hurts too bad to play with.

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
Atlas doesn't like it when I get into it. If hes froggy (initiating) and doing play bows, 9 times out of 10 as soon as I get on the floor and start swatting/grabbing at him hell back away and go. I don't think I'm too agressive.

I wanna wrestle but he kinda doesn't :(

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Ammo is VERY talkative and vocal when he wants to play wrestle :) Its usually right before bed and we end up having pillow fight (or me beating the hell out of him with feather pillows!) he gets mouthy on the wrists and arm but is usually really gentle with it, its too cute.

Reactions: dobermansrule

·
Registered
370 Posts
Oh yeah, wrestling is almost a daily sport around my place. :D But my girl gets really wound up and usually ends up with me grabbing my throbbing funny bone and rolling around on the floor going... OH MY GAWD, OOWWWWW with occasional bloody scratches :p

But once she realizes I really am not dying, game on again and we both dive right back in.;)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
When our son was 4 y/o, the wife taught him checkers.
Son would get so happy, when he had a double or triple takeout...not knowing Mom had set it all up...she could never get a win...lol.
Fast forward to XMas time with my parents, and son played 1 game of checkers with grandma / who took great pleasure in beating him.
Did not go over well, last game he ever played with her.

If you can wrestle, know one gets hurt and the dobe always wins...great / game does not need to esculate, out of control.
- keep it fun (and a confidence booster), dogs don't like to loose ever...your still building bond & respect
Dog know you control the outcome of the game anyway...and happy to have a most fun owner, that doesn't take away the good times.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Fiona and I wrestle often - it's never clear who "wins" but I'm always the one calling for a break. LOL Fiona and boyfriend wrestle often but he's a big guy and he just picks her up to end the game. It's kinda like turning a shark over, belly exposed - they're wrestling, Fiona is going crazy, he picks her up, and...*ta-da!!* nothing! She just hangs there looking around like she's never been more relaxed (until he sets her back down and then it's a mad case of the zoomies - everybody mind your knees and watch out for 75-lbs of bouncing Doberman!). Basically, Fiona will wrestle with just about anyone she knows and likes and she's very respectful so I don't ever worry about who starts or ends it.

Tali doesn't wrestle. The few times I've tried to wrestle with her, she sits down and looks confused/bewildered, if not maybe a little sad like she may be in trouble. So I think if I were ever able to get Tali to wrestle, I'd let her win just to encourage the point that it's a fun game and she's okay to enjoy herself.

I agree with Adara - if I had a dog I were concerned about me needing to dominate in "games", I just wouldn't tempt them with rough play that could potentially turn dangerous. Sounds like you and Q have a good play system worked out though. :)

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Well, me and Jones wrestle, and I always win... He likes to wrestle, but if he gets rough and I say ouch or something he completely shuts down :( which is good and bad...

But I think he lets me win, because some mornings I wake up with him standing over me, with the look on his face like... I WIN!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,481 Posts

I see no point in confusing Quincy by attempting to get on top. He knows his position, and I'm sure you, in your heart, do, too.....
Reassurance for DR, from a dog behavior website about the features of play:

"Frequent Role Reversal - dominant dogs act submissive to signal non-threatening play"

If you repeat that often enough, maybe it'll be true.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Elza and I love wresting:) The interesting thing is she plays wresting only with me. Of course not with our guests like my parents. I feel it's privilege as an owner!
She sometimes goes a bit far excitement opening her mouth BUT has never bit me. What a smart breed! If her teeth touch my hand, I go bossy to understand her that's not nice. Overall it's an intimate time between us.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Well, me and Jones wrestle, and I always win... He likes to wrestle, but if he gets rough and I say ouch or something he completely shuts down :( which is good and bad...

But I think he lets me win, because some mornings I wake up with him standing over me, with the look on his face like... I WIN![/QUOTE]

I imagined this! Funny!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts