Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that dobermans arent supposed to shed much, but I noticed today that Rommel is shedding some of the "thickness" from his coat. Do dobermans get a "winter coat"? Or could he be still shedding some "puppy coat"?

I will admit, I probably don't brush him as much as I should, but his coat is in great condition. When the sun hits him he shimmers! I think that is mostly the food though.

Am I just not brushing him enough???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Dobermans shedd quite a bit and all year long. just look around his crate if he's crated. It's just not like a long haired dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
I upped the anty on Lexus and started brushing her more regurally than I used to, and wow what a difference! I knew she shed, b/c I swept up little black hairs all the time, but it has made a difference to her coat to brush her more. I bought this great soft flexible brush, that is a soft curry on one side (it's a glove so it makes it easy to use too) and the other has like soft rubber bristles.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same one Lexus :D I got it at pet smart! I went last night and got a horse curry comb and shedding blade and also a pumice stone. Rommel loved it, I think he thought I was giving him a back scratch! Haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
GKar sheds like crazy all the time. I keep a large curry comb and horse brush on the patio and use them a couple times a day. It keeps most of it out of the house. He loves it, he will stop next to the brush everytime we come in the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
Kind of on topic still, I gave Lexus a much needed bath yesterday and used the rubber brush with her shampoo, and got a TON of hair out :) I usually just shampoo with my hands. And did a rinse with ACV, very shiny!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Bruno is sheding like crazy. I find I'm always sweeping up little black hairs also. But we do brush him quite a bit. I think most of it is his winter coat. Since it's so cold here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
I think I vacuumed enough hair off the floor around Java's crate today to make another puppy! I'm not sure if it's the puppy coat or winter coat she is losing but I've got to vacuum the area every am. Spoke to another Dobe owner the other day and the horse brush described above sounds similar to what this gal uses on her big boy. She told he she couldn't get over how much of the loose hair this brush picked up and I have to admit that Rex looked like a thoroughbred - his coat just gleamed and you could see the line of muscle under the skin. She picked it up through JB Wholesale Pet Supply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
If you think Dobies shed a lot, let me introduce you to my GSD...hee hee, she sheds enough for me to make winter coats for my whole family!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
Duch doesnt shed much...only if you sit down and really pet her or brush her. But i hate when those hairs get stuck in your sock!!!!! OUCH!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,571 Posts
Asher and Harmony don't seem to shed too bad. I might be lucky. They do seem to shed more though now when it starts to warm up for some reason. You should see the shedding of my chihuahuas at spring time. They are long haired. I hate that time. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
mariposa692001 said:
If you think Dobies shed a lot, let me introduce you to my GSD...hee hee, she sheds enough for me to make winter coats for my whole family!
LOL, GSD's Shed 365 days a year and them some!! I use to have a GSD and I started a new fashion statment at work. No matter what I put on it had black and tan hair on it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
DreamDoby said:
Asher and Harmony don't seem to shed too bad. I might be lucky. They do seem to shed more though now when it starts to warm up for some reason. You should see the shedding of my chihuahuas at spring time. They are long haired. I hate that time. lol.

LOL my I have a smooth Chihuahua and he sheds bad too. I swear I got enough hair off him in the bath the other day to make 2 more of him :) Oh I should do that, then Gracie's Mom and I could both have him :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
JavasMom said:
I think I vacuumed enough hair off the floor around Java's crate today to make another puppy! I'm not sure if it's the puppy coat or winter coat she is losing but I've got to vacuum the area every am. Spoke to another Dobe owner the other day and the horse brush described above sounds similar to what this gal uses on her big boy. She told he she couldn't get over how much of the loose hair this brush picked up and I have to admit that Rex looked like a thoroughbred - his coat just gleamed and you could see the line of muscle under the skin. She picked it up through JB Wholesale Pet Supply.

I used to have a male dobe. I used to use the vacuum on him, like the horses, with a brush attachment LOL.
Dobe
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats a good idea, I dont know how well he would like it....but he will eat treats off of it now....They wont stay on it when its running though (even just sitting there) it vibrates the treats into the floor....so Im gonna have to do something to get him to come near it while its running.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top