Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
880 Posts
I personally wouldn't care. For me the biggest attraction of the breed is their intelligence and personality. My other choice of a breed would have been a GSD, and even if undocked/uncropped I would still pick the dobe over that because of their easy to care for coat.

I would immagine these bans might have a negative effect on the breed's use as guard/working dogs. It's hard enough for people to find good quality working dobermans. Making them houndy looking I think will make it that much more difficult for working people to choose them as they do need their dog to look some what scary to the bad guys. The ears and the tail make a big difference to some people's perception of what they're looking at.

· Registered
880 Posts
LapDog said:
I love the look of cropped and docked...but it they were natural I still love em and have dobes :) I keep repeating myself but I feel I need to every time I add something to what I was saying lol.

I think they should ban Circumcisions on humans and especially babies then! :)lol

yeah! no kidding! or how about going after puppy millers and people who cause serious and intended harm to animals! I think these bans are a load of political bs!

· Registered
880 Posts
and, you're assuming the mugler is dog savvy and would recognize the dobe up close for what it is just uncropped :p

I've had both cropped and uncropped dobes out in public, and the general public out there, no doubt about it two completely opposite reactions! With the cropped I literally had people crossing the street to the other side walk, people refusing to get in the elevator with us, one guy in the condo literally jumped and screamed and tucked himself up against the wall (I am not exagurating!). There were the odd few who would say, oh I love dobermans can I say hi to him, but the over whelming reaction was fear and distrust.

When I had the uncropped dobe with me, while some people would still be fearful (some people are afraid of big dogs regardless of what it is), it wasn't the same sort of reaction. Some people would start up conversations, oh what a pretty dog, she listens so well, what is she? Not too many people knew she was a dobe. When I told them, some would just say oh really?, some would say oh.. and stop petting her :)

Don't underestimate the lack of dog knowledge in the general public. You might look at an uncropped dobe and think, duuuh, ofcourse it's a dobe! Other people just see a large houndy looking mutt.

· Registered
880 Posts
doberkim said:
i think youve made yourself clear what you think about the breed and i dont think theres a single person on this board that thinks you are fit to own one.

that being said, i used to think i wouldnt own one with a tail, but 2 of my three dobes have been natural eared and i prefer it in many ways. this is my first dobe iwth dew claws and he uses them CONSTANTLY, so in the future i wouldnt necessarily remove them if they had them.

so now, id have to say - yes, if a dog came to me with a tail, i would definitely keep the tail unless it hurt it in some way.

=kim (whose natural eared doberman was more of a danger to people that pretty much any cropped dog on this board - they are ears, not weapons).

Kim, I'm curious, how does your dobe use his dew claws?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.