Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am giving the small bone it like a paper it is good ? it took her about 30min to finish it and at the end it like gum. It make no spike and thing like that. It is good ?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by it is like paper. All I can think of is that maybe you mean those flat rawhide chips, which I would not recommend. Rawhide can cause choking issues and they can also not digest and can cause problems in the intestines.

If you are giving real raw bones just to chew on, I would not be giving bones that are small enough to eat in half an hour. Beef knuckle bones are good and so are whole beef femur bones (they are huge, and fun!)... bones should only be given raw and may be gotten from the butcher shop or meat market, not the processed kind you get from the pet shop.

If I have misunderstood, please try again and I will try to give you a better answer when I understand what you are asking.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'm not ENTIRELY sure what you mean but I think you mean rawhide? Most of us tend to stay away from rawhide because it can be dangerous for dogs.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
First of all, I don't think witch bones are good for anyone! ;)

My girls rarely get rawhide. It's not a healthy chew and there are other better chew options. The rare occasion I do allow them to have rawhide, they're closely supervised and I take it when it's chewed down to a bit small enough to potentially swallow whole.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
First of all, I don't think witch bones are good for anyone! ;)
Not even witch femur bones? Would it depend on which witch? LOL!

I am on a lot of lists. Every time I see posts by persons for whom English is obviously not their first language, it occurs to me that I would not be able to participate at all if the list used any language but English... it amazes me that so much of the world is able to communicate in multiple languages, and I feel ignorant that I have only one (and that's on a good day LOL!).

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Not even witch femur bones? Would it depend on which witch? LOL!

I am on a lot of lists. Every time I see posts by persons for whom English is obviously not their first language, it occurs to me that I would not be able to participate at all if the list used any language but English... it amazes me that so much of the world is able to communicate in multiple languages, and I feel ignorant that I have only one (and that's on a good day LOL!).
Me too! LOL I have respect for anyone who can even half fumble their way through a second language because it's far above and beyond what I can do.

I jest in good fun. I have a hard time passing up dumb jokes. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yes it flat rawhide chips i am gonna stop giving that to my dog but it not her first time eating that i just want to know what should i watch to know if she is ok and that the bone passed good.

Edit it took her 1 hours and 15min today to eat it and i also got another question if i give a raw bone can she eat it completely or i have to take it out before ?

·
Super Moderator
22,014 Posts
I won't feed rawhide, either. The risk is just too high for my comfort.

I second the suggestion of raw knuckle bones. I personally don't feed weight bearing bones like femurs because they are much harder and can crack teeth. Plus, my dogs can't handle the marrow in those bones; it upsets their stomachs. If you are looking for good things for your dog to chew, you might also look into bully sticks and the Himalayan dog chews. Some dogs also like antlers.

Reactions: BPB

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I won't feed rawhide, either. The risk is just too high for my comfort.

I second the suggestion of raw knuckle bones. I personally don't feed weight bearing bones like femurs because they are much harder and can crack teeth. Plus, my dogs can't handle the marrow in those bones; it upsets their stomachs. If you are looking for good things for your dog to chew, you might also look into bully sticks and the Himalayan dog chews. Some dogs also like antlers.
The thing about knuckle bones is that the cut which removes them from the whole femur exposes softer, center bone... the cut is sort of an easy entry to the bone. Once upon a time, I went to get a couple of femurs and there were none... so, I got a couple of knuckles instead which weighed about two and a half pounds each. Come home, hand them out, loitering/talking/drinking coffee/smoking on my deck with a friend... and, paying no attention to dogs. A couple of hours later, the knuckle bones are GONE! My knuckle-headed dogs had each EATEN two and a half POUNDS of bone! They were not happy campers for a couple of days... pooping concrete, etc. With the femurs, they never did this since there was no place to get started. I do throw them away after they begin to look dried out and are harder. I suppose I could have had a broken tooth, but it has not happened to any of my dogs.

Bully sticks rock, dried trachea rocks, Himalayan things rock (but are soooo expensive!). I distribute raw dog food, and antlers recently were added to the product list... the first month they were available, the first of my customers who ordered them had a GSD break a canine tooth badly enough that it had to be extracted... I caution everyone who asks about ordering them that they probably are not a safe choice for power chewers.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
yes it flat rawhide chips i am gonna stop giving that to my dog but it not her first time eating that i just want to know what should i watch to know if she is ok and that the bone passed good.

Edit it took her 1 hours and 15min today to eat it and i also got another question if i give a raw bone can she eat it completely or i have to take it out before ?
Signs of an obstruction in the intestines might be not eating, eating and then vomiting, vomit which smells something like poop, not pooping, pooping very small quantities of liquid diarrhea, straining very hard to poop. If my dog did anything like this with a few days of eating rawhide, I would probably take her to the vet.

I take a bone away when it has become small enough that a dog could choke on it... maybe a little bit smaller than a tennis ball. I probably would not want a young, growing puppy to eat a large quantity of bone (at least not regularly or often) since puppies should not get a lot of extra calcium. If Roxy has not had a large, fresh, raw bone before just watch her and see how she does... also, you do not want a raw bone dragged around on carpeting or on your furniture! You can either confine her on an easy-to-clean floor or you can put a sheet or towel on the floor and teach her that she must keep the bone on that... when it is warmer, bones are outdoor-only things at my house.

·
Super Moderator
22,014 Posts
The thing about knuckle bones is that the cut which removes them from the whole femur exposes softer, center bone... the cut is sort of an easy entry to the bone. Once upon a time, I went to get a couple of femurs and there were none... so, I got a couple of knuckles instead which weighed about two and a half pounds each. Come home, hand them out, loitering/talking/drinking coffee/smoking on my deck with a friend... and, paying no attention to dogs. A couple of hours later, the knuckle bones are GONE! My knuckle-headed dogs had each EATEN two and a half POUNDS of bone! They were not happy campers for a couple of days... pooping concrete, etc. With the femurs, they never did this since there was no place to get started. I do throw them away after they begin to look dried out and are harder. I suppose I could have had a broken tooth, but it has not happened to any of my dogs.

Bully sticks rock, dried trachea rocks, Himalayan things rock (but are soooo expensive!). I distribute raw dog food, and antlers recently were added to the product list... the first month they were available, the first of my customers who ordered them had a GSD break a canine tooth badly enough that it had to be extracted... I caution everyone who asks about ordering them that they probably are not a safe choice for power chewers.
Yes, you do have to be careful that they don't eat the entire bone in one sitting :) I serve frozen, and both dogs make very little progress in about 2 hours. I can see, though, an issue if your dogs can get through an entire knuckle in two hours! I just give it for a short time, then take them away and toss them back in the freezer. We have no poop issues :) I've known a few dogs that have cracked teeth on femurs, so I'm nervous about them. And really, even if I wanted to, both get very loose stools with femur bones, so I just don't do it. Just more proof that each dog is different when it comes to food and treats, right?

My dogs love tracheas, too, but they last about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The first time I gave Riley a raw bone was a femur and she ended up with a cracked tooth. I am going to try raw knuckle bones.. I have heard raw turkey necks are good too.

I am always stocked on bully sticks and Him. chews over here. Riley has actually never had a rawhide- they scare me. I guess it wouldn't be bad supervised and taken away when it is small enough to be swallowed whole.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The only bone-type treat that lasts more than a few minutes with my dogs is raw femur bones. They will work on those for hours, never had any broken teeth. I go to the grocery store and have the 6 inch length bones cut in halves, they get them often. I've tried bully sticks but can't stand the stink, they don't last more than 30 minutes, and for the price I can get triple the amount in raw bones. I used to give rawhide occasionally a few years ago but both dogs would throw up the next morning after chewing one, so once I connected the dots, they didn't get them anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts