Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,942 Posts
Zucker said:
The ears and the tail make a big difference to some people's perception of what they're looking at.
dobebug said:
I'd really have to think long and hard about an undocked Dobe--I could probably adjust to ears.
I agree, I love the cropped and docked look. I grew up with c/d Dobes and own c/d Dobes today. I could adjust to the natural ears and docked tail, but I don't care for the totally natural look.

· Registered
3,942 Posts
dalefuller said:
We're very sympathetic to the bans on unnecessary surgery (i.e. docking/cropping) and hope to see them enacted in the US eventually.
Yes, these procedures are mostly cosmetic.

But respectfully, it bothers me you hope no one can crop/dock Dobermans in the US soon.

Out of curiosity, have you ever seen a Doberman litter after cropping or docking and watched their reactions shortly afterwards? How many cropped Dobermans have you posted ears or helped with aftercare on to see just how much it bothers them?

I don’t mind the natural ears; I think they look very nice on some Dobermans.
But my experience is people who don't support the right to choose cropped and docked have no experience with cropping and docking, not enough to make an informed decision, they just think it is cruel and not needed. Just wondering how you arrived upon your particular view point to where you support the choice being taken away from responsible Doberman owners in the United States.

Jut curious, do you think spaying and neutering are "necessary"? A spay, while routine, is pretty invasive. But it is also done at a veterinary office, under anesthesia, with modern equipment and pain medication. The only difference is it is not mostly cosmetic (as ear cropping is).

Reactions: Feverhaus

· Registered
3,942 Posts
doberkim said:
truth be told most of my dobes will be rescues, and i wont have much of a say in the issue - the right one that fits into my life is the right one, irregardless of looks! i of course have preferences, but cant ignore fate.
I agree, you can't ignore fate =) Your boy is just great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.