Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!
I finally decided to join the site today after coming across it so many times when searching for dobe related info in the past. It seems like a great resource for gathering educated input, so here goes...

I am ready to begin the process of purchasing my next Doberman, and I know this can take the better part of a year or two so I'm eager to get started. My last dobe was a rescue and although I loved her with all my heart I'd like to go a different route this time. The right breeder is very important because I will compete in agility, obedience, and most likely shutzhund. I have very little experience with shutzhund so I cant say for certain, but it is something I'm very interested in. I have waited for years until I knew I could dedicate the time and energy it takes to be involved at this level in these sports. Now I'm so excited to find the perfect pup for me!!

I'm looking for a working prospect pup from a great reputable breeder, preferably with European lines as I am more interested in the sporting aspect than the show ring. Above all I want a good sound pup. I live in Destin fl and have had a hard time finding anyone in the southeast that fits that bill.

From the research I have already done I have come across Incredible Dobermans out of California and am very impressed, but they are so far away. I'd love a pup from them but I'm not sure they would even consider me for a pup because I'm literally across the country. ( I was also impressed with Cara Dobermans and Aldercrest but same issue:().

**So any pointers to breeders a little closer?

Also another major concern of mine is this. I know how passionate I am about this breed and the direction i want to go in with my new pup. I am confident in my ability to handle such an intelligent and highly driven dog, as I am highly driven myself. On the other hand I fully understand the concerns on the breeders end. They may be hesitant about giving such a handful of a pup over to someone who is still relatively speaking, a beginner. I think its wonderful that good breeders insure their pups go to the right homes and I would be put off if a breeder didn't express concern about where their pups were going. Although I'm worried my experience level may be a problem when trying to acquire a working prospect pup.

**Does anyone have any input on what I might do to put the breeders mind at ease?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!!

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
If you are very interested in Schutzhund and would like a dog for this purpose, your best bet is to find a club / trainer FIRST. Visit, network with people, determine if it's something that you truly want to pursue. After you've done that, then look for the breeder / puppy.

If you indicate what part of the country you are in, folks might be able to make some recommendations as far as finding training.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i know my post is a little long winded, but I do mention I live in Destin fl, its in the panhandle.

I have been involved in the past at a training facility in nicevile fl and have experience with obedience and agility.

As far as schutzhund I have attempted to contact the people in my area involved with protection work in the past and unfortunately they are all associated with law enforcement or the military (i live by two major air force bases) and they seem to have a closed door policy...

I'm near panama city fl and Pensacola fl?? does anyone know anybody in those areas? I haven't had much luck yet

·
Registered
726 Posts
I also HIGHLY suggest checking out schutzhund clubs in your area before deciding to get a schutzhund or working line dog. Don't go to just part of one practice. Go to multiples. If you do decide to take up schutzhund, know that for many clubs it is a lifestyle. My schutzhund club is like family to me. We spend A LOT of time together and it is hard work! Don't let it discourage you, it is really rewarding. But most people don't have the time to commit to it.

I know of a few litters for Spring 2013 off the top of my hand for working Dobermans.

Masaya Dobermans, KY Masaya Dobermans ~ Litterbox
Von Moeller Hof, NC Upcoming Litter
Landgraf, CA vom Landgraf

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
sorry i know my post is a little long winded, but I do mention I live in Destin fl, its in the panhandle.

I have been involved in the past at a training facility in nicevile fl and have experience with obedience and agility.

As far as schutzhund I have attempted to contact the people in my area involved with protection work in the past and unfortunately they are all associated with law enforcement or the military (i live by two major air force bases) and they seem to have a closed door policy...

I'm near panama city fl and Pensacola fl?? does anyone know anybody in those areas? I haven't had much luck yet

Sorry I missed that.

Florida has loads of DVG clubs. I'd start there. You can also check UScA.

I'd avoid a LE training group if possible...

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
It is unrealistic to think you are going to successfully compete in agility, ob and Schutzhund. You might as well add flyball, rally, nosework and dockdiving. Oh and don't forget it might as well be a therapy dog while you are at it.

Schutzhund is 3 phases all by itself and takes an incredible amount of time and commitment.

In terms of breeders, the ones you mentioned produce primarily show line dogs, and are not exactly working line breeders. Closer ones to you would include Masaya, Swift Run, and Wustensturm, and a few others. You might also check with Chris Rasmussen, and Sandy Pope. They are also closer to the South East.

Take TNH317's advice.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
It is unrealistic to think you are going to successfully compete in agility, ob and Schutzhund. You might as well add flyball, rally, nosework and dockdiving. Oh and don't forget it might as well be a therapy dog while you are at it.

Schutzhund is 3 phases all by itself and takes an incredible amount of time and commitment.

In terms of breeders, the ones you mentioned produce primarily show line dogs, and are not exactly working line breeders. Closer ones to you would include Masaya, Swift Run, and Wustensturm, and a few others. You might also check with Chris Rasmussen, and Sandy Pope. They are also closer to the South East.

Take TNH317's advice.
I compete in flyball and we're prepping for our IPO1. It's not at all impossible. It's actually quite possible, IPO on the weekends and other various training during the week (including tracking and OB during the week). It doesn't kill to miss a weekend of IPO to compete in other venues.

OP, I have a working dog from Landgraf. I also suggest to take TNH's advice. She gave you some good links to look at! I hope you can find a club near you. I've had to drive 2 hours to mine.
Good luck on your search, I hope you find what you're look for!

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Carr,

I am in your area, and actually train in the Niceville facility you speak of. I train Agility there with my boy and my neighbors puppy I am not training and bringing up.

But I just wanted to say that there is NOTHING as far as Sch in the immediate area. My friend owns a Masaya pup, that might be willing to meet with you if you would like to see the temperament of that dog. I can not speak for him, but I could ask if you are interested.

I was looking at Euro working lines at first for my next agility dog, but because the area doesn't offer Sch which I also wanted to dabble in I am leaning more towards American lines that focus a lot more on working titles then most show breeders... ADAMAS is the breeder I am looking at seriously now.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
One can over- think the whole thing. Don't ask me how I know.:) You've been given a good list. You should be able to find something from one of them. Von Moeller Hof is expecting pups in April, if the breeding took.

I, too, tend to roll my eyes at the people who come on here with that laundry list of sports that they are gonna do.:) But if you come with a solid history in one sport, then you know the level of committement required and I see no reason why such a person can't do an additional sport. If you're like me, you're totally sucked into the doggie lifestyle :D and there's no turning back. I won't make any World team but I will pick up a few titles and enjoy the time spent with my dog and other like-minded people.

And yes, you may have to drive a bit for sch training. I drive 2 hrs one way(my absolute limit) for a club with no TD but I like the other members and the helper and my dog isn't complicated so we can probably manage a 1. Knock on wood; don't want to jinx myself.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Wanted to say also...

The Florida clubs listed are 6+ hours away from the OP... I think the closest one I found was in Alabama somewhere and it was 4 hours away... It's been a while since I looked though

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I, too, tend to roll my eyes at the people who come on here with that laundry list of sports that they are gonna do.:) But if you come with a solid history in one sport, then you know the level of committement required and I see no reason why such a person can't do an additional sport. If you're like me, you're totally sucked into the doggie lifestyle :D and there's no turning back. I won't make any World team but I will pick up a few titles and enjoy the time spent with my dog and other like-minded people.
What she said :)

I don't do Sch but Havoc, my Vizsla, does conformation, agility, and hunting. Envy his daughter will do that plus obedience. I won't make world team with any of them. Flirt, my Dobe, does agility and I'm thinking of jumping into obedience with her. It means I AM BUSY training and practicing. Weekends are busy. I also have to run the dogs on the weekends which I enjoy and I have a 9.5 yr old active Vizsla who needs her 1:1 time. For me, it's a hobby not work. It is a time commitment.

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
Wanted to say also...

The Florida clubs listed are 6+ hours away from the OP... I think the closest one I found was in Alabama somewhere and it was 4 hours away... It's been a while since I looked though

Even if all the clubs listed are too far, it is often still worth reaching out and networking with folks.

What gets listed are "official" clubs, there are many more clubs and training groups in the country than what is included on those websites. Sometimes, if you talk to folks that are generally from and familiar with the area and have been involved in the sport for a while they might know of an informal group, or a Rottweiler club, etc. located closer.

Not saying that this is the case for your area, I have no idea. But, if I really wanted to do Schutzhund I would at least reach out to some folks and not just end my search with the published list.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Even if all the clubs listed are too far, it is often still worth reaching out and networking with folks.

What gets listed are "official" clubs, there are many more clubs and training groups in the country than what is included on those websites. Sometimes, if you talk to folks that are generally from and familiar with the area and have been involved in the sport for a while they might know of an informal group, or a Rottweiler club, etc. located closer.

Not saying that this is the case for your area, I have no idea. But, if I really wanted to do Schutzhund I would at least reach out to some folks and not just end my search with the published list.
I have, the only thing that was close was a club in Panama City, but I went to 2 of the practices... and it was pretty much a sewing circle... nothing serious... Just a lot of women sitting around chit chatting, and the instructor chit chatting with them. Was really disappointing...

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
What she said :)

I don't do Sch but Havoc, my Vizsla, does conformation, agility, and hunting. Envy his daughter will do that plus obedience. I won't make world team with any of them. Flirt, my Dobe, does agility and I'm thinking of jumping into obedience with her. It means I AM BUSY training and practicing. Weekends are busy. I also have to run the dogs on the weekends which I enjoy and I have a 9.5 yr old active Vizsla who needs her 1:1 time. For me, it's a hobby not work. It is a time commitment.
While I don't disagree that people can dabble in lots of different activities with their dogs, I think what people sometimes forget when it comes to Schutzhund is that it's 3 separate sports, it's just called one thing. You currently do 3 activities with Havoc, if you announced you were going to do Schutzhund as well that would really make it 6 separate activities. :) I think those laundry lists can quickly hit the unobtainable point when you start off with schutzhund + this + that + the other as the three phases for schutzhund alone are very time consuming.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I think the training in multiple venues in entirely subjective. What Rosamburg and I (although he more serious than I) may think of 'training in schutzhund' and what some of you all may think of training in schutzhund may differ quite a bit.

I've got two dogs I am preparing for schutzhund competition. I am not just showing up to club practice on Saturdays and maybe wednesday nights. I am not looking to just be able to come hang out and do some ob/tr/bite work. I am looking to be competitive, have high scores, and maximize my dog's potential in the sport. With Argo, I am going for his 1 in April. I've been training with him since last fall and there hasn't been a single moment available that I could have taken him somewhere else to do agility/flyball/conformation/whatever else. That's because I will not accept 'ok'. I want the closest to perfection in everything he is capable of, and there are simply too many pieces to worry about. I had to sit down with my trainer and make a list of priorities: Immediate and long term and everyday I go train, I have to focus on generally one goal for the day. Everyday, I wish I could work on 5 different things, but training does not work like that. I wish I could work on his retrieve for 5 straight hours or run blinds nonstop until they are perfect, but you can not do this. You only have so much dog, and so much time to work with them. If I had no immediate plans of competing and just thought 'hey maybe I'll get his 1 sometime' then I might be able to see dabbling in other sports, but I honestly see no way with the goals I have of him.

But for me, schutzhund is 100% where my heart and passion lie. Therefore I care the most about it and have an incurable addiction to training for it.

Even with my young dog who I have no immediate plans with, there is oh so much foundational work to set. I have a never ending list of things I can work on each session, and once again I have to have a clear plan with my goals for each day/week/month.

With Zeus, I am going to compete in obedience, but I'm not going to classes, not having private lessons, and I can get away with only working him 5 minutes maybe once a week. But that's because I've already put his time in, and obedience is just going to be something fun for him to do. I have goals for him, but I'm not going to be traveling for it. I'll wait for local trials and get titles whenever I get them. I wouldn't have time for more than that. Even last weekend, I missed out on tracking with Argo due to taking Zeus and Drama to an obedience match. Now I've got to make it up this week. This weekend, I have plans with Drama on Saturday, will again miss out on tracking then, so I will have to track at 7am before leaving to drive 2 hours to a different decoy. (I will also be doing bitework with our home decoy on friday).

I have not even worked the dogs in the group obedience in a month due to having so much work to do with everything else.

If I did not have Zeus or Drama to worry about, every ounce of their time would be given to Argo, who desperately needs it if I want to accomplish my goals with him. I just can not imagine trying to do more schutzhund.

Perhaps it is just my personality, but if I wanted to participate in other sports, I would want to be competitive and very successful in that sport as well, and I would not get as much enjoyment out of it to simply go to another class once a week.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Found seminole and moccasin gap working dog club in tallahassee. Not sure if they are even active though

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I think the training in multiple venues in entirely subjective. What Rosamburg and I (although he more serious than I) may think of 'training in schutzhund' and what some of you all may think of training in schutzhund may differ quite a bit.

But for me, schutzhund is 100% where my heart and passion lie. Therefore I care the most about it and have an incurable addiction to training for it.

Perhaps it is just my personality, but if I wanted to participate in other sports, I would want to be competitive and very successful in that sport as well, and I would not get as much enjoyment out of it to simply go to another class once a week.
Oh same here. I won’t make world team but my goals are top 20 and MACH for agility. Can’t say for obedience because I am just starting out. I’m taking our hunting to MH level hopefully and the guy with the Vizsla with a Quintuple CH said the MH was the hardest of anything to achieve. We do way more than go to class once a week. I also don’t think I put it together that in Sch you train for all 3 ‘sports’ at one time. For some reason I was thinking you did one, then the other then the other. I also have to drive an hour to hunt train which many of you also do for Sch. I’m busy almost every weekend either competing or training. To some, that’s not fun, to me I really enjoy it. I’m hyper like my Vizslas. I have 3 dogs training for agility. 1 dog training for conformation, 2 training for obedience and all the puppy manners to finish training and socializing.

My agility is your Sch. It's my passion and what I want to excel at. I played competitive soccer until I was 18 and competed in gymnastics at the same time until I was 14; it's just in my personality :)

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Wende Call of Quartet Dobermans just did a breeding lots of working titles.
Dam is
"FIESTY" AM CH/U-GRCH PAWSHERE NEVER A DULL MOMENT CDX RE MX MXJ NF CGC U-CD U-RO1 U-AG1 CPE CL-3

Sire is
"RICKY BOBBY" Multi BIMBS/RBIMBS AM CH/UKC CH Catawba's Power Play CD RA BH SchH1 ATT ROM

Feisty is so pretty! And Ricky is one sexy boy!

This should be a sweet litter for working!

QUARTET DOBERMANS - Litter Box / Puppies

Thats Wende's website. And Wende is a VERY nice lady too.

Reactions: jywel417 and carr12

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I compete in flyball and we're prepping for our IPO1. It's not at all impossible. It's actually quite possible, IPO on the weekends and other various training during the week (including tracking and OB during the week). It doesn't kill to miss a weekend of IPO to compete in other venues.

OP, I have a working dog from Landgraf. I also suggest to take TNH's advice. She gave you some good links to look at! I hope you can find a club near you. I've had to drive 2 hours to mine.
Good luck on your search, I hope you find what you're look for!
Keep us posted on when you achieve success in Schutzhund. I train an average of 3 times per week at the club and do work at home and track when I can. At one of the best clubs in North America it took close to 4 years to get an Sch3/IPO3 on my first bitch. I have been working close to 3 years with my current bitch and we are almost ready for an IPO3 with her. To be successful takes a LOT of time and commitment even under the best conditions (good club, good helpers, in close proximity). I cannot even imagine trying to throw something else into the mix. Frankly I do not even understand what the point is. I know a person that had a dog (now passed on) that had buku letters behind it's name. It was not much of a working dog. It could not pass a real Sch trial. It did have Sch1 behind its name, but that was pretty much from a sham trial. I don't see where such a title could mean anything either, if obtained under suspect circumstances. It was a beautiful dog and had a lot of success in the show ring. It was Am/Can ch. Means absolutely nothing to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts