Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a pup who's sire is a product of Britton Farms, (grandparents of pup: Zeus Neven de Britton xXx Cleopatra di Altobello de Britton) on the dad's side. The mother of the pup is outstandingly bred however, with a lot of top euro dogs behind her (Oskamit dGV, Oscar Z Padoku, Tahi-Reme Max, etc...).

Would it be a terrible decision to bring him home??? Looking for some insight....

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
21,997 Posts
To me, a puppy is more than simply a pedigree. Why would the breeder choose that sire? What were they hoping to achieve with the breeding? If the mother is outstanding, why not choose an outstanding sire for her? I'd be wanting to know what traits in this particular sire compliments the bitch, and, in turn, what in the bitch compliments the sire? I'd be looking at a breeder that is trying to breed two dogs that improve each other. Simply having "top" dogs in the pedigree doesn't mean the two dogs being bred are a good pair (maybe they are, maybe they aren't...I can't say). I'd also be looking at the health and longevity in the pedigree - how long did those dogs live, and what health issues did they have? What were their temperaments like?

Additionally, I'd be asking myself (and the breeder) questions about how puppies are raised, what types of socialization and early enrichment they get. The experiences a puppy has prior to the age they come home with you (before 8-12 weeks) are truly critical to their adult temperament, how they learn, their resilience, etc.

So, for me, it's much more than that one question about one dog, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
That's a hard nope from me.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
My first Doberman Rescue came from Britton Farms.
Mafia! Loved the dog so much but so many problem areas from a very young age.
My vet always noted his eyes were always squinted not real clear.
Always seems to be day dreaming at a young age.
Spinal issues (neck) at 1 year.
Had Thryoid condition at 1 year of age.
Bad hips at 5 years.

Very high prey drive.
High volume breeder!
Big NOPE NOPE NOPE!

·
Super Moderator
21,997 Posts
I'm sure everyone here would be more than happy to help you find a great breeder, if you'd like our help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am considering a pup who's sire is a product of Britton Farms, (grandparents of pup: Zeus Neven de Britton xXx Cleopatra di Altobello de Britton) on the dad's side. The mother of the pup is outstandingly bred however, with a lot of top euro dogs behind her (Oskamit dGV, Oscar Z Padoku, Tahi-Reme Max, etc...).

Would it be a terrible decision to bring him home??? Looking for some insight....

Thank you
Run away from this breeding FAST. Altobello is known for breeding Dobes that drop dead from DCM at less than 5 years old. This is a notorious puppy mill with no titles and no health testing.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thank you
I know these comments are late but I pray you did not purchase a pup from Travis Britton. His dogs are not quality. No health testing at all. He says they are but won’t produce results. I just lost my third one from him. Two dropped over dead at 5 yrs young and one died with lymphoma at 5. Do more research. You will fine many many broken hearts from this man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts