Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jerk face
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy recently started chattering his teeth in extremely fast little moments. It’s normally only 30 seconds or so and he does about 4 or 5-1 seconds chatters. It literally sounds like a woodpecker. I feel like he only does it when he wants attention, so I think it’s a new addition to his anxiety/brat-ism. It doesn’t seem to hurt him and he has no other changes. I’m more worried about his teeth than anything. He is 7 years old. No health problems.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,583 Posts
Are you sure he's not in pain? When Coco pulled a tendon in her leg her teeth chattered until she was given pain meds from the vet. Once in awhile if the house is too cold her teeth will chatter until she is tucked in with a blanket. I find the older she has gotten she has gotten more sensitive to cool temperatures.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Roxie
79 Posts
My 5yo Dobie is 'chattering' too. Seems like it is tooth grinding, I just had her teeth cleaned bc she is missing 3 teeth in a row on her left side. The vet and I are stumped at what caused the tooth loss. The current theory is that it is partly behavioral, and partly allergy. I use a Halti to walk her, otherwise she pulls my shoulder out. She HATES the Halti and will try to rub it off. The vet believes the degradation product of the nylon caused an allergic reaction, she started to dig at her mouth, but anxiety/OCD/being a neurotic Doberman caused her to keep digging. There was very little tooth plaque and no gingivitis or gum issues that would have caused tooth loss.

I was originally under the impression her 'chattering' was due to being cold since it often occurred when the AC was on. I just noticed her teeth 'chatter' for the first time since the cleaning last night. I know low thyroid can cause issues with temperature regulation and intolerance, hair loss, weight gain, etc. I'm currently trying to figure out if low thyroid could lead to tooth loss.

:2surprise:

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Typically males chatter in the presence of a bitch in season or after having smelled the urine of a bitch in season. Has he been around any ladies?

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
My boy has always done this. It happens most frequently when he's about to be fed later than normal and even more frequently when it's a little chilly in the house too. I have never been concerned about it because I've seen other dobermans do it too. I can try to put a video up of mine doing this.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
One of my close friends had a Dobe bitch who was just "bad" and proved it regularly--took her many tries to get her CD because she'd get bored during the groups exercises and chatter her teeth like that and the judges would inevitably fail her.

We were stopped in a long long line of traffic on I-5 coming back from a dog show/agility trial--after about two seconds of just sitting Rose started to chatter her teeth--she was in the center back of the van--we told her to knock it off--she did, momentarily and then moved closer to the front seats--more chattering. "Shut UP! Rose. Brief silence. More chattering and we realized that by turning her head from side to side she could alternate between chattering in her owners ear and then in mine.

What a bitch! took traffic almost 25 minutes to get moving again and she never stopped--BAD DOG!

So very talented, very bad dogs do it to irritate the people around them.

·
Big Lil pup
6,323 Posts
McCoy is a 3 yo intact male. At certain time, during walks he obsesses over sniffing and "pee licking". When he is really into it, he chattered his teeth like crazy.

He's the only dog I have ver had who has done this, but I have never given it a second thought. I find the slobber WAY more annoying! LOL

John
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
I should note that he also chatters his teeth when licking urine (and yes he's neutered) but it is a much slower chatter than in the video.

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
My boy recently started chattering his teeth in extremely fast little moments. It’s normally only 30 seconds or so and he does about 4 or 5-1 seconds chatters. It literally sounds like a woodpecker. I feel like he only does it when he wants attention, so I think it’s a new addition to his anxiety/brat-ism. It doesn’t seem to hurt him and he has no other changes. I’m more worried about his teeth than anything. He is 7 years old. No health problems.
Any update?

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Ripley chatters her teeth when she's VERY EXCITED about something. Could be food, could be greeting my husband or myself, could be a toy she really wants me to throw. It's directly linked to excitement.

Reactions: 4x4bike ped
1 - 11 of 11 Posts