Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would say that 99% of the time, Gunner is an extremely friendly dog. We go to the park with the kids at least once a day (sometimes twice now that school is out), and he is always extremely popular with other children. He sits quietly and wags his nub while people form a line to pet him. I have never seen anything negative towards anyone. Well, a few days ago our dryer completely stopped working. We called a repair company and they sent out a repair man. I crated Gunner as I always do when a stranger is in the house. Usually he would just lay down and take a nap. Not this time! This older man comes in and Gunner went nuts. He barked and even growled a little bit. I told him to lay down which he did, but he kept an eye on this man while he worked and I could tell he did not like him one bit. He never would relax while the man was in the house. To be honest, I didn't like the man either. He was very unfriendly and asked me really dumb questions. He also didn't have a CLUE what he was doing. He basically looked at the dryer, scratched his head, and said he would come back later. He also tracked in black grease all over my carpets.
As soon as the man left, Gunner calmed down and was fine. The man came back later that night, and again Gunner went completely nuts. The man did a few things and concluded the dryer was broken beyond repair and left. I needed to do a load of laundry anyways and was just going to hang the clothes up outside to dry until I could get a new dryer, so I started the washing machine. A little bit later, I heard what sounded like a waterfall in the laundry closet. I ran in and the idiot repair man had disconnected the drain hose in the washer and hadn't put it back. Long story shorter.....we had a water extraction team here until 1:00 AM that night to drain the flooded bathroom and the repair company had to pay for it. The manager told me they had lots of problems with this new guy and they would take care of it. Soooo....was Gunner a great judge of a bad character or was he picking up on my anxiety about having this man in the house who made me uneasy?

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Maybe a bit of both? Because you were uncomfortable eith the guy, Gunner decided he didn't like him, either?

By the way, what's wrong with the dryer? No heat, drum won't turn, or something else?

Reactions: OliviaB

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe a bit of both? Because you were uncomfortable eith the guy, Gunner decided he didn't like him, either?

By the way, what's wrong with the dryer? No heat, drum won't turn, or something else?
It has power, but won't go. It sounds like a humming sound when I turn it on but won't spin or anything. Genius repair man thinks the motor is bad, but I'm going to get another opinion before I toss it out completely.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good job Gunner! I agree with everyone, probably a bit of both.

Definitely get a second opinion, by the sounds of it this guy was a real wing nut! No warranty on the dryer I guess?

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
If it has heat, but the drum won't turn, it could just need a new belt, not a motor. I've replaced a belt before, and, while a bit time consuming, it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would imagine it is a bit of both as well, good job Gunner :)

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
not necessarily a new motor but new brushes on the current motor...its possibly that removing the ones in their and blowing the dust out of it and reinstalling them will get it going again....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts