Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8yr old Dobie boy wassupposed to get a lump removed ,after his CBC the vet saw his WBC was elevated , has has had two differnet antibiotics and his WBC continues to rise . He is showing NO physial signs of illness or infection ,he is still very active ,eating and drinking. The vet is throwing all sorts of diagnosis at me , ex leukemia , myeloma. I am worried . Insight anybody ??

·
sufferin succotash
9,174 Posts
The normal range for a WBC count in the dog would be between 6,000 and 17,000 per microliter. The number of WBC's is typically elevated when the body is fighting a severe infection or stressed by metabolic toxins (a patient that was in acute kidney failure with waste products building up in its body would normally have an elevated WBC). In addition, when extremely excited (if we overly excite or frighten the animal when drawing the blood sample) white blood cells will be released into the blood and the levels will rise. The WBC count will be lower than normal, if an animal has been weakened from a prolonged, debilitating disease and in some viral infections.

source: Blood Cells & Complete Blood Counts (CBC) in Animals

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,164 Posts
There are also different kinds of WBC's all of which have different functions--fighting off infections due to bacteria, getting rid of viruses, or handling allergy problems, for example, are typically handled by different types of cells. Figuring out what kind of blood cell is increased helps determine what is going on. I would guess he has done a CBC to tell him the basic cell counts and cell types. Is he basing his diagnoses/hypotheses of any kind of further cytology--examination of the blood cells (or bone marrow or lump tissue) in the lab by a pathologist? Leukemia/lymphoma/myeloma--the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis to some extent depend on the type of cells found. Does he have anything more specific than "increased WBC" to say?

Was the CBC done to help him figure out what the lump was, or just to see if your dog was fit enough for surgery?

Sending healing thoughts for your pupper and peace of mind for you.............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all ! I went and camped out at the vets after I posted . Seems that Elvis is some kind of an anomaly.The WBC ,Neutrphils are extremely high ,actually what would be expected in a dog on Steroids, Elvis is on Meloxican (NSAID)and his WBC has only been raised since he has started the drugs. He is now on another antibiotic ,a more broad spectrum one and we will re run his CBC on Sat and I have requested that a pathologist reveiws the cells for any abnormality. We have reduced his meloxican to 1/2 every 2 days now.His lump is under his right armpit, not growing rapidly like that last fatty lipoma he had removed but growth is steady. Next turn is a fine needle aspiration of the lump.Elvis is doing really well, and bouncing around like a pup. The indicators that would normally be there for Myeloma, and Lymphoma are not showing ( maybe they still will ) but right now I have my dobie boy and enjoying every minute I have with him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elvis update

After many months of lost appetite and weight loss my handsome and faithfull Dobie Elvis has been diagnosed with lung cancer , it breaks my heart to write this ,he is my first Dobie with the sweetest nature ever. Right now he is on a bronchodialator and steroids and seems to be doing well. His appetite has returned and he has never lost his spark. 2 days before he was diagnosed we got another little Dobie boy (Titus) in the hope that he will keep Elvis going for a while. I do not hold out any major hope for miracles I just want to keep my boy comfortable and close for as long as I can without him suffering .

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Elvis's diagnosis. I am very sorry you both are going to have to go thru this. Try to remain upbeat for Elvis the best you can.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
So very very sorry to hear this.. Thank you for updating us all.. We know how you feel, believe me we do. Sweet Elvis, our hearts are sad, but our spirits softened. We know where you are now. Pain free, running strong and fast. Happy to be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.