Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm freaking out a bit right now. According to Gunner's paperwork, he's been dewormed at all the appropriate ages. I've also given him his heartworm pill which is supposed to cover some other intestinal parasites as well. I just went to clean out his crate though after he had been napping, and found WORMS on the bottom of the crate. They are about half an inch long and white...looks like maggots almost. I've got Drontal waiting on me at the vet that I'm about to go pick up...what else should I do? I cannot STAND bugs so this completely grosses me out. Should I be worried about my kids sicne they've been playing with him? What should I do to prevent him getting them again. EWWWWW!!!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has replied but I figured I would update anyways. I went to the vet, got medicine for tapeworms, and gave it to Gunner. Then, I put him outside so I could thoroughly clean his crate. While I was doing that, I realized that I'd made a big mistake. The tapeworms I thought I saw, were in fact, maggots. A few days ago, I had stuffed his kong with wet dogfood. I thought he had eaten it all, but apparently not. When I picked it up to move it, about 20 maggots fell out. I do NOT do bugs so I about lost it. These were definitely fly larvae and not tapeworms so that's a relief. I threw the kong away, thoroughly scrubbed his kennel, and now hopefully that will be the end of it. I thought those worms looked like maggots, but there were only a few at first so it was hard to tell. So it cost me an extra 25.00 for worming meds...oh well...my mistake :/ I'm just glad my boy isn't infested!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Glad he doesn't have worms but I think between the two I'd rather deal with a worm :)

Did he examine him? If not, I do think this is a good example of why vets should examine a patient before giving meds. I may have misunderstood and if so, my apologies.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad he doesn't have worms but I think between the two I'd rather deal with a worm :)

I do think this is a good example of why vets should examine a patient before giving meds.
Normally I would agree, but in this case, getting him to the vet tonight was not an option. It is storming very badly here, I have two young kids, and all of his poop had already been picked up and thrown away. The extra worming won't hurt him...I'm glad he's had it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
yuck!

yuck....yuck!

icky, icky..............i once held maggots in my hand for a bird to eat..............yuck.

glad your boy doesn't have worms...........he just has worms............... living with him, not in him. :)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
When we went to dog shows everytime after we got home we had an out break of worms. The best thing I've used is from safe-guard it's a dewormer for goats. It's given by body weight daily for 4-6 weeks.It was very successful...........anyones else use this?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Normally I would agree, but in this case, getting him to the vet tonight was not an option. It is storming very badly here, I have two young kids, and all of his poop had already been picked up and thrown away. The extra worming won't hurt him...I'm glad he's had it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Just wanted to apologize if my post came across as rude or abrupt. I just meant "in general" and it sounded more like I was pointing my finger at you. Again, my apologies.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to apologize if my post came across as rude or abrupt. I just meant "in general" and it sounded more like I was pointing my finger at you. Again, my apologies.
No problem at all :) Normally my vet would have required an exam for anything else...but since I was so positive of what I saw, they had no problem giving me a dewormer. I could have gone and bought one from the petstore anyways..just would rather get it from my vet. I'm just SO relieved it wasn't actually intestinal worms...UGH!

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
No one has replied but I figured I would update anyways. I went to the vet, got medicine for tapeworms, and gave it to Gunner. Then, I put him outside so I could thoroughly clean his crate. While I was doing that, I realized that I'd made a big mistake. The tapeworms I thought I saw, were in fact, maggots. A few days ago, I had stuffed his kong with wet dogfood. I thought he had eaten it all, but apparently not. When I picked it up to move it, about 20 maggots fell out. I do NOT do bugs so I about lost it. These were definitely fly larvae and not tapeworms so that's a relief. I threw the kong away, thoroughly scrubbed his kennel, and now hopefully that will be the end of it. I thought those worms looked like maggots, but there were only a few at first so it was hard to tell. So it cost me an extra 25.00 for worming meds...oh well...my mistake :/ I'm just glad my boy isn't infested!
Sorry about that OliviaB...bugs (that's pretty generic--but the kind of stuff that you might find in puppies by way of parasites don't really bother me--but maggots do) generally don't bother me--but people occasionally ask me if I give my dogs stuffed Kongs etc to keep them entertained when I'm not home and the answer is NO!!! And for just the sort of reason that you encountered.

You can avoid having fly larva show up in the the residue of the kind of crap that people stuff into Kongs and other stuffable toys but they really shouldn't be left without being run through either the dishwasher or the washing machine if they've had food in them.

It could have been worse--a friend of mine had her dog get repeatedly attacked by yellowjackets after she gave him a Kong stuffed with peanut butter.

·
sandy2233
2,505 Posts
Maggots not good. I still have a problem grooming dogs with them. They just make my skin crawl and I get so pissed at people that let their dogs get them. Once in awhile, our feedlot lambs would get them, but if you're watching your animals, you know when they're not right. There are two things I can smell when I walk into the clinic. Parvo and maggots. They each have their own smell. And for the life of me, I wonder how the owner of an inside dog cannot smell/notice them on their dog. I am so glad Gunner just got an extra worming. Consider it a boost to the immune system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts