Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy is four months, from what I have come to understand holters should start at two years of age?
My question is, would putting him on fish oil as a preventative be detrimental at this age?
I lost my first girl to dcm at eight years young, back then we knew no better and our vet left much to be desired. Ive been asking the veterinarians at the clinic he went to for his ears, however they arnt much of an aid.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks for this post! I think I might look into starting our girl now, if all it can do is help :)

Reactions: richie90

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Thanks guys, is there a preferred brand?
Mine is "Nature's Bounty" and there's no reason for that except it was what was in stock at the CVS store I happened to be in.

The capsules are pretty huge, though.

When these are gone, I think I'm going to get the bottled liquid version.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
He is not to young for fish oil. Another is Krill Oil.
Fish oil is good for the Heart and Coat.
All these are great for the Heart. We do 2000-2400 mg (depending on which mg we get) fish oil a day, 2 Vit E 400iu, CoQ10 200mg a day. Make sure there is NO SOY in them.

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
He is not to young for fish oil. Another is Krill Oil.
Fish oil is good for the Heart and Coat.
All these are great for the Heart. We do 2000-2400 mg (depending on which mg we get) fish oil a day, 2 Vit E 400iu, CoQ10 200mg a day. Make sure there is NO SOY in them.
Thanks!

Someone here once recommended borage oil and coconut oil, as well.

I give my dogs coconut oil on their food in the evening and it's really helped their coats.

[I originally started the coconut oil for its thyroidal benefits]

Do you use Ubquinone or Ubiquinol?

I use the latter.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I've always given it to my dogs, young and old. You'd also want to be sure to give a little vit e at least a couple times a week with the fish oil. I get human-grade fish oil capsules that already have a little E in it to make it easy on myself. Maybe start with smaller dose to be sure it doesn't upset his tummy.

Great for the skin and coat as well as the ticker! :)

·
memories
1,756 Posts
I’ve feed fish oil to my dogs, among other things, for years and what a difference it makes in their coats and overall condition. My girl Holly lived to almost 13 years!
I do have a question for everyone - Are fish oil capsules less likely to become rancid versus the bottled oil?

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
You know, I'm not sure. I would think so as there'd be less exposure to air and light but honestly have no clue.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
I use the Costco capsules and give 1000 mg twice a day to all of my dogs. I just put the whole capsule in their food and they eat it.

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
My dogs cardiologist and my cardiologist have told me the same thing about fish oil (well, not exactly the same thing but close). In people fish oil is recommended for people who actually have a heart condition--it can act as a preventive to keep things from getting worse. Prior to the existence of a actually cardio problem in humans fish oil won't do much.

The vet cardiologist says that's sort of the same thing in dogs. But in dogs it really helps with coat and skin health. He also said there really isn't a good reason for starting puppies on fish oils until they are around six months.

So I start my dogs on fish oil at around six months. I also use Costco's Kirkland brand--and make sure whatever kind you are using that unless you are using a liquid (which does oxidize faster--capsule will keep longer because no air is coming in contact with the oil until the dog eats them) that they aren't the ones that have an enteric coating. Dogs shorter GI tract will sometimes not dissolve them if they are enteric coated.

I just toss the capsules into their breakfast and dinner--they think they are treats--and they get 1,000 mg twice a day.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
If i were going to start a puppy on fish oil, I'd start *really* slowly-piercing one of the gelcaps and squeezing out maybe half of the oil at first. Then gradually build up to an entire gelcap at a time.

Someone asked about some people giving higher doses of fish oil...there's a maintenance dose (for all dogs), and a therapeutic dosage for dogs with medical problems. A healthy dog has no reason to take more than 2 capsules a day, IMO.

I just buy fish oil in the vitamin section at the market, human grade. And they get tossed into the food bowls.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts