Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i get my two 6 month old male puppies to be comfortable on a leash?? ive had a problem with since ive had them. in the past, for vet visits, ive just had to pick them up. but now, i cannot pick up 130lbs of puppy. i've tried treats, but they just stare at me like im crazy. please offer any advice you may have. thanks :please:

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,570 Posts
Is the leash always the problem, or is it more that they won't go into places you want them to because of their fear of strange places?

If it is just the leash's presence (which I somehow doubt) put the leash on them all the time (supervised) and let them it drag around the house and even outside until they get used to it. Simultaneously also work on getting them to follow you around without a leash--you can use a toy or just a lot of praise if food doesn't work--make it fun! You can also give a cue--I use a tongue click noise--that tells them when you want them to move along with you. Then put the leash and the tongue click together to get a dog walking on the leash. Also make sure you train them individually so that each is learning his lessons independently and not just following the other dog's lead.

Fear of strange places is a more complicated problem.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
How can i get my two 6 month old male puppies to be comfortable on a leash?? ive had a problem with since ive had them. in the past, for vet visits, ive just had to pick them up. but now, i cannot pick up 130lbs of puppy. i've tried treats, but they just stare at me like im crazy. please offer any advice you may have. thanks :please:
How long have you had them? Were they socialized before you got them?

I would put the leash on, get a clicker and wait. Don't hold the leash. Let it be on the ground. Wait wait wait and wait. The SECOND the puppy moves a foot, click treat. I would do this invidually.

another way would be to use a piece of yarn at first if you don't get progress with a leash.

I also just noticed you have 2 males. Have you read the threads on male/male aggression? It's common in our breed and might be something to be aware of if you aren't.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I did what Melbrod advises with Finn - put a leash on him in the house for a while every day and just let him wander around with it. Then I'd pick up the end of the leash and follow him around so he got used to me holding the leash. Then I did little sessions getting him to walk along beside me, using a clicker and treats to keep him there.

But he made the most progress when he understood that leash = walkies. He's only 4 months and 5 days old and I certainly wouldn't describe him as fully leash-trained yet but we get around just fine in a weavy stop-and-starty way. Some way to go yet with walking nicely though!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I did what Crow has described with Finn, although I didn't use the clicker.

I placed the leash on Bella, a short one, and she just wore it around the house when she very little....SUPERVISED.

Then, I'd hold it, as we went from task to task around the house, using that desire puppies have to be with their people and lots of praise.

OB Training classes are also very useful, as your interaction with the leash relating to your dog, gives that message to your dog, that being leashed is connected with focus on you and following your directions.

Little by little, inch by inch, it begins to all come together.

It's all about the training.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Please tell me this is an exaggeration? Because if your 6 month old male weighs 130 pounds, it's kind of a given that he wouldn't be able to walk. lol.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I thought that was two puppies added together??
Oh, okay, wow, I completely missed the "two" and the "puppies," somehow, phew, I was thinking HOLY COW, how does it get THAT big? lol Thank you for clarifying that for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts