Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maida is 8 months old. We've had her for almost 6 months now but we still cannot get her to be calm or accpeting of our rabbit at all. Maida will surely injure the rabbit if she had the chance to. Even when the rabbit is in its cage Maida will get way too excited and paw or even bite at the cage.

Our rabbit is extremely calm and will get along with Maida once she lets him. I was hoping she would become more accpeting of the rabbit as she got older, but now it is just more effort to keep her from getting too crazy around him.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Will she every get along with him?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I wouldn't risk it with my dogs. Their prey drive is way too high. The dobe is way worse than the vizslas. I'd worry about the rabbit getting scared and injured myself.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Doberman = master predator.
Rabbit = very vulnerable prey.

Never never never allow them to play or be out together. The Doberman could kill the rabbit before you could blink your eye. Seriously.
I agree with this entirely. There will never be a situation where your dog (predator) will accept and "love" a rabbit (prey.) period.

I wouldn't trust ANY dog with any other small household pet. Too much risk entirely, IMO. Would you really want the death of your poor bunny to be your fault?

Reactions: Honour

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I just placed my cat as Cash will not leave him alone...ever! Bunnies are even more unpredictable in their movements.

You could probably do some training with a lot of effort to get minimal progress. But I think you would be better off giving the bunny it's own room if at all possible. That way both animals are happy.

Reactions: Honour

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
I wouldn't trust mine with my cat let alone a rabbit. The risk is too high.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
We have a lot of wild rabbits where I live and my girl loves to stalk them...she has serious prey drive. Fortunately, she's never caught one. Rabbits and Dobermans as friends? No way.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
We had a Doberman that played great with a rabbit for years, but he was a very aggressive rabbit and she was a timid dog, she used to hunt wild rabbits and killed a cat once, but our rabbit ruled the property with an iron fist. When people came in the gate we would say don't worry about the dogs, worry about the rabbit... and he did attack a few people LOL

·
Registered
609 Posts
To me Rabbit= easy meal!

You have prey for pet and have predator for pet. Take a guess with pet will pre vale. Don't let the rabbit out with your dog, I don't see how this is even a question.

I wouldn't let my python play with my mouse....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course I have never let them out together. When they do see each other, she is on her leash and he is in his cage. I think I've worried a couple of you. I do not intend for them to be walking around together at all, but was wondering if she would just be more accepting (i.e. not so interested in him).

I've seen some instances where Dobies will actually nurture small animals (I've seen rabbits, kittens, and ferrets). But it's becoming clear that she's one that's not going to be accepting.

My two other dogs (not Dobes) and the rabbit got along perfectly fine, so to have her react this way is so different to us.

And yes, Okie-dobie, the rabbit has the entire upper floor to himself for exercise! If we do allow the dog upstairs, the rabbit is safely locked away in his room. We have had the rabbit for almost 8 years now and he has become a part of the family. For me to give the impression that I would let them out together saddened me, so I thought I would make that clear.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts