Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well trinity had been scratching at her ear and i called the vet when it started and they said it was problem just fleas. well i gave her a bath and everything and it stopped for a little but she started back up and i just looked at her ear and theres a huge absesse (sp) on the inside of her ear. I felt it and can tell its full of fluid so i called the vet and told them they said to go ahead and pop it and come up and get some meds to put on it. So hopefully its just an infection or soemthing and nothing bad.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Lets hope it clears quickly,do keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Prettydobie said:
Well trinity had been scratching at her ear and i called the vet when it started and they said it was problem just fleas. well i gave her a bath and everything and it stopped for a little but she started back up and i just looked at her ear and theres a huge absesse (sp) on the inside of her ear. I felt it and can tell its full of fluid so i called the vet and told them they said to go ahead and pop it and come up and get some meds to put on it. So hopefully its just an infection or soemthing and nothing bad.
I can't believe the vet told you to pop it!

My Velma has a drain in her ear right now from a hematoma I had drained last week. It is the first time I have ever had a dog with one. While they are more common in natural earred dogs, cropped dogs can get them too.

I would have the vet look at it. The problem with a hematoma is that the fluid will build up again if you do not keep it draining.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok so they said they could do some test but the results wouldnt be back for at least a week. So i'm going to call around.

Ok so i called my bubba (not by blood just a really good friend) His grandmother use to breed and show great danes so we are going to take trinity over to her and see what she says and if she can helps either pop it and clean it and do whatever or point us in the direction of a better vet.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
That doesn't look like something that can just be popped - looks more like it needs to be lanced and I would seriously reconsider any vet that suggested you take a blade to your own dog. Tests won't be back for a week? I'd find another doc, PD.
Storm developed a hematoma the day after her crop, then she shook her head - my kitchen looked like texas chain saw massacre! Gross!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my bubbas dog has an appointment at another vet place tomorrow morning so we are going to take her in and see what they think it is. I have no money right now i dont get payed till next month so if it is bad enough i might have to give her up :(

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yikes, I'd definitely NOT pop that! I would find a new vet too if they were that casual to tell you to do that. It isn't going to be an invasive surgery PD, but it probably is going to need lanced as TJ said. Please keep us updated. I hope you can work something out, I'd hate to see you give her up over an apparent hemotoma.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yikes, I'd definitely NOT pop that! I would find a new vet too if they were that casual to tell you to do that.
No doubt. I think that is an irresponsible thing to say, especially not having seen it yet.

Is there another vet near you?

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Prettydobie said:
Well my bubbas dog has an appointment at another vet place tomorrow morning so we are going to take her in and see what they think it is. I have no money right now i dont get payed till next month so if it is bad enough i might have to give her up :(
huh? hematoma's are not a big deal. My vet charged me under $100 to lance it and put a drain in. The drain will stay in for 3 weeks. If it is not a big hematoma, you can leave it and see if it will clear up by itself. As long as it is not getting bigger....... however, it can heal funky and leave the ear deformed. I worked hard to have lovely standing ears so I wanted it taken care of.

If small issues like this can make you give up your dog, then you might want to consider if you can afford the dog at all. vet bills are a fact of life.

·
Registered
742 Posts
velmadobe said:
huh? hematoma's are not a big deal. My vet charged me under $100 to lance it and put a drain in. The drain will stay in for 3 weeks. If it is not a big hematoma, you can leave it and see if it will clear up by itself. As long as it is not getting bigger....... however, it can heal funky and leave the ear deformed. I worked hard to have lovely standing ears so I wanted it taken care of.

If small issues like this can make you give up your dog, then you might want to consider if you can afford the dog at all. vet bills are a fact of life.
The hematoma is the main reason Kings right ear wont stand anymore.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Rommel got a hematoma on his ear after he had them cropped, they said it was from him shaking his head. They drained it at the vets office, and put a stitch (or 2) in it, and it healed up fine, I cant even tell where it was. It does need to be taken care of, but from what I understand it is not a "major" thing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Alot of Vet's can work with you as far as a payment plan. Like Velmadobe said it shouldn't be a whole lot. I know to some people a little is alot but I am sure they will work something out with you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i'm not sure if trinity went to the vet. my bubba never came and picked me up from my friends house but he has a key to my house and my room so he might have taken her without picking me up. I'm going to call him later.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
huh? youre not sure?

·
Registered
68 Posts
My dog Sam, (who is not a dobe) has had one in each ear, three years apart, he was sedated for each one but they were large. I went with having them removed to avoid cauliflower ears, he now has two floppy ears. Wasn't too big a deal, I'm sure you could find a vet that would help financially. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts