Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello dobermantalk !

first of all i have to thank you all for your help and concerns.
my 2 male dogs are actually doing fine. the oldest one who was biting the small one is now castrated...!

one little fight (attack) in one month, and they are spending the time playing together, rolling over each other etc etc.

NOW I HAVE ANOTHER LITTLE PROBLEM....THE LITTLE ONE (WHO STILL HAVE BALLS...HEHE) STARTS TO DRIFT, AND I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A WIRELESS DOG FENCE FOR HIM WHILE I AM NOT THERE....

ANY EXPERIENCES IN THAT FROM THE FORUM, AND IF ANYONE HAVE GOOD EXPERIENCES, PLEASE TELL ME BRAND NAME.

i am looking in to this one here :

http://www.k9electronics.com/product/PC10-PIF300/PIF300WirelessContainmentSystem.aspx

saludos de chile
morten andersen

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
OMG, one little attack would be enough for me to find a home for one of them!!! I think you are asking for trouble. Sorry I know that's not what you asked about.
Oh, and I would not get this type of fencing, would save my money and get chainlink or wood.:)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
the problem with those types of fencing is that it doesn't keep other things out. People, wild animals, or dogs. Other dogs could wander into the area and start fights or injure your dogs. Also, if the batteries die, that is it, the fence is no longer useful. And some dogs will break the barrier, depends on prey drive. It doesn't work with all dogs all the time.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
also getting the little one fixed would be a good thing

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Also, if you do a search I believe there are good old threads about this... =)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
micdobe said:
Are you saying that you leave your dogs outside in an unfenced area when you are not home?
Same thing I was wondering

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I would spend my money, personally, on a more concrete fence, like chain link or wood. I wouldn't leave them unattended outside when I am not home either. Especially if they are likely to get into a fight. You might come home to a bloody mess someday.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a top of the line Innotek system to keep my girl in a three acre yard while I AM HOME. It is a great system, the training is the key to success. But, you must respect the limits of the protection it offers your dog!

I would not feel comfortable leaving her unattended for any length of time and I live in a suburban area that does not have any large dangerous dog on the loose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have used an electronic fence for my dogs in the past. I always used it to supplement other fencing that I felt was inadequate for one reason or another. I never left them outside if I was not home. One place I lived had areas of the fence my female could jump but she would only jump it to chase cats. The electronic fence worked like a charm. The neighbor’s cat would sit on the edge of the fence. She would run full speed ahead and stop on a dime within 1/8 of an inch of the fence border. It was amazing to watch. I have no idea how she could be running so fast and stop so quickly. She was very sensitive and a very quick learner. The collar was set so she got a warning noise with a 10 second delay prior to any stimulus. It was set on the lowest setting possible, which I tested on myself and felt something like static electricity. I would venture to guess she got a very mild shock 3 times at the most before she had it figured it out. She would stop before she even heard the warning noise.

The only problem I had with it was that for some reason the warning noise had a frequency similar to my oven timer. So whenever I baked and used the timer she freaked out. I had to de-sensitize her to the oven timer noise.

Call me paranoid but I also had it set up for awhile when I had roomates so that the dogs would not get out accidently if one of the roomates made a door mistake.

HTH,

Leslie

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
It has to be a secure fence all the way for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts