Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the boards. We have a 12 week old, female, red Doberman. Her name is Rose. She's doing really well with all of her training. The question I have is, will she start sleeping later? She's up every morning at 5:00 and she wines and barks until we have to get up and take her out. After that, she's hyped up and rarin' to go! We had a Jack Russell before and I don't remember her doing this. Rose sleeps in her kennel and is dry in the morning, before we take her out. Do you think she'd sleep longer in the bed with us?

This is not life threatening, I know, but we'd like to sleep until at least 6:30.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It sounds like she just has to go outside and do her business. At 12 weeks she she is not able to hold it for more than a few hours so the answer is yes it will get better but it will take some time. Make sure the last thing you do before going to sleep is take her out for a potty break even if you have to wake her to do it. That will give you as much time as possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah usually puppies will need to go early in the morning...once she is older she will be able to sleep more. just the "fun" part of having a puppy lol :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexus's internal alarm clock woke her up at about 5-5:30 everyday too as a young pup, as she got older, the time lengthed though. Just takes time :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
My male used to get me up. I would hear him whining at 5 am (crate next to my bed) and take him out right away and then put him back to bed after he finished his business. I became a very light sleeper. It got better.
I am lucky with the puppy I have now. She sleeps in until whenever I get up. Even on the weekends.
I make sure and take her out right before bed though and give her lots of time to do her thing.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mensa at twelve weeks was good for about 5 hours between having to go out. She would start whining when it was time.

Now at twenty weeks she can go about 8 hours.

I make sure I take her out last thing before we go to bed.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
depending what time you go to bed...maybe you can wake up shortly after you fall asleep...like for example, on the weekends...I can be up till 12 or 1am...so if you let her out then...maybe she will sleep later...or if you go to sleep earlier than that like 10 or 11....you can let her out around 2am so that maybe she sleeps in later.....??? I know I did that sometimes...cause its hard when at 5:30am and you have been in a deep sleep for so long to have to wake up fast and let the puppy out.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I let my dogs sleep on the bed because I want them to. I wouldn't recommend letting a dog sleep on the bed if you don't want them to just because you hope they'll let you sleep later. That said tho, yes, I have found that puppies sleep better and longer on the bed than in a crate.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
jolie said:
Hello, I'm new to the boards. We have a 12 week old, female, red Doberman. Her name is Rose. She's doing really well with all of her training. The question I have is, will she start sleeping later? She's up every morning at 5:00 and she wines and barks until we have to get up and take her out. After that, she's hyped up and rarin' to go! We had a Jack Russell before and I don't remember her doing this. Rose sleeps in her kennel and is dry in the morning, before we take her out. Do you think she'd sleep longer in the bed with us?

This is not life threatening, I know, but we'd like to sleep until at least 6:30.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hand on heart i promise you it will get better, within 2 weeks as she gets bigger(and she will in 2 weeks,they grow so fast)you will notice the times getting longer,i have just been through this as Mischa is 16 weeks old on tuesday.We crate her at night and she is holding herself pretty well now,i would not let her sleep on the bed unless you are going to let her do it for the rest of her life,we let the pack on the bed for 30 mins then make them go to their own beds anb that is what they are used to and accept that.
We have to crate train anyhoo for when we have to bench our dogs for shows but i have found that to be best for me(and i get to have legroom in bed at night,dobes tend to want to spread themselves as wide as possible and having four it becomes a problem).
Persevere it will get better!!
:emo11: :help_up_2

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Just don't make the mistake I made :) When Chi was still a young pup, we got on the schedule of up and out to potty at about 5:45 and then breakfast. She still ( a year later ) is up at 6 whether she has to potty or not for breakfast!
But, she does sleep better in the bed than in the kennel - Just now when she wakes me, it's by dropping a remote or a shoe on my head rather than whining :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess I'm real lucky because Karma, our 11 week old, has slept through the night since we got her at 8 weeks. We go to bed around 10-11 and my wife has to get up at 5:30 for work but after a little whining when the alarm goes off, she goes right back to sleep until around 7. And she doesn't get her first meal until 10 so she doesn't get up just to eat. Like my wife and I, she's not a "morning" type.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts