Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i have a 6 month old dobie and have been noticing wood and twigs in her poop. is that something that i should be worried about?? i have all kinds of trees in my back yard so i dont know what to do.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
hmm, never quite sure what to say to people with young pups eating stuff.

mine have always eaten wood, dirt, etc. ocassionally and knock on wood, they have never had any digestive of other health issues because of it.

I am beginning to think that some dogs just do not get enough 'good' fiber in their diets.

It would be a good idea to discuss this with your Vet.

I hope your young girl has no issues because of her liking for wood and such. It would be a good idea for you to do some research on it and on problems associated with eating foreign objects.....such as, intestinal blockages....become familiar with the symptoms, be informed and prepared.

Hugz to Luna!

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
My girls occasionally eat a stick but it's not often. I was on top of Fiona when she was a pup because she constantly wanted to chew on sticks and rocks. But for her it was a game. I made the mistake of reacting when I saw her with a rock once as a puppy and she turned it into a game of keep away and learned she could swallow things to keep me from taking it from her. Scary way to win a game but win she did.

I had to learn to not react at all to her having something because if I didn't care about it, she didn't care about it and she would just drop it on her own and find something else to play with. Offering her a treat to trade never worked because she doesn't care about treats and she's a smart little cookie and knew what was really the high value item and that she had it. I also tried to keep an eye out for rocks or sticks of a size that could potentially cause a problem and pick them up before she noticed them. Now that she's older it's not a problem.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
good thought brw1982..................i have never made it a big deal when my dogs eat natural stuff......except Pearl.........when she eats dead little critters....i cannot help but say.........yuk, what the heck are you eating now pumpkinhead? (one of her many nicknames. :) )

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
Elke likes to chew on sticks but doesn't generally eat them. What she does eat is driftwood at the beach - maybe the saltiness attracts her? I see her going for it and I do my best to distract her. One day we had been to the beach and I saw her sniffing at a piece and didn't think anything of it. Then in the middle of the night she threw it up.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy likes a stick, once in a while, and over the summer...I leave a few on the front lawn, for her.
- she never ever, picked up a stone / nor would I allow it
When she was a puppy, she thought my cig. butts was fun to put in her mouth...I had to curb her of that bad habit...lol

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Parker went thru a stage of deciding rocks were made to swallow, along with other indigestable things. I spent a couple of months digging thru poo. They do grow out of the type of behavior where they are barically exploring their world and they explore with their mouths. You just have to be very careful to not let them turn it into a game as brw1982 said, because they will swallow things in a heartbeat to keep them./////// Now that I have said all that, I must mention one other possibility I remember from when I was 7 or 8 years old. Had a pup eating wood and ask a vet about it. The vet said he needed worming. Now this was a very long time ago, but it wouldnt hurt to ask your vet to test her for worms. I wouldnt worm and spay her at the same time, tho. Maybe you could run a stool sample by for your vet to test. Wouldnt hurt. Let us know, please. I am very curious if that is a true sign or just old ways that were incorrect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the help. i already went through the whole back yard and picked up as many little sticks as i could find. bet she has a stash somewhere though. her appointment is tomorrow so i'll let you guys know what the vet says.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts