Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
665 Posts
Quick question since I've always wondered this about cropping...till what age is it okay to do it till? Some people say a year, others don't know and since I'm hanging out with so many wonderful, dobe pros here I thought I'd ask.

· Registered
665 Posts
Thanks everyone. I know many vets in or around New England stand against it these days and charge outrageous amounts to do it simply because they feel as if it a very painful procedure. Cropped or not cropped, I love the breed regardless of it.

· Registered
665 Posts
morrmar said:
While I see a practical reason for docking the tail, I can't say the same for cropping ears. If you've ever seen how long an undocked dobe's tail is, you know that it can clear a coffee table with one swipe.

Ears on the other hand are more a cosmetic/vanity thing than anything else, at least imo.
One thing that *is* a plus for cropping a dog's ears (whether it be pitbull, boxer, dobe...you name it) is simply for cleaner ears-any dog with large, droppy ears are constantly suceptible to yeast infections as well as other bacterial infections in their ears. Cropping, however, drastically reduces the problem to be minimal.

· Registered
665 Posts
waiting said:
The one thing I have found with the ears not being cropped is that the non knowledgeable public in reference to Dobermans are less intimidated with the ears not done. People have expressed to me they think it gives them a softer look and less intimidating. Not that I care in terms of what they think, but just to add an interesting point that I have definitely been hearing. Has anyone else been running into this mentality with the ears been left alone. They think the ears makes the difference in being good doggy or vicious. :)
It's sad but it's the typical ignorance of society...same goes with pits and boxers. If they have uncropped ears, people aren't as scared of them. I've always wondered why too, but it's such a common thing that we all see day to day.

· Registered
665 Posts
MIA said:
ROFL Most people don't know my dog is a Doberman because she's red so really what do I care either way? What I care about is that she is trained and will protect me regardless of her ears/tail. I had a GSD/Belgin before that looked like a teddy bear, she was totally protection trained and would attack given my command! To look at her you would all want to simply hug her, regardless of time of day!

Looks mean nothing at the end of the day, for me temperment/training is No.1 :boldblue:
Amen Mia! Amen.

· Registered
665 Posts
BackInBlack said:
I do the same with Rommel, I clean out everything with a q-tip, it doesnt seem clean if I dont. :) Just curious, but do you think that the GSD ear infections has to do with the amount of fur in the ear?

Wouldn't it be opposite? I would think any dog with fur in it's ear would be LESS suceptible to potential infections considering the fur, just like eyelashes are suppose to keep dirt away from the eye???
My poms have erect ears and never have infections, I think my largest had one once but that was it. Maybe (like kim said) it's due to the fact that they are on a strict, hollistic food regimen and not crap food, but they all come from poor breeding backgrounds, that's for sure since they're all from pet stores or BYB's (rescues)

· Registered
665 Posts
doberkim said:
truth be told most of my dobes will be rescues, and i wont have much of a say in the issue - the right one that fits into my life is the right one, irregardless of looks! i of course have preferences, but cant ignore fate.

Kim, what you said couldn't of been better said! I have preferences too...I'd LOVE a red, cropped dobe but as fate might have it I will be adopting a natural eared black and tan. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.