Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a 6mo dobergirl at the local university vet with an extremely rare, and quite odd, skin condition. We were contacted about using Mac as part of the study they are writing up on her. All they needed was a female dobe puppy and a urine sample for comparison. (two puppies, actually the other is part of our rescue group as well). Of course, happy to help.

Now it turns out we have to switch her diet to Science Diet so they are all on the same food. Sigh. I don't want to feed her that! I don't know for how long. Kinda bummed.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
There is a 6mo dobergirl at the local university vet with an extremely rare, and quite odd, skin condition. We were contacted about using Mac as part of the study they are writing up on her. All they needed was a female dobe puppy and a urine sample for comparison. (two puppies, actually the other is part of our rescue group as well). Of course, happy to help.

Now it turns out we have to switch her diet to Science Diet so they are all on the same food. Sigh. I don't want to feed her that! I don't know for how long. Kinda bummed.
Personally I think the vet is being a bit cheeky to ask you to change your dogs diet. I understand they need to do comparisons etc but in my opinion they should have been up front in their requirements because if you decided to not do as they request the first part of their study is of no use.

Of course if you do change over, the question arises are they going to pay for the food and for how long are they expecting you to feed it?

Toby doesn't like Science Diet in fact none of my dogs have ever liked it. Which leads me to question, what if your dog doesnt either, what do they propose they/you do then?

I am so sorry by the way this poor girl has this skin problem, I do hope they can help/cure her whether or not you decide to help.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
IMO they should switch to your food. I wouldnt change my dogs diet. You never know you may have issues that arise with your dog. Are they going to pay for that well, regardless if they would or not. I just wouldnt want it to happen anyway.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not worried about cost, pretty sure it's cheaper than what we feed. :D

Originally it was stated that she needed to be on a fish based food, which she is. We feed AvoDerm which is what Leo does best on. He's sensitive to anything with grain.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
No, I wouldnt change my dog from a good quality food to a lower quality food. They should feed their dog your food or both of you should agree on a quality food. I dont get how they think they are doing the best for this dog feeding her crap. I wouldnt want them to be treating my dog for a skin condition as important as nutrltion is to the health of skin!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I wouldnt change my dog from a good quality food to a lower quality food. They should feed their dog your food or both of you should agree on a quality food. I dont get how they think they are doing the best for this dog feeding her crap. I wouldnt want them to be treating my dog for a skin condition as important as nutrltion is to the health of skin!
I was kinda shocked about that too, considering this is a well respected vet school. I think Hill's donates pretty substantially. My best guess.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I must agree with Herb2relax and LindaH; if it were me, I would tell the vet that I am not going to put my own dog's health at risk by switching his diet.

I would tell the vet they should switch their dog to the formula I was feeding.

Reactions: Audrey1

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Not a fan of SD; maybe if it is for a VERY short period, (and take care of any expenses that may arise from this transition ie diarrhea) but I would request them change the diet to what I was feeding before even really considering the food trial/change.

and Thanks for (potentially) contributing to the research, I know it is appreciated :)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
THIS.

Absolutely ludicrous that they are treating an animal with a skin condition, while pouring pure crap down her gullet.

Whisper actually developed a skin condition while she was hospitalized at Virginia Tech. What were they feeding her, against my wishes and my understanding? Yup. Science Diet.

No way I'd switch my dog, would resign from the study, first.

·
Train, don't complain
59 Posts
Absolutely ludicrous that they are treating an animal with a skin condition, while pouring pure crap down her gullet.
I dont get how they think they are doing the best for this dog feeding her crap. I wouldnt want them to be treating my dog for a skin condition as important as nutrltion is to the health of skin!
I completely agree.
While I don't doubt that this dog's "extremely rare" skin condition may require prescription medication and additional veterinary care, many times there is a drastic difference in a dog's skin and coat condition when they are simply switched from a lower quality food to a high quality food with high quality ingredients (in other words... not Science Diet...).

They aren't doing this dog any favors or improving her odds of recovery by feeding her a semi nutritious food filled with low quality fillers.

I commend you for wanting to help out, and I really do hope they find some answers to help the dobergirl in their study.
I say participate if they are willing to transition the dog in the study to what you are feeding.
Worst case scenario? They won't, but then they can find someone who is already feeding their female doberman Science Diet and collect a blood sample from that dog instead.

Your girl comes first.

Reactions: monicaei

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Nope. Not ever. I agree that if they need to be on the same diet they either switch to yours or you agree on a food. If not I'd back out. I would never feed Science Diet to a dog. Not in 1000000 million years.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Allot of vets feed Science diet I still think they get a kick back for selling it in there offices. I do not see how Science diet can be a good food since it has fillers in it, corn,wheat most things dogs can be allergic too.????

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Wonder if diet could be part of this girls problem? Couldn't be helping, that's for sure. Wouldn't it be a trip of they got that girl of crap and her mystery illness all the sudden was cured?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Science diet gives out all kinds of scholarships to vet schools and they also donate all the food to many shelters and Humane Societies. I don't feed it to my guys, and I wouldn't switch to it for a study!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Eww. Science diet? No way. that stuff is garbage. I agree with everyone else. why can't they change THEIR dogs diet? I love ALL dogs... but my dogs health comes first. Especially if your dog is grain sensative. Nope. *shakes head* I would not agree to help if it could negativly effect my dog.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts