Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I've been searching for a pup, and there don't seem to be any breeders with available litters in my area. I found this website Purebredbreeders.com that send the puppy to you from anywhere in the country. The company provides a lifetime health guarantee for the puppy, and the breeders promise the following: "Her parents are VWD clear, have no z-factor pedigrees, and have excellent temperaments with excellent cardio, hips, eyes and a drive to please."

My ideal situation would be to be able to interact with all of the puppies and base my decision on that, but unfortunately that is not possible.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Would you buy a puppy without first meeting her?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated! I could really use the advice

-Sarah:)

· Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Hello all!
I've been searching for a pup, and there don't seem to be any breeders with available litters in my area. I found this website Purebredbreeders.com that send the puppy to you from anywhere in the country. The company provides a lifetime health guarantee for the puppy, and the breeders promise the following: "Her parents are VWD clear, have no z-factor pedigrees, and have excellent temperaments with excellent cardio, hips, eyes and a drive to please."

My ideal situation would be to be able to interact with all of the puppies and base my decision on that, but unfortunately that is not possible.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Would you buy a puppy without first meeting her?

How do say don't go there? Let me count the ways......

· Registered
57 Posts
I would definitely not buy a puppy online. It's important to meet the breeder in person so that you can see where the puppies are raised and under what conditions. Most importantly, it's key for you to get copies of all of the pertinent health tests for the sire and dam.
I think there are exceptions to this - I bought my Schatzy from a breeder in FL - we spent hours on the telephone with me prior to her litter even being born, she sent tons of photos and even videos of the puppies - I did a vet reference check on the breeder too. I also called 3 of the 10 references provided by the breeder before making my decision. I also checked health testing results in the OFA data base to ensure what she said is what was in the data base.

So, I guess in my experience, I was able to have enough interaction before, during and after purchase that I would not hesitate to buy a puppy again, without seeing the parents and breeder in person, if all the stuff up front checked out. I still get emails from the breeder checking in on me and schatzy.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The conditions are said to be "raised indoors underfoot with children and socialized from day one." I guess I don't know how much I can really trust that...

Also, from the looks of it this company is kind of the middle man between myself and the breeder. My dealings are through them alone.

But at the same time, the puppy comes with a health guarantee, and I am in the process of requesting health records from the parents.

Hmmm...

· Registered
609 Posts
Simple answer no, Long answer NO. I got my pup from a breeder over 3 hours away, We drove there 3 times to hang out with the puppies/breeder before we picked our boy up. One suggestion why not WAIT until a reputable breeder nearby is having a litter. Good luck in your search!

· of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
What kind of health guarantee? A "pup healthy on arrival " or 1 year guarantee really isn't what you want at all.

I wouldn't buy a dog from anyone who wasn't the breeder themself. Nor do I want anyone who deals in lots of different breeds of dogs. Honestly, I'd say scrap this site and look for a doberman breeder who titles and health-tests their stock. Then talk to them about pick-up vs. shipment options.

There's a great guide on what to look for in a breeder here:
Buying A Doberman Pinscher

And then the list in this thread: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/14184-recommended-breeders.html and the DPCA site are good places to start your search.

Best of luck to you and your future dobe!

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hello all!

I WOULD NOT buy a puppy from anyplace like purebredbreeders.com-I don't believe you're going to find that kind of deal attracts the breeders who truly are the cream of the crop.

I WOULD buy a puppy without first meeting her if I knew for a fact the breeder was reputable and responsible. A good, experienced breeder is very skilled at matching puppies and new owners, to get the most compatible "fit"-they're generally much better at doing that than the puppy buyers.

· Registered
351 Posts
Can I say Puppy Mill??? Pups you buy from pet stores also come with health guarentee's and tell you the parents are health tested. I would say a big NO.

It's not always possible to go and choose your own puppy either. Some breeders have waiting lists and may already have a dog picked for you. You need to at least speak with the actual breeder and research and get refrences for them.

· Registered
1,804 Posts
Chica2048, where in Long Island are you? There are a number of ethical and reputable breeders, working and show lines, in the Tri-State area. The Long Isand Doberman Pinscher Association
is hosting an event on April 9 at the Old Bethpage Restoration Village. My suggestion to you is to attend a few shows to decide what you are looking for in a pup and talk to breeders.

Please, do your research!

The fact is though, this will take some time and you may be placed on a waiting list. But have faith - good things come to those who wait and have patience!

· Registered
344 Posts
The conditions are said to be "raised indoors underfoot with children and socialized from day one." I guess I don't know how much I can really trust that...

Also, from the looks of it this company is kind of the middle man between myself and the breeder. My dealings are through them alone.

But at the same time, the puppy comes with a health guarantee, and I am in the process of requesting health records from the parents.

Hmmm...[/

You are talking about buying a puppy from a puppy broker. There is a huge difference between buying a puppy from a well respected ethical breeder without meeting the breeder and/or puppy first and buying from a puppy broker. I think a better way to phrase your question is :"Would you buy from a Doberman puppy from a puppy broker?" rather than your original question. I guarantee you will not get anyone on this board who would support that type of sale.

· Registered
57 Posts
It's situations like this that make me wish there was an "Angie's List" for dog breeders. I'm always super paranoid that the references they give me are just friends they've registered their dogs names in or something like that. I'm not trusting at all. But yeah... it's possible to buy a puppy without seeing it first, but that's the exception, not the rule. We did that with Juno, we got vet records, health testing and references before driving 4 hours to pick her up. We made sure we inspected the property, saw the living conditions, the parents, etc. and if any of it made us unhappy, we'd have called it a day and just had a nice day trip. We were satisfied with what we saw and brought Juno home. But we were fully prepared for that not to be the case. I guess the biggest advice I have is have patience and an open mind with every puppy you fall in love with. Take the time to make sure you get your perfect puppy. We'd talked about a second dobie for years before finding Juno, and she's my perfect baby, I'm very pleased with her.

· Registered
57 Posts
Um yeaaah... just looked at that website and I'd advise against it. Disclaimer- I know nothing about puppy brokers because I've never used one but their prices are insane and I have a feeling you'd be paying show/champion lines for a BYB. You don't always get what you pay for. Nothing against the higher prices but if you're going to pay close to 2K for a puppy, good to make sure it's coming from great lines and reputable breeders. Some of the descriptions are just a joke. A puppy listed for almost $1800 carries this description:

"Look at me! I am going to be the best dog you have ever had! We are going to have so much fun together. My Mommy and Daddy are both smart and loyal companions. I am already learning to be just like them! I have been raised inside a house full of love, with adults and small children. I have plenty of love and puppy kisses to share. Hurry, don't wait! I will have good health, best manners, and love all packed up in my bag waiting patiently!"

Umm... nothing about health testing, show lines, nada. This just doesn't sound like the description of a show breeders. Screams BYB to me...

It's your puppy your choice, but it is so much harder to tell what you're getting on the internet and honestly, this just makes me nervous for you. If you are confident you can be diligent in your research on them and do as much "pre-work" as you can, go for it. But be careful!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.