Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, tomorrow Rowen goes in to have her ears cropped. After Rayna's sensitivty to Anesthesia, I'm pretty worried. But it's been two weeks, and I take comfort in knowing the rest of this litter had no problems. We will also be doing a full blood panel again. She will be staying at the vets for a 2 days. He wants to watch over her and take care of the hard part for me. He is doing this at free of charge. He said she will come home with her ears in a rack of some sort.

I have read over most of the ear cropping topics, but could not find an anwser to what I need. I plan on posting with tampons, but when I tried my "pre-crop posting" idea they keep slipping out. I can't find skin bond anywhere! Is there another way to get them to stay put? Or do you know of someplace I could find skin bond? Should I even use skin bond with tampons? I have heard of it used with the mole foam Method. My other thought was to tape backwards, sticky side out. Dr. Feher will be helping me post, but I would love to hear all your advice as well.

Any tips to get me through this week of post crop would be great. Any advice on best methods would be awesome too. She is 14 weeks now if it matters with method. What size tampons would I be using?

Big thanks in advance! Wish us luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can be of no assistance on the ear cropping, but let us know how the crop itself goes. We'll be thinking about you and sending good vibes your way.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I used the tampon method. I did not use skin bond. I taped backwards over the tampon tube. Make sure you have the tube seated nicely in the bell part of the ear and not down in the canal.

·
Banned
675 Posts
If he keeps her for two days, is there going to be anyone there overnight? Most vet clincs don't have staff present overnight, altho some do.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Well, tomorrow Rowen goes in to have her ears cropped. After Rayna's sensitivty to Anesthesia, I'm pretty worried. But it's been two weeks, and I take comfort in knowing the rest of this litter had no problems. We will also be doing a full blood panel again. She will be staying at the vets for a 2 days. He wants to watch over her and take care of the hard part for me. He is doing this at free of charge. He said she will come home with her ears in a rack of some sort.

I have read over most of the ear cropping topics, but could not find an anwser to what I need. I plan on posting with tampons, but when I tried my "pre-crop posting" idea they keep slipping out. I can't find skin bond anywhere! Is there another way to get them to stay put? Or do you know of someplace I could find skin bond? Should I even use skin bond with tampons? I have heard of it used with the mole foam Method. My other thought was to tape backwards, sticky side out. Dr. Feher will be helping me post, but I would love to hear all your advice as well.

Any tips to get me through this week of post crop would be great. Any advice on best methods would be awesome too. She is 14 weeks now if it matters with method. What size tampons would I be using?

Big thanks in advance! Wish us luck!
I've never used skin bond with tampons. If the tampons are seated correctly and the taping is done correctly, they stay in place just fine. You *should* backtape the tampon. As far as what size tampon-it depends on the size of the puppy. Sometimes I use regular, sometimes super. Eventually I graduate to using caulking rod rather than tampons, because the length of the ear will exceed the length of the tampon and i'm too lazy to start taping tampons together.

What I always do with freshly cropped puppies is take clean, used sweat socks, and cut them down two sides. I stretch them over the cups (or rack), and tie under the chin, making a sock bonnet. This keeps the cut area clean, and provides a little padding for them..change them every day.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, he runs an emergency clinic as well. He might not be there but someone will. I asked that question too thinking about *what if* she rips a stitch out and starts bleeding? They said I couild call anytime to check up on her. So thats good. The Vet just called actully, reminding me no food after midnight and wanted to wish my husband good luck on his upcoming surgery. I did my shadowing at his clinic along time ago. He's not the most pleasant man. But I love to see the spark in his eyes when he see's the girls. He loves the breed. I think I irratate him with my happy, sunshiny personality. ~grins~ Someday I will get a smile from him!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never used skin bond with tampons. If the tampons are seated correctly and the taping is done correctly, they stay in place just fine. You *should* backtape the tampon. As far as what size tampon-it depends on the size of the puppy. Sometimes I use regular, sometimes super. Eventually I graduate to using caulking rod rather than tampons, because the length of the ear will exceed the length of the tampon and i'm too lazy to start taping tampons together.

What I always do with freshly cropped puppies is take clean, used sweat socks, and cut them down two sides. I stretch them over the cups (or rack), and tie under the chin, making a sock bonnet. This keeps the cut area clean, and provides a little padding for them..change them every day.
I'm trying to picture how to do this sock bonnet... Use two socks? I have never heard of sweat socks before. Do you mean the ones with the fuzzy insides? And then cut both sides?? Hmmmm. :confused2

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'm trying to picture how to do this sock bonnet... Use two socks? I have never heard of sweat socks before. Do you mean the ones with the fuzzy insides? And then cut both sides?? Hmmmm. :confused2
Just one regular white men's sock. Cut up two sides of the open part that you'd stick your foot into, i usually cut to the end of the part that has the elastic. This is what you want to end up with.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohh too precious! Ok, I get it now! Thanks. If the brace allows me to I may try that.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought I'd write to let everyone know the puppies are doing great! They were not cropped until today, as my vet thought Rayna would do fine this time. (She had gained over 8 pounds in 2 weeks.) So he fit them both in today. My husband stopped in to check on them tonight, and he said they were all wide awake and wanting to go with him. He said there ears looked great and they would be getting put into a rack tomorrow. They will be staying until Sunday late afternoon. I miss them so much already.

I can't tell you all how smart they are. Both with there own personalities. Rowen at 28 lbs. is such a ham, no dantiness, or grace. She is such a cuddle bug, and thinks she's a lap dog. Her favorite thing is to sit with me when I'm chatting to you all on the computer. She nibbles the keyboard keys.

Rayna at 25 lbs, is just the opisite. She has a delicateness, and a proud pick your feet up high prance when she walks. Her favorite thing is taking rides with Dad. And she has a fetish with his moccasin leather shoes. Of course he gave it to her after she ripped out the laces. Spolied brat.

Raven is ajusting well to them both, Once in awhile she gives me that look..."Mom did you have to?" She puts up with alot, and knows when to correct them. The only problem I am having with her is she is used to being free fed, and she is gaining too much weight as she thinks the puppies will eat her food. She shows slight food gaurding. But I don't think it's a problem anymore as I took the advice and feed them all seperatly now. She gets mad because they eat more times a day then her. We have been paying speacil attention to her, and she has a few days off from the pups. She taking up some much needed rest. (So are we!)

I can not wait to take them all camping this summer. I hope they like water. Raven likes it OK, but she is not a good swimmer at all. I always wated a water dog. Does any of your dobes take to water? Thank you all for the advice this far. I am sure I will be more of a pain these next few months with posting questions. I will try to get the anwsers from already asked questions. I still don't understand where this "pocket" is formed.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Mandy, If you have ever seen a dobe with the ears tilting badly toward each other, or sometimes just one that is leaning over the top of the head toward the other, this is most likely a pocket problem.

If you look at the dogs front view and see where the ear meets the top of the head, this is where I have seen the pockets form. They look like a little sink hole, divet, crater, or "pocket" if it happens to one of yours, you will know what you are looking at based on the description............it won't sound like mumbo jumbo when you see it in person :)

Keep in mind that I am not the most experienced person and didn't have this problem with Orson, but my friend with boxers did (luckily fixed with next taping & cotton ball) and I have seen other dogs with it that were not fixed and now too late to do a thing about.

·
Registered
444 Posts
With Lexie I backwards tape the tampon. I also use Allocare skin prep. If you know of anyone who works in an intesive care unit in a hospital see if they can get you some. When Lexie came home her ears where posted to a cup. I wrapped her cup with elastaplast bandage. Another hospital supply but I think you can get it at CVS. Just be careful not to wrap too tight. Another thing I did was buy baby socks and actually tapped them to her back legs so her nails would not rip the dressing when she scratched.
Lisa

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With Lexie I backwards tape the tampon. I also use Allocare skin prep. If you know of anyone who works in an intesive care unit in a hospital see if they can get you some. When Lexie came home her ears where posted to a cup. I wrapped her cup with elastaplast bandage. Another hospital supply but I think you can get it at CVS. Just be careful not to wrap too tight. Another thing I did was buy baby socks and actually tapped them to her back legs so her nails would not rip the dressing when she scratched.
Lisa

I thought about putting something on thier feet. If they get to scratching, I will have to do that. I can imagin how they look wioth socks on! he he

I'm going to have to keep them seperated for sure now. They will beat each other right up im sure. I'm going to buy bigger crates next week. I'm not sure erect ears will be ok in these ones. Medium vari's. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts