Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my doberman took a dump that looked like a very long worm with yellow mucus. So thats when I started thinking this pup must have worms, and i noticed it been coughhing, then later on it coughed and spitted alot saliva and i saw 2 long worms, one curled up to a ball and the other just stayed there. So I did some quick research and found this...
Lungworms:
The chief signs of lungworm infections in cats and dogs are coughing and a rise in the number of white blood cells called eosinophiles. Lungworms y are quite rare in an urban environment. Dogs become infected with a lungworm, Filaroides osleri, while cats become infected with Aelurostrongylus abstrusus. Adults of these parasites live in nodules in the windpipe where they pass living larva, which are coughed up. Some are spit out and others re-swallowed and pass out in the stool. Pups become infected by eating the saliva or feces of an infected dog. Cats obtain these parasites by eating birds or small rodents that have eaten an infected snail or slug. These worms are best treated with fenbendazole (Panacur).

I dont want to visit the vet for a something i could fix than to waste money to visit the vet. Should I buy the medicine? Which type for a 5 week year old dog. I have my dog inside for right now cause i dont want it to get my other puppy sick. What your thoughts on this? What would you do?

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
While Panacur is broad spectrum, I personally would still would still want to use it under the direction of my vet. I would at the very least take them for a check-up to make sure the parasite has cleared after treatment, which may require multiple visits for the reason that some parasites are only seen in certain stages.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i also saw something about buying dewormer for lungworms and also says it kills other type of worms. I havent visit a vet yet, but im plan on going next week for the puppys shots, i think it still to young.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Am I reading right that your pup is only 5 weeks old? If so...I'd bring that vet appointment forward to tomorrow/today....heavy worm burdens in young puppies can do a lot of damage very quickly and can even threaten their lives...best not to wait.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea your probably right. Ill just take it tommorrow and see what they can do. I hope it isnt a big deal and have to spend alot of money on the puppy. Do you happen to know the avarge cost of vacinne shots? just wondering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this website with the complete packages of vaccine and to me thats really really cheap. hahaha:DD Now i have to worry is about my puppy worms.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Oh gosh didn't read she was 5 weeks. Yes, take her today. I never trust shipment companies or sellers of vaccines. When getting from vets you know they were handled properly. If they are not kept properly they do your puppy no good. If your pup ends up sick you are going to pay a lot more for treatment than if you pay up front for good preventative care. Sometimes thousands more and sometimes with the life of your puppy.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Is this a joke? This speaks of troll to me. Shame on you if you are not a troll. Take that baby puppy to the vet, seriously what is wrong with you. She is expelling worms at both ends...she is totally infested gahhhh. How you got a 5 wk puppy I'll never know but it makes sense you are trying to save a buck already.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
Got to agree, take that baby to the vet asap. Those vacines sometimes are out of date, u really don't know what ur getting. I know vets cost alot. I spend alot at the vet, I have 6 dogs. I have been making payments to my vet for as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure I have bought her at least one new Caddie over the years. But thats the price you pay when you choose to have animals. If not for the heartworm pills and frontline every month for 6, I could be driving a new car.........:tongue:

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
yeah, sorry for even mentioning "tomorrow" (it's 1.30am over here)...forgot you guys were just beginning yesterday!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I took him to the vet and he got a shot of Strongid and I know he needs to be with his mom till hes 8 wks but the person who gave me the dog said that the momma died, i dont how. Dude im tripping about the cost is cause some vets just straight up rip people off, like 180 bucks for vaccine and 30 for visit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have two 5 wk old pups and you keep them outside?! You brought one in cuz of the worms. OMG. Troll...I'm done here.
I took my pup inside due to the fact that i have another puppy outside... Yea you should know why. common sense.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yea I took him to the vet and he got a shot of Strongid and I know he needs to be with his mom till hes 8 wks but the person who gave me the dog said that the momma died, i dont how. Dude im tripping about the cost is cause some vets just straight up rip people off, like 180 bucks for vaccine and 30 for visit.
If you are worried about $180 to get your puppies healthy, then you are WAY over your head with this. That will most likely be one of your cheaper vet visits over the course of these puppies' lives.

If you can't afford to take great care of these puppies, turn them over to rescue. How are you going to afford to spay/neuter both of them? How are you going to afford emergency surgery if one has a blockage? The list goes on...

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts

Ummmm why on earth did you get a dog if you can't afford to pay vet bills?? What happens if your puppy gets sick and costs you $500 at the vets? And having a puppy so young, they do get sick very easily, and go downhill very quickly. I think you should give this puppy in to a reputable Doberman rescue so they can give the puppy the treatment and medical care that it needs, and so that it can be socialized with other puppies and dogs properly. Puppies taken away from their litter than early often have many behavioural problems... which will cost yet more $$$$$ in the future to solve.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts