Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have seen some pretty dark Dobes, but never seen an all black Dobermann. I have seen muddied or dark markings, black faces, small muddied chest marks, etc. Never seen a Dobe without tan on the eyes or legs. To be void of markings is a disqualifying fault.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I have seen pics on the internet of all black dobies. There were no noticable markings to be seen anywhere. I didn't much care for it personally, it looked like a small dane or something of the sort.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Lexus said:
I have seen pics on the internet of all black dobies. There were no noticable markings to be seen anywhere. I didn't much care for it personally, it looked like a small dane or something of the sort.
Are you sure the dog was really all black? Ive seen ones where the markings were very very dark and the dog looked like it was all black, but it really wasn't. I have ever seen a trully all black dobe and I don't expect to as that would be a "freak" dobe. If you find a pic, post it, I'd like to see it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing the pic as well. Would have to wonder if an all Black Dobe would be pure since the markings are such a dominant gene from the original make-up. Would be neat to see it, but don't think I will like it. I like the blacks to have clean and rich mahogany markings :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
A Dobe is not a Dobe with out the markings I love the Darker markings though.

This has nothing to do with the color issue but all the time people are like I have a minature doberman at home and blah blah I wish they didnt look alike at all lol so many people think there the same dog just a diff size I think the Italian greyhound, German pinscher and dachshund make the min pin

·
Banned
675 Posts
The one that is posted on the internet being sold by a byb does look like it's a Dane or part Dane. It also looks dark blue instead of black.

Many years ago at my first Doberman specialty, I did see an all black Doberman, it wasn't entered, the owners brought it for people to see. I liked it, but I don't know about the conformation, I was so new to the breed then I didn't have an informed opinion.

Everything I've heard about solid black Dobermans is that the black is just melanism, IOW the black body color "running" into the markings. It happens often to a lesser degree, you often see Dobermans with the black runningto their muzzle for instance.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
micdobe said:
The one that is posted on the internet being sold by a byb does look like it's a Dane or part Dane. It also looks dark blue instead of black.

Many years ago at my first Doberman specialty, I did see an all black Doberman, it wasn't entered, the owners brought it for people to see. I liked it, but I don't know about the conformation, I was so new to the breed then I didn't have an informed opinion.

Everything I've heard about solid black Dobermans is that the black is just melanism, IOW the black body color "running" into the markings. It happens often to a lesser degree, you often see Dobermans with the black runningto their muzzle for instance.

We might be talking about the same dog, I ran into the advertisement of him for sale when I was looking at the ad's from another BYB selling her dogs. He did strike me as "daney" looking.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I saw a red male Dboe pup not long ago that was pretty much all red, you had to look really hard to see any markings at all. I didn't care for the color, I like the markings to show the way they are supposed to.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Here are two pictures of the solid black Dobermans that is advertised on the internet. The breeder has had these same two pictures up for years, so I don't know how many of these dogs she has produced.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
He looks blue to me too. I think you can see alittle of his markings on the side of his face if you look really close in the first picture.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
That's the one Mic, I went searching, but couldn't find him again. His color does look "off", I think it is the nighttime lighting for the pics amongst other things.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are the pics that made me wonder. Because the pics are taken at night with a flash may alter the color. It would be nice to view day photos to see the true color.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
If you look at his legs though, like going down toward his feet, you can tell its not just lighting..he is for sure a funky color...not black.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Lexus said:
Almost like a really dark weimer.
that's what i was thinking too, a blue weim, but I can see little tiny bits of rust in certain spots. The picture is of horrible quality. First of all I don't think the dog is all black and second of all I don't think it's black to begin with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts